I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Urethra stricture after radio therapy

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 17:27

I'm strongly favouring UHRT over surgery. But one doctor noticed I sometimes took 20 seconds to start peeing. He said maybe RT might cause closure of urethra.

Usually, if I really need to go it's between 3 and 8 seconds, so maybe I'm okay.

As always any views, experience, etc greatly welcomed.

Thanks Tony

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 18:19
RT makes the prostate swell, which can cause "flow" issues, but in most cases the issue is sorted out by taking Tamsulosin, which works wonders.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 18:41
I had that issue. Oncologist was of the same opinion as yours, RT will make things a lot worse which isn't a good idea. I ended up on Tamsulosin with occasional intermittent self-catheterization until I had a TURP to cut part of prostate away to ease the pressure on uretha. Everything went fine, 2 night stay in hospital, things all went to plan. Self-catheterization and Tamsulosin stopped.

Peter

User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 18:12
Afraid I've never been good a keeping details, unless requested by medical people, iirc maybe only few seconds but can't be sure tho it wasn't a stupid length of time. Went thru the flow test procedures via urology. It was the oncologist that said TURP good idea, this was beginning of Jan 2016, had TURP May 2016.

Peter

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 18:19
RT makes the prostate swell, which can cause "flow" issues, but in most cases the issue is sorted out by taking Tamsulosin, which works wonders.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 18:41
I had that issue. Oncologist was of the same opinion as yours, RT will make things a lot worse which isn't a good idea. I ended up on Tamsulosin with occasional intermittent self-catheterization until I had a TURP to cut part of prostate away to ease the pressure on uretha. Everything went fine, 2 night stay in hospital, things all went to plan. Self-catheterization and Tamsulosin stopped.

Peter

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 19:22

Thanks very much for both answers. The doctor suggested maybe a TURP before RT.

But perhaps I can wait and see how RT goes, so maybe dont need TURP.

How many seconds did either of you typically have to wait to start peeing, pre treatment?

Thanks as ever, and what a great site, Tony. 

Edited by member 30 Nov 2022 at 19:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 18:12
Afraid I've never been good a keeping details, unless requested by medical people, iirc maybe only few seconds but can't be sure tho it wasn't a stupid length of time. Went thru the flow test procedures via urology. It was the oncologist that said TURP good idea, this was beginning of Jan 2016, had TURP May 2016.

Peter

User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 19:29

Thanks for kind reply again Peter

So seems you didnt have any real hesitancy issues pre RT. But the oncologist flagged up an issue nevertheless pre RT, if I understand correctly? 

Edited by member 01 Dec 2022 at 19:39  | Reason: Not specified