Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Waiting times for biopsy

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 15:33

Hello,

Firstly thank you to everyone that posts on these forums, I have found it such a useful resource in recent weeks.

My partner has a raised PSA level of 11.1 (September) , he has had an MRI (Mid October) and that has shown 9mm lesion. He has been referred for a biopsy but this is not until 6th January. Is this sort of wait normal or is it because of back logs ?

He hasn't had an appointment with a consultant or anyone else yet and only knows about the lesion as he telephoned to ask why about his MRI results.

I'm just looking for some reassurance that the wait is ok I think :) 

Many thanks

Vicky

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 17:14

Hi Vicky,

I think it could be due to back logs or even just a postcode lottery sometimes. My husband had his MRI scan on a Sunday, a phone call followed on Friday to book him in a week on mon & tues for biopsy and bone scan. 
It could be his was quicker as they suspected a bone met in his pelvis or it could have been that things had been put off for a year with covid and he had a PSA rise from 5.1 to 8.3.

People often say that it’s not too important with the delays as prostate cancer can be slow growing. I’m particularly impatient though so would probably be ringing each day for cancellations. 

Good luck with the biopsy and results. 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 19:26

Thanks Elaine, I think it's probably back logs and like you I'm not feeling very patient. I hadn't thought of ringing for cancellations - will see if that's possible. Thanks again 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 20:20

Hello Vicky,

NHS Scotland

MRI 04/22. On the 05/22 I received a letter that maximum waiting times could not be met due to the backlog due to Covid. I eventually received my biopsy on 08/22, four months from the scan date.

After my biopsy I then received a letter informing me that my patient rights of being offered a date within twelve weeks had not been met.

Rgds
Dave

Edited by member 24 Nov 2022 at 20:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 21:53

Hello Dave

I didn't know it should be with 12 weeks, might explain why the appointment is 11 weeks after the MRI. Guess it could be worse then, will try to be patient 🙂 

Thank you 

Vicky