I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Perineural Invasion (PNI)

User
Posted 09 Dec 2022 at 16:14

Speaking to Prostate Cancer UK today and didn’t realise how common perineural invasion (PNI) was with Prostate Cancer. My biopsy identified PNI but yet my PCa is contained within the prostate. Does RT target these areas as having RT in January? Or is it the more chance of reoccurrence in the future?

Andy

User
Posted 09 Dec 2022 at 17:26
There are two types of perineural invasion. The first, often identified during biopsy, is invasion of the neural pathways inside the prostate which has no link to increased risk of spread or likelihood of recurrence. The second type is invasion of the neural pathways outside the prostate which is often identified in the post-op pathology and can be an indicator of poor outcomes
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Dec 2022 at 18:44
That's how I am interpreting it, Andy.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Dec 2022 at 17:26
There are two types of perineural invasion. The first, often identified during biopsy, is invasion of the neural pathways inside the prostate which has no link to increased risk of spread or likelihood of recurrence. The second type is invasion of the neural pathways outside the prostate which is often identified in the post-op pathology and can be an indicator of poor outcomes

User
Posted 09 Dec 2022 at 18:19

Thanks Lyn. Would mine indicate the neural pathways inside the prostate as it’s localised and contained? Or am I wrong? 

Andy

User
Posted 09 Dec 2022 at 18:44
That's how I am interpreting it, Andy.