Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Concerning PSA results

User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 14:56

Hi

5 years a go my hubby had PC investigations. He had a fairly low PSA of 2.5, but DRE had detected nodules on prostrate and he was also having a lot of problems with urine output. We saw a consultant had an ultrasound and MRI. We were told there was nothing of concern found and hubby continued with medication for an enlarged prostate (though they said not that large). He’s had a few PSA checks over the 5 years, but think he got missed a bit as we moved house twice to new areas.

Since February our new surgery has monitored his PSA more closely, though only in October was the GP concerned enough to refer to urology. He has continued to have problems with passing urine, mostly at night, but has had a lot of issues with aches and pains, some quite severe and also from how he describes, nerve pain. He’s saw consultant last Thursday, who thought the DRE was ok, but has requested MRI, because of PSA.These are PSA results Feb 22 : 5.5, April 4.3, Sept 5.6, Oct 6.9. I was wandering what you guys think of these PSA readings and his history. I just feel we’ve been too lapse over the last 5 years, having too much faith in the MRI and what we were told.The jump of 1.3 in a month really concerns me.

karen

Edited by member 28 Nov 2022 at 15:44  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 16:38

The PSA bounces around a bit. So the last increase will probably reverse. Is he on finasteride? If so his real PSA may be twice what you are seeing. The aches and pains are almost certainly not prostate cancer related they are caused by growing old.

There is enough evidence to suggest investigation is justified. Being over 60 is the main risk factor. At the moment it would be hard to say this is likely to be anything beyond a very treatable cancer. It is also quite possible it will fall in to the category of "we need to keep on eye on it". Only when all the test results come in will we know for certain.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 17:35

Thanks for your reply Dave.

he is on Alfuzosin, which may act the same with PSA. Hubby is a very young  and fit 59 and started with symptoms around 50, but often says he feels more like 79. We shall have to wait and see how things go.