I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How to loose weight around gut

User
Posted 26 Nov 2022 at 06:31

Hi folks , I've been on hormone treatment now for 2 year and I've gained a large belly , I was told that this would happen by consultant die to lack of testosterone,  can any one recommend how I can loose it or will I have to just live with it ..thank you 

User
Posted 26 Nov 2022 at 09:23

No easy answer to that one. At the same time in my HT I had the misfortune to have a truly horrible attack of food poisoning that caused me to lose about 3kg before I started eating significantly again. It turned out to be a useful turning point in the weight gain creep and since then Ive been on a mission to lose weight and get back to where I was before HT.

I'm succeeding but it's taking a lot of discipline and basically .... eating less! I think francij1 changed his diet over to lots of leafy greens and found it made a fairly natural way to keep weight down, without too much stress. I've found that it feels a lot better to be carrying around less bulk and that's been an incentive to keep at it. Exercise helps.

Jules

User
Posted 26 Nov 2022 at 10:18

I lost 10kg and have kept it off by cutting out breakfast and avoiding bread and potatoes.

Leafy veg are "unlimited", meat and fish are "reasonable portions", root veg are "occasional", potatoes and bread (wholemeal) are a weekend treat. I do probably still eat too much fruit but hey I still lost 10kg. Fruit juice and anything soda are definitely off the menu.

So basically a combination of low carb and 14/10 fasting.

The evidence for low carb being the fix for just about everything is mounting and I suspect will drive a sea change in everything cholesterol, diabetes, hypertension and heart.

The presentations on this channel (all medical doctors with study references) are an excellent watch if you want to understand why saturated fat is actually good and carbohydrates are really bad.

https://youtube.com/@lowcarbdownunder

Kellogg's and the seventh day Adventist propaganda from the 1950s has had a lasting impact on food and health. Still today a breakfast cereal with 20% sugar is considered more healthy than salmon. Breakfast cereal is probably the single largest contributor to diabetes and furred up arteries on the planet!

Edited by member 26 Nov 2022 at 10:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Nov 2022 at 11:58
Hi Bobby,

Before my PCa diagnosis I was on a low carb/keto diet. Like francij1 said cutting out carbs is a great way to lose weight. I also lost about 10kg.

Like all diets it does need an element of self control.

I found this to be a useful book ( mods feel free to delete if against the rules )

The Diabetes weight loss cookbook by Katie & Giancarlo Caldesi

I am not diabetic however I found it good for weight loss. One of the interesting ingredients they use is psyllium husk. This is used as a binding agent and it is not everybody’s cup of tea. It’s main effect is it can work as a laxitve. I don’t mind it and some times I will have a teaspoon of it in a mug of hot water.

I usually try to kick start my diet by not drinking alcohol for a month. Wrong time of year for that.

I had my LDR Brachytherapy procedure five days ago and all I seem to want to eat is pork pies and cake!🧁

Hence the need for the gentle laxative Lactulose😂 ( part of the problem is probably from the anaesthetic )

On Monday I will try and get my diet on track again and I won’t be drinking alcohol until I have stopped passing a small amount of blood in my urine.

Of course this all comes with the usual warning check with a health professional before a radical change in diet!

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 26 Nov 2022 at 13:34

Well I certainly can't give any good dietary advice. I wouldn't say I was unhealthily fat, but I'm sure a doctor would. And I have noticed when watching Love Island that I seem to have a different physique to most of the contestants.

I definitely don't want to take away from francij and Dave's sensible advice. As francij says we have been subject to propaganda for at least 80 years, and the advice keeps changing. Eggs being a notable one for going in and out of fashion each decade. I've just seen a doctor on tiktok (probably not a peer reviewed scientific channel) saying ignore everything you've heard about cholesterol.

When it comes to salt, only 25% of the population are sensitive to salt. Yet we have politicians looking pompous and proselytizing about salt, taxing it and giving us all advice about it. I say give everyone a salt sensitivity test on the NHS help the people who need it and let the others get on with their lives. Apparently 90% of people eat twice the recommended salt intake, but I really can't see why there is a recommended salt intake at all for the 75% of the population it doesn't affect.

So my advice is whatever is currently considered good dietary advice you can ignore because it will change tomorrow. 

Our ancestry suggests we started in trees eating fruit, then ate some meat, did a bit of cooking, and quite recently planted a bit of wheat. We have partially evolved to cope with these changes, but let's be honest we haven't even evolved to get the walking on two feet sorted yet, and the digestive system really needs a makeover. As far as evolution is concerned living long enough to produce two offspring is considered a success, anything more is a bonus.

Whatever you decide to eat make sure you enjoy it.

(p.s. I know even if you're not sensitive to salt eating a kilogram of it in a day will kill you)

Dave

User
Posted 26 Nov 2022 at 14:36

When I saw your post I wondered if going on hormones made it inevitable that fat would move to your waist and hips.   Although most are suggesting a change in diet.

We've always been label watchers and hardly eat meat.  Our regime is never buy anything that has more than 5g of saturated fat per portion and watch the sugar levels.   That cuts out biscuits, pies, cake and chocolate but you can have them every now and then.

If you're keener cut out meat with fat, chicken is OK, cut excess fat off bacon etc.

We banned biscuits, chocolate and cake from our house 2 years ago after our GP health check up and lost 5kg each in 6 months.   Those temptations once in the house are hard to resist. 

It's a way of life and like packing up smoking, not having sugar in tea, not layering on the salt it becomes a norm and you wonder how anyone could do those things.

Peter

User
Posted 27 Nov 2022 at 08:20

Thank you all for as usual the great replies, I shall take info on board , and try and shift this spate tyre ,, keep well and stay safe my brothers