I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Side effects on prostap

User
Posted 04 Dec 2022 at 10:21

Hi everyone, my husband is currently half way through 28 days of Bicalutamide and had his first prostap injection last week. So far, he hasn’t really experienced any side effects apart from the occasional hot flush but all joints have started to ache, particularly his knees.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced aching joints whilst on prostap? 

User
Posted 04 Dec 2022 at 21:40

Thanks both for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. It sounds like my husband is doing ok at the moment and I guess everyone will have a different experience, I’m just hoping hoping it remains on a positive path, we both worry that every ache and pain means it’s spread, we awaiting the results of a bone scan so really hoping for it to be clear…it’s such an unpredictable disease though, we have started to tell ourselves to hope for the best but prepare for the worst!! 

Chris, I have read your profile and you have been on such a rollercoaster of a journey, I’m so happy your levels have dropped, I really hope this continues for you. My husband is 54 so a similar age, it’s so sad that you have to go through this, like all of the people on here, but it’s great everyone can support each other on this forum.

Thanks again to both of you for replying and I wish you the best of luck on your journeys 

Nic

User
Posted 05 Dec 2022 at 09:04

Hi all 

Have just read your thread and totally agree in what Chris and Decho are saying and can relate so much in what they are experiencing(hot flushes and bone ache)I like the comment made by Chris of "bone pain when your leaning"its hard sometimes to put into words when someone asks how are you feeling I find it hard sometimes to put into words how I am feeling because I've never felt this way before,I also strongly agree with them both on exercise I've always kept fit but have toned it down a bit with light weights in the garage every day and invested in an e-bike which I go on 2/3, times a week and do around 20miles at a time.

Hope you all keep as well as you can 

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 13:16
I've been on Prostap over 4 years. Got used to the hot flushes although they are still frequent but now I know when one is coming. Idid get pain in my finger joints early on so after a recommendation on here I started taking Pomi T tablets, still do, joint ache went away.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Dec 2022 at 15:20

I found that initially I got just mild hot flushes and thought ‘Ok if that’s all it is,  no problem’. Then after a few weeks on Prostap they hit me big time, up to 20 a day AND night sweats. I started taking Sage Leaf Capsules and I think they have improved the situation a bit but I’m going for my first acupuncture session on Tuesday hoping that might also help. I’ve been on it 5 months now and just waiting on RT date….then another 2 years of HT so I want to try and get it sorted as best I can so that I can have a better quality of life.  Many people also say that after a while your body adapts to the flashes and they get less frequent and severe.

The only other side effect I had from it was severe anxiety for which my GP prescribe Sertraline and this has helped a lot. I keep as active as possible , going to the gym most days to help with muscle loss, walk a lot and also go out in my ebike whenever I can. I think exercise is key to getting through this and also helps with the side effects and mental well-being. Also joined my local Maggies Centre Cancer support Group(wish I had done it sooner), go along to their weekly meetings and find that very helpful.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2022 at 15:56
I’ve now been on an HT equivalent called Decapeptyl for 2 years. I had osteoarthritis in my knees anyway and they are my biggest issue health-wise with lots of pain and weakness. I do get the hot flushes but to be honest they don’t bother me and I refuse to let them. I’ve not put a pound in weight on since starting and no moobs. Bone pain can be an issue if I lean on anything. Mental fog is noticeable. Libido still pretty healthy if I’m honest but it works well around my wife’s menopause. I stay very active if I can and am currently a farm hand and lollipop man. I do light weights each day and plenty of squats despite the pain , as I noticed my legs were getting very weak.

Good luck with it all !!

User
Posted 04 Dec 2022 at 21:40

Thanks both for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. It sounds like my husband is doing ok at the moment and I guess everyone will have a different experience, I’m just hoping hoping it remains on a positive path, we both worry that every ache and pain means it’s spread, we awaiting the results of a bone scan so really hoping for it to be clear…it’s such an unpredictable disease though, we have started to tell ourselves to hope for the best but prepare for the worst!! 

Chris, I have read your profile and you have been on such a rollercoaster of a journey, I’m so happy your levels have dropped, I really hope this continues for you. My husband is 54 so a similar age, it’s so sad that you have to go through this, like all of the people on here, but it’s great everyone can support each other on this forum.

Thanks again to both of you for replying and I wish you the best of luck on your journeys 

Nic

User
Posted 05 Dec 2022 at 09:04

Hi all 

Have just read your thread and totally agree in what Chris and Decho are saying and can relate so much in what they are experiencing(hot flushes and bone ache)I like the comment made by Chris of "bone pain when your leaning"its hard sometimes to put into words when someone asks how are you feeling I find it hard sometimes to put into words how I am feeling because I've never felt this way before,I also strongly agree with them both on exercise I've always kept fit but have toned it down a bit with light weights in the garage every day and invested in an e-bike which I go on 2/3, times a week and do around 20miles at a time.

Hope you all keep as well as you can 

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 05 Dec 2022 at 10:21

Been on prostrap for circa 22 months now, 3 monthly injections, hot flushes have calmed down, but still getting some aches in different places etc... Your just not sure whats down to prostrap or  getting older! Quite often something flares up in the week or so after the injection but i havent had anything too unexpected or overly onerous to date. I did have some aches in the joints of previously dislocated fingers for a while but that went away. Like the guys have already indicated i try and exercise regularly, mainly walking, without overdoing it. Best of luck with it.

Regards,
Nick

Edited by member 05 Dec 2022 at 11:47  | Reason: Addnl info

User
Posted 05 Dec 2022 at 19:11

Thanks Phil and Nick, I will make sure he exercises whilst on the injections, I think we keep worrying that the pain means it’s spread to the bones. We are awaiting the results from a bone scan so hopefully we will get those this week and they will be all clear.  It’s been a strange few weeks as my husband is Gleason 6, T3a but they are also testing his colon (goes in for a colonoscopy tomorrow) they’ve assured us it’s not cancer but the scan showed something they need to check as it will impact on the radiotherapy. My husband has a heart condition too, so we’re just hoping the radiotherapy can go ahead as he’s limited with other treatment options. 

There seems to be lots of surprises on this journey but this forum is so helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to respond, I’m a real worrier so it’s good to get some context to different side effects/situations so my mind doesn’t go into overdrive. 

I hope you’re keeping well 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 10:54

HT does cause a lot of side effects and every man reacts differently....see my blog for my story.... I had to stop early as it became life threatening.

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 13:16
I've been on Prostap over 4 years. Got used to the hot flushes although they are still frequent but now I know when one is coming. Idid get pain in my finger joints early on so after a recommendation on here I started taking Pomi T tablets, still do, joint ache went away.