I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sharp pains post surgery

User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 14:30

Greetings. I had surgery   exactly a week ago. About 4 days ago I stated having intense bouts of pain, starting in lower penis and then the gut area, sometimes at the rear end. They last about 10 to 15 minutes. I am having 3 to 4 attacks a day of different severity. I can only cope by being upright (I think). I am following all eating guidelines. I think they are in line with actual or attempted bowl movements, which are happening but not back to normal. I phoned my hospital who seemed to suggest that there was nothing abnormal. I am due to visit anyway on Wednesday for catheter removal.  Grateful to know of similar issues/outcomes/resolutions. Very keen to find a way of managing pain during attacks. Thanks all. 

User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 16:54

Hello,

I did not have surgery last Monday I had brachytherapy.

I think the anaesthetic can play havoc with bowel movements. Before my procedure I was on a high fibre diet so generally bowel movements were very straight forward. However this time after I got out of hospital I was straining for a bowel movement and it caused blood in my urine.

The force of trying must put a lot of pressure on the bladder and surrounding area and after surgery I imagine there must be a lot going on down there.

I was prescribed Lactulose by my local pharmacy. This is a very gentle laxative ( you will not be dashing to the toilet after taking it ) and this made my stools much softer and easier to pass. The blood in the urine then stopped due to less exertion.

Sorry I cannot be any more specific and always check with a medical professional before taking new medication.
Rgds
Dave

Edited by member 28 Nov 2022 at 17:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 17:41

Graham, about an hour after my second unsuccessful attempt to pass that first post op motion, I was in an ambulance on the way to hospital. After a few hours in A&E I was discharged with the thought it was probably constipation. 

You could be getting bladder spasms caused by the catheter, mine normally last a few minutes.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 17:47

Thanks Chris,

When it first happened and was so intense we called an ambulance. It was frightening. Anyway, they came, spoke with my oncologist and others and decided it was nothing worth admitting me for (although they offered .  Good to know I am not alone. Hope all is well with you.

Graham

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 00:58
So, nearly 3 weeks later. I had the catheter removed and managed to pee 3 times in the surgery before returning home. Some 18 hours later the most intense pain I have ever felt stared when I tried and failed to pass urine. This time I was admitted to hospital and a scan showed I had a leak and urine in several wrong places. It really was agony, only partly relieved by morphine. A few hours later I had a catheter inserted again and the relief was instant. I filled dup the bag very quickly.

After 3 days in hospital to keep an eye on me, I was send home. Basically pain free since. 3 days ago the catheter was removed (after 15 days, so a total of 25 days) and I have had a pain free weekend with fairly normal urine flows and bowl movements. Happily, no incontinence yet, H have not had any caffeine, alcohol or red meet for the past 6 weeks (2 before surgery) and have been doing pelvic floor exercises again.

My surgeon said my symptoms were very unusual so I hope most here avoid/avoided them. But it was frightening for a while.

Starting to take longer walks now and gradually hope to return to 'normal' over coming weeks.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 20:12
I think you have probably earned a big fat steak now!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 16:54

Hello,

I did not have surgery last Monday I had brachytherapy.

I think the anaesthetic can play havoc with bowel movements. Before my procedure I was on a high fibre diet so generally bowel movements were very straight forward. However this time after I got out of hospital I was straining for a bowel movement and it caused blood in my urine.

The force of trying must put a lot of pressure on the bladder and surrounding area and after surgery I imagine there must be a lot going on down there.

I was prescribed Lactulose by my local pharmacy. This is a very gentle laxative ( you will not be dashing to the toilet after taking it ) and this made my stools much softer and easier to pass. The blood in the urine then stopped due to less exertion.

Sorry I cannot be any more specific and always check with a medical professional before taking new medication.
Rgds
Dave

Edited by member 28 Nov 2022 at 17:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 17:22

Thanks Dave,

Appreciate the reply. Will be checking in with DR's Wednesday,  Have had a good afternoon on the bowl front!

Graham

User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 17:41

Graham, about an hour after my second unsuccessful attempt to pass that first post op motion, I was in an ambulance on the way to hospital. After a few hours in A&E I was discharged with the thought it was probably constipation. 

You could be getting bladder spasms caused by the catheter, mine normally last a few minutes.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 17:47

Thanks Chris,

When it first happened and was so intense we called an ambulance. It was frightening. Anyway, they came, spoke with my oncologist and others and decided it was nothing worth admitting me for (although they offered .  Good to know I am not alone. Hope all is well with you.

Graham

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 00:58
So, nearly 3 weeks later. I had the catheter removed and managed to pee 3 times in the surgery before returning home. Some 18 hours later the most intense pain I have ever felt stared when I tried and failed to pass urine. This time I was admitted to hospital and a scan showed I had a leak and urine in several wrong places. It really was agony, only partly relieved by morphine. A few hours later I had a catheter inserted again and the relief was instant. I filled dup the bag very quickly.

After 3 days in hospital to keep an eye on me, I was send home. Basically pain free since. 3 days ago the catheter was removed (after 15 days, so a total of 25 days) and I have had a pain free weekend with fairly normal urine flows and bowl movements. Happily, no incontinence yet, H have not had any caffeine, alcohol or red meet for the past 6 weeks (2 before surgery) and have been doing pelvic floor exercises again.

My surgeon said my symptoms were very unusual so I hope most here avoid/avoided them. But it was frightening for a while.

Starting to take longer walks now and gradually hope to return to 'normal' over coming weeks.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 04:48

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

After 3 days in hospital to keep an eye on me, I was send home. Basically pain free since. 3 days ago the catheter was removed (after 15 days, so a total of 25 days) and I have had a pain free weekend with fairly normal urine flows and bowl movements. Happily, no incontinence yet 

Really pleased to hear things have now settled down for you and hopefully no more painful episodes, and no incontinence.

My husband was very lucky after surgery that he didn’t experience anything like that. He had bladder neck reconstruction as part of the surgery so they decided to keep his catheter in for 2 weeks. When he arrived for TWOC they scanned his bladder area first and noticed a small leak. As a precaution they left his catheter in for another 2 weeks. After what you have just mentioned I’m really glad they did.

We thought the scan before removal must have been standard procedure but apparently not.  We had paid privately for his op and aftercare and thought then that was maybe why but again not the case. Someone had said at the time it was just a bit of a lottery again as to whether your hospital did it or not.

Wishing you all the best with your recovery 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 11:07
Thanks, Elaine.

I had a cystogram the second time. It wasn't suggested the first. I live overseas and have insurance, so this was private too. It does seem that a scan before the first removal would have saved quite a lot of trouble. Would be good to learn why this is not standard procedure.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 12:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Thanks, Elaine.

I had a cystogram the second time. It wasn't suggested the first. I live overseas and have insurance, so this was private too. It does seem that a scan before the first removal would have saved quite a lot of trouble. Would be good to learn why this is not standard procedure.

I know my surgeon checked that the joint was water tight during surgery, perhaps not all surgeons do. Doing too much post surgery can of course undo the surgeon's good work. Hope your recovery goes well. Sounds promising.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 20:12
I think you have probably earned a big fat steak now!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard