Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

50 yrs old and just had a 990 PSA

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 05:13

Hi everyone

On 31st August 2021 I had a bladder neck incision operation to help with weak urine flow, hesitation, voiding and urgency.   I've had these issues for as long as I could remember (age 25 at least) and it just got to the point it was affecting my life too much, and so I did the BNI.

As soon as I had the BNI my flow was better but I completely regretted it.  I got partial retrograde ejeculation and sexual activity just turned into a painful climax, so I had to write off that activity from my life.  It seems there was no PSA test done before my op because there had been no reason to.  In 2014 my PSA was 1.5 and a digit test in 2021 showed no issues.

Fast forward to 9th Nov 2022 (1 year and 2 months after my BNI) and I have an MRI to check a potential gallbladder issue, and they find mets in my lymph nodes, pelvis bone and lower spine.  A followup PSA test showed 990 and a second one from Saturday is 981.

I've been passed between consultants (gallbladder, blood oncologist, urologist) and on Thursday this week I go for a CT assisted biopsy on one of the lymph nodes they think they can reach (at least 15cm in from torso).  I then go on to a new oncologist for metastatic prostate cancer (if biopsy confirms it).

The urologist did a digit test a few days ago and found no firmness in my prostate, it was "squidgy all over" in his words which apparently has him stumped.  I asked about the BNI and apparently that would have only elevated my PSA for a short time after my op last year.

So at age 50 it looks like I'm joining the ranks here with a sudden knowledge of advanced PC, and I start my journey on treatments.  I have already started on Bicalutamide tablets (2 taken so far).

I am fairly calm about it in my own mind, my quality of life dropped significantly since my BNI and perhaps the aches and pains I've had over the last year have actually been related to the spread of my cancer.  I've had quite a few nights before my PC diagnosis where I would lie awake with abdomen pains wondering if there was any point going on, and now I've been handed a for-real chance to die in the comings years.

Of course it's not all about me, my wife and 15 yr old daughter and my wider family will suffer far more than me if I were to pass.  Most of them I've told already, but I've kept it from my daughter so far.

I have good Bupa coverage through work and so far they've been great (just taking a while to get the diagnosis locked down), but my mum is asking me every day to try to get myself to the royal Marsden in London for the best treatment options.   I'm just waiting for the biopsy result and then maybe I'll ask Bupa if I can be seen at the royal Marsden.

It seems like every day there is news about a new treatment being worked on or even tested, so I will try to seek out whatever I can, and would appreciate any advice from the community here.

Thanks in advance

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 12:18
The Royal Marsden, either in London or Sutton is a very good place for an opinion. They couldn't do my salvage HIFU there, at least at the time but did refer me to UCLH who were and probably leaders in Focal Therapy in the UK. However, I think it very unlikely that Focal Therapy will be offered as primary treatment in your case.
Barry
User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 09:55

Hi Barry,

I think it was your post I read when I first joined this forum about you being treated in London?  We are near Colchester but we are willing to travel.  I just wondered, if this was you posting about this, whether you would recommend this? 

User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 18:43
Sometimes a second opinion can offer an alternative approach but you have to be prepared for confirmation of already expressed treatment path. Also, you could be in a position where there is a difference and need to decide which to plump for. There are no certainties with PCa treatment and responses. I just felt PCa treatment was worth getting opinions from more than one reputable source and if this differed come to my own decision. However, certain hospitals are slow to give opinions due to the number of patients from all over the country looking for another opinion. So the potential consequences of delaying treatment may be an important factor in some situations. If this is an important factor, it might be possible to minimise delay by getting another opinion privately, something you could consider.
Barry
User
Posted 13 Dec 2022 at 12:40
As of yesterday everything has been confirmed as metastatic PC, with a biopsy and bone scan. They will be putting me on 3 things, the hormone injection, the Docetaxel chemo and Darolutamide tablet, which apparently is a new thing mixing all these at once for this stage of PC.
User
Posted 13 Dec 2022 at 14:25

Stay positive I know it's hard  good luck with your treatment gaz 👍