I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Even more worried wife now

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 11:26

Hi again, I posted on 8th November and things have progressed. My husband has a psa 27 and has had an MRI. We are waiting on a biopsy and bone scan. On Saturday night we ended up in A&E as he could not urinate and he had to have a catheter fitted. We have spoken to our doctor and we are chasing the biopsy. The MRI scan was on 11th October and we had a call on the 8th November to say they could see something on the MRI but needed to biopsy and bone scan. This morning we received a letter from the hospital that should have gone to our GP saying T3a ? N1 M?. We are scared and confused and have no idea what these numbers mean. Can anyone help please as we are very worried. Thank you for your help. 

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 15:53

You are looking at cancer which has spread outside the prostate [T3a]. Commonly this can be the seminal vesicles. There is also spread to lymph nodes [N1]. If the question marks were from the Dr. they're indicating that it there are details as yet unknown about the cancer both within the prostate and where it might be, nearby. The M? tells you that as yet it's unknown if there's been any spread to other parts of the body or bones.

When your husband has a biopsy it will be possible to be more exact about the extent and spread of the cancer in his prostate. He will also be given a Gleason rating. The bone scan will tell you if there's been spread to bones anywhere in his body.

More detail is needed. Treatment of one sort of another will be needed but from the information you have so far you are looking at cancer that is treatable. Until you have the biopsy and bone scan results you're in a difficult state of limbo where it's not possible to be certain about what comes next but while the news so far is distressing it's not dire.

prostate cancer staging

Jules

Edited by member 23 Nov 2022 at 15:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 20:00

Hopefully your husband will get the biopsy and full diagnosis very soon. 
Take a look at our profile. My husband was originally diagnosed T3a N1 M1b (although the M1b was changed after second opinion). My husband did have operation but we went into it knowing it was likely he would need radiotherapy also because of lymph node spread. His surgeon removed 14 nodes and so far (11 months on) he still has an undetectable PSA and hasn’t needed any further treatment yet. When rob was originally diagnosed we just thought the worst and we feel so lucky that it’s been far from that for us. Of course we would have preferred he didn’t get it but things have been very manageable so far and life is really good….we just pray it continues.

Best of luck to you both.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 20:11

Thank you so much Elaine. This is so reassuring. We’re chasing the biopsy appointment tomorrow. As you say nobody wants to be here but here is where we are. 

Edited by member 23 Nov 2022 at 20:12  | Reason: Missed name

User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 13:38

My only thought is that the catheter could be irritating the bladder and causing some bleeding. When my husband had his catheter in after the operation he had some bleeding (to be expected of course because of the op)….his bag definitely went more pink though when we were walking more and we assumed this could be what I mentioned above. 

Always best if you are unsure though to get advice from a medical professional, there will be other more regular catheter users on here that might be able to provide you with info too. 

User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 14:37

AJR, I try and avoid using the word normal and if in doubt you should always seek medical advice. I have had numerous urethral catheters and now have a permanent suprapubic catheter. I see anything from small blood clots to red wine colour urine in my bag. Debris, sediment and small bits of blood are a frequent occurrence.

What is normal for me may be abnormal for your OH. After salvage RT my oncology and radiology department said my large blood clots and tissue were probably normal, how wrong they were.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 15:53

You are looking at cancer which has spread outside the prostate [T3a]. Commonly this can be the seminal vesicles. There is also spread to lymph nodes [N1]. If the question marks were from the Dr. they're indicating that it there are details as yet unknown about the cancer both within the prostate and where it might be, nearby. The M? tells you that as yet it's unknown if there's been any spread to other parts of the body or bones.

When your husband has a biopsy it will be possible to be more exact about the extent and spread of the cancer in his prostate. He will also be given a Gleason rating. The bone scan will tell you if there's been spread to bones anywhere in his body.

More detail is needed. Treatment of one sort of another will be needed but from the information you have so far you are looking at cancer that is treatable. Until you have the biopsy and bone scan results you're in a difficult state of limbo where it's not possible to be certain about what comes next but while the news so far is distressing it's not dire.

prostate cancer staging

Jules

Edited by member 23 Nov 2022 at 15:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 16:26

Thank you for your reply. That makes things a little clearer and to hear this is treatable based on what we know so far is also good. This is such an awful time and I'm pleased to have found this forum. Thanks again.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 19:47

Yes, this is probably the toughest bit. Perhaps I could have added that where cancer has spread outside the prostate treatment is usually by radiotherapy because surgery can't remove the extensions effectively. Radiotherapy with hormone therapy is equally effective in treating cancer, so this could be the path ahead of you.

Jules

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 20:00

Hopefully your husband will get the biopsy and full diagnosis very soon. 
Take a look at our profile. My husband was originally diagnosed T3a N1 M1b (although the M1b was changed after second opinion). My husband did have operation but we went into it knowing it was likely he would need radiotherapy also because of lymph node spread. His surgeon removed 14 nodes and so far (11 months on) he still has an undetectable PSA and hasn’t needed any further treatment yet. When rob was originally diagnosed we just thought the worst and we feel so lucky that it’s been far from that for us. Of course we would have preferred he didn’t get it but things have been very manageable so far and life is really good….we just pray it continues.

Best of luck to you both.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 20:04

Could he be started on ADT treatment with the information you have already? Seems like they have enough information to start treatment?

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 20:11

Thank you so much Elaine. This is so reassuring. We’re chasing the biopsy appointment tomorrow. As you say nobody wants to be here but here is where we are. 

Edited by member 23 Nov 2022 at 20:12  | Reason: Missed name

User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 13:17

Just wondering if anyone can ease my mind again. My husband has a catheter in after his visit to A&E for urine retention last weekend. We're waiting on our biopsy. Last Sunday and today he's seen some blood in his urine just twice and what looks like some debris. His urine is clear for infection and I wonder if anyone has had the same with a catheter. He's never had blood in his urine before the catheter was fitted. Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks all. 

User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 13:38

My only thought is that the catheter could be irritating the bladder and causing some bleeding. When my husband had his catheter in after the operation he had some bleeding (to be expected of course because of the op)….his bag definitely went more pink though when we were walking more and we assumed this could be what I mentioned above. 

Always best if you are unsure though to get advice from a medical professional, there will be other more regular catheter users on here that might be able to provide you with info too. 

User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 14:37

AJR, I try and avoid using the word normal and if in doubt you should always seek medical advice. I have had numerous urethral catheters and now have a permanent suprapubic catheter. I see anything from small blood clots to red wine colour urine in my bag. Debris, sediment and small bits of blood are a frequent occurrence.

What is normal for me may be abnormal for your OH. After salvage RT my oncology and radiology department said my large blood clots and tissue were probably normal, how wrong they were.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 14:48

Thank you Chris and Elaine.

We’re just going to see the nurse at our GP now.