I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wilko Johnson RIP

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 22:50

Cause of death has not yet been announced. So this post is not directly prostate cancer related. However it is very much related to how we can live with cancer.

I should imagine that the age group of this forum means we have all at least heard of Wilko Johnson, if not I guess you should Google him. 

When diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and offered chemo, he rejected the treatment and decided to do a farewell gig tour instead. 

All cancers are different, the treatments are different, and us individuals are different. However WJ's story does show we may get a choice between living a short life brightly or a long life dimly, and we get to choose. WJ's story has a twist in the tail, in his case he managed to live a long life brightly.

The take away from this story is not the lucky twist* at the end, but the decision he made at the beginning. The lucky twist is just what makes it news worthy.

(*Having a 3kg endocrine tumour is not normally considered good luck)

Dave

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 22:50

Cause of death has not yet been announced. So this post is not directly prostate cancer related. However it is very much related to how we can live with cancer.

I should imagine that the age group of this forum means we have all at least heard of Wilko Johnson, if not I guess you should Google him. 

When diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and offered chemo, he rejected the treatment and decided to do a farewell gig tour instead. 

All cancers are different, the treatments are different, and us individuals are different. However WJ's story does show we may get a choice between living a short life brightly or a long life dimly, and we get to choose. WJ's story has a twist in the tail, in his case he managed to live a long life brightly.

The take away from this story is not the lucky twist* at the end, but the decision he made at the beginning. The lucky twist is just what makes it news worthy.

(*Having a 3kg endocrine tumour is not normally considered good luck)

Dave

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 14:35

If anyone is interested this film featuring Wilko post diagnosis is quite inspirational, if not a little arty for some tastes.

https://youtu.be/zLLPsGoBtF8

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 10:08

Here here Dave! Well said. Hope you are well and positive as always! 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 10:08

Here here Dave! Well said. Hope you are well and positive as always! 

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 14:35

If anyone is interested this film featuring Wilko post diagnosis is quite inspirational, if not a little arty for some tastes.

https://youtu.be/zLLPsGoBtF8

User
Posted 26 Nov 2022 at 09:25

Hi SR12,

Yes I'm doing well and feeling good. I've got a PSA test mid December. I'll keep everyone informed on my main thread.

Dave

User
Posted 26 Nov 2022 at 15:13

Hi Dave, Interesting theme.   

Those who took the music route at 16 were gambling on at least a shorter brighter life and maybe they carry that risk profile into their treatment choices.   Such people are the great explorers of our age making riskier choices to inspire us by leaving in glory.

I can't say I've heard of Wilko, he's a musical generation away from me.  I'll look up his obituary.     Keep well, Peter

User
Posted 26 Nov 2022 at 15:53
I can’t remember where I saw it but the interview where he said he felt so embarrassed after his “ final tour “ and he kept on living indicated to me he was a decent chap, and of course a unique guitar player.

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 26 Nov 2022 at 20:08

He was not the most skillful player in the vein of Eddie Van Halen, but he had a style all of his own which was completely unparalleled by anyone else, which makes him a great player IMHO. Completely inspirational attitude to his diagnosis... 

User
Posted 27 Nov 2022 at 12:01

Thanks for the YouTube link. I watched it a few years ago, but good to see again.

A good point about those who embark on a music career are predisposed for burning brightly.

I missed out on seeing the Rolling Stones "final tour" in the early 80s but managed to see them on another "final tour" in the 90s. With WJ his "final tour" was about playing music until his dieing day.

Dave