I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

TURP Operation before RT

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 09:03

So there I was thinking RT was for me, then the doctor strikes a warning note about my urine hesitancy. Often it is around 15 to 25 seconds, but can be as short as 3 or 4, sometimes 30 plus.

So maybe I need TURP, so I look it up and once again like RARP, it means a hospital stay. Its not a major op but its not a walk in the park either.

Any views, exoeriences , thanks as ever Tony 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 13:26

I had a TURP in 2013 prior to having radiotherapy.  I had a catheter prior to that and the RT couldn’t be done while the catheter was in place  The procedure was fairly straightforward, I had the catheter again for the three days I was in hospital, once they removed it and were sure I could pee ok I was allowed to go home.  For a few days I peed blobs of blood but after that it was fine.  It made so much of a difference for the better.

Arthur

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 18:31
I had a TURP in 2016 prior to RT (which started Nov 2016, delay not for any specific reason). Leading up to the TURP, I self characterised which was no problem after first couple of goes must admit I was quite anxious but after that it was fine. Was also on Tamsulosin leading up to the op.

Op no problem. I hadn't had any stage in hospital before then fortunately. Stayed in 2 nights, catheter in until after 2nd night, they checked I could empty bladder etc and discharged early afternoon. I was advised that some time in future may need to have another TURP.

The RT I think has an effect on uretha so if there's an issue before RT there may be a bigger issue during/after treatment.

Peter

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 23:14

Hi Tony - have you tried Tamsulosin? - it helps to improve flow - and I found it worked for me, I could be waiting up to a minute or more before starting sometimes, now I am pretty much straight away most of the time.

Rgds,

Nick

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 13:26

I had a TURP in 2013 prior to having radiotherapy.  I had a catheter prior to that and the RT couldn’t be done while the catheter was in place  The procedure was fairly straightforward, I had the catheter again for the three days I was in hospital, once they removed it and were sure I could pee ok I was allowed to go home.  For a few days I peed blobs of blood but after that it was fine.  It made so much of a difference for the better.

Arthur

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 15:35

Hi AW, thanks a lot for information and so good it worked out fine for you. 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 18:31
I had a TURP in 2016 prior to RT (which started Nov 2016, delay not for any specific reason). Leading up to the TURP, I self characterised which was no problem after first couple of goes must admit I was quite anxious but after that it was fine. Was also on Tamsulosin leading up to the op.

Op no problem. I hadn't had any stage in hospital before then fortunately. Stayed in 2 nights, catheter in until after 2nd night, they checked I could empty bladder etc and discharged early afternoon. I was advised that some time in future may need to have another TURP.

The RT I think has an effect on uretha so if there's an issue before RT there may be a bigger issue during/after treatment.

Peter

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 19:41

Thanks for reply Peter.

Yes the doctor advised me that if I was suffering a lot of urine hesitancy things might close up altogether after RT. Hence maybe I need TURP pre RT.

However my hesitancy varies a lot. I'm starting to use my phone stopwatch to get accurate timing. Basically it can be between 3 and 30 seconds.

If I really need to go then the flow starts pretty fast, but if I'm at home say and get a little twinge, can take a while to start. 

Edited by member 24 Nov 2022 at 19:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 23:14

Hi Tony - have you tried Tamsulosin? - it helps to improve flow - and I found it worked for me, I could be waiting up to a minute or more before starting sometimes, now I am pretty much straight away most of the time.

Rgds,

Nick

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 23:36

Hi Nick, thanks very much for information, no I havent tried that treatment. 

I'll check it out, am seeing my main doctor next month for a final decision, so can ask him about that, and much else besides 😱

If I'm cleared to have RT without HT or TURP I'm going for that rather than op

Edited by member 24 Nov 2022 at 23:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 09:52
Cool, obvs it might not be suitable for you but worth an enquiry. Good Luck!