I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA  0.8 up from 0.4 a year ago so we are in advanced metastatic territory

User
Posted 27 Nov 2022 at 11:13

my husband latest PSA  0.8 up from 0.4 a year ago so we assume we are in advanced metastatic territory and wondering about options to discuss with consultant on Th.  I read some posts last week about a new-ish targeted radiotherapy which I'd like to ask him about but I cant remember the name or  find the posts - anyone know what its called? 

Thanks

Kerry

User
Posted 27 Nov 2022 at 13:40

Hi Kerry,

Looking at your bio I can’t see that your husband has ever had RT before…is that correct? Will he have a PSMA pet scan? This will show where the cancer is and I would have thought it could still be localised and treated with curative intent. If it has metastasised further away then I think it depends on how many areas there are as to what they will treat. I’m sure someone with more knowledge of this will reply soon. Although I have read about the different types of RT I don’t know enough to advise you. Good luck with your appointment and keep us posted. 

Elaine

User
Posted 27 Nov 2022 at 14:16

Kerry, has he been having regular PSA tests. A PSA greater than 0.2 in our area would trigger further action.

I had surgery in 2014 followed by salvage RT in 2017. Following a  second recurrence after SRT they did allow my PSA to rise to 1.4 before triggering a PSMA scan.

This year following a second recurrence I had a PSMA scan followed by SABR treatment to a single lymph node tumor.

Added , Just check your decimal point positions.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 27 Nov 2022 at 14:20  | Reason: Added comment

User
Posted 27 Nov 2022 at 15:05

Was it SABR or nano-knife?

As he had surgery in 2014 he should have been having psa checks to 2019 at the hospital and then annually at the GP.   What was the reading in 2019, 2020?

It seems odd to go to 0.4 from a very low level.  As Chris says, is the decimal point right?  0.04 would sound more likely, although you never know.

Edited by member 27 Nov 2022 at 15:08  | Reason: Not specified