I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pirad 4 - Prosate 80cc

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 08:03

Can anyone give me a quick answer please.

My husband had a MRI a couple of weeks ago and has an appointment for a biopsy this morning.  His appointment letter says that the MRI showed a prostate size of 80cc and a PIRAD of 4.  I have read online that this means it is likely he has cancer.  Before we go to the hospital can anyone tell me what happens next?  With a PIRAD of 4 will he be monitored or will it mean treatment?  I know nothing can be confirmed until the biopsy but I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 10:46

Hi

So the biopsy will determine whether it is cancer and it's type. There is a chance that it might not be cancer.

After the biopsy you will be given a Gleason score. A course of treatment will also be offered upon firm diagnosis based upon all the information from the MRI and Biopsy.

Question what was the PSA level, did you not get a 'T' score as well. That should have been provided. The T score provides information about whether the legion is determined by the radiologist to be localised, or if there is spread outside the prostrate.

Example my PSA  8.75. PRIADS 4 T2a N0 Mx

It's a worrying time, made worse by waiting for results, we've all been there. Ask for advice from the prostate cancer nurses on this site, they are fantastic. You could also contact Macmillan as well.

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 14:29

A prostate of 80cc is very large.  I'd be hoping it's a benign problem with a prostate that big.

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 11:30

My husband had an enlarged prostate (not sure of numbers) and raised PSA, though only 4.7. MRI showed 2 suspicious lesions, pi-rads 4 so he had biopsies, which all came back clear. Once I heard about the pi-rads 4 I was convinced it would come back as cancer, was such a relief when it wasn't. But I did find educating myself on outcomes, which are mainly positive, really helped me prepare for the potential cancer diagnosis. My husband on the other hand was very calm, just had the wait and see attitude. He will be checked again in 6 months.

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 12:04
So great news then but ensure to stick with monitoring as situations can change over time.
Barry