Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Urine flow rate before and after radiotherapy

User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 13:29

Hi all,

Been talking about flow rate on another thread, but as that thread deals with other subject matter too, thought it would be a good idea to have a thread specifically dealing with this subject. I know from other conversations not only is this a big issue for me, but is or has been for others too.

I am 70, G 3+4 and scheduled for ultra hypofractionated therapy (UHRT) next month. Like other RT, it will probably cause tissue damage so am hoping my urethra is in fairly good shape at least for the treatment. My doctor said if it took 15 seconds or more to pass the first dl (100 ml) of urine that could be a red flag for RT.

So I bought a measuring jug, and after a weekend of testing am averaging about 12.5 seconds for first dl. I make that a flow rate of about 8 ml per second.

I hope that is in the safety zone, and will be emailing my nurse later with results.

Would be very grateful for any info from other members of this wonderful forum re flow rates, pre or post RT.

Doesn't matter whether RT was high dose UHRT or any other type of RT, all info will be very welcome.

Best wishes to all, Tony

Edited by member 12 Dec 2022 at 14:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 14:42
Radiation commonly makes the prostate swell up (permanently) which reduces flow rates, but if this happens to you, you'll probably be prescribed Tamsulosin, which counteracts the issue extremely effectively.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 15:16

I had 37 fractions off radiotherapy and now my flow rate is a lot better than before treatment really good flow now πŸ‘

User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 15:24

Chris

I am still awaiting the result of my recent biopsy - 'no cancer being found' when I had my first biopsy in June 2020. I am assuming a positive result this time &, given that I am 75, imagine that treatment would be HT & RT.

I have a large prostate - my understanding is / was that HT is given to shrink the prostate & cancer before RT. I didn't appreciate that RT could subsequently enlarge my prostate again giving rise to a possible problem with retention. Any further information that you are able to offer on this topic would be much appreciated.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 16:08
I had permanent seed LDR brachytherapy three weeks ago. I was prescribed 400 micrograms of Tamsulosin per day. My β€œstream” seems normal, not great though and I have no delay in starting, I find I am going to the toilet more often during the day however I do not know if that is the meds or the cold weather.
I’m just thankful that there are a lot of trees and bushes on the afternoon dog walk!😳🀫
Rgds
Dave
User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 18:08

I am no expert but presume flow got better as tumour reduced but if anyone knows different please advise πŸ‘

User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 19:26
See my post above. My flow got worse - MUCH worse, until I was really struggling to pee at all - as my RT progressed, but Tamsulosin worked wonders and completely solved the problem. The swelling caused by the radiation is permanent and I'll be on Tamsulosin for life, but it's a small price to pay for having my cancer sorted.

Cheers,

Chris
User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 21:18
I was already on Tamsulosin prior to RT but the latter caused severe urgency and frequency, for a short time up to 8 times a night which I found very debilitating. However, this gradually decreased so by about a couple of months post RT I was back to my pre treatment once or twice a night, which it has largely remained to this day.
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 14:42
Radiation commonly makes the prostate swell up (permanently) which reduces flow rates, but if this happens to you, you'll probably be prescribed Tamsulosin, which counteracts the issue extremely effectively.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 15:16

I had 37 fractions off radiotherapy and now my flow rate is a lot better than before treatment really good flow now πŸ‘

User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 15:24

Chris

I am still awaiting the result of my recent biopsy - 'no cancer being found' when I had my first biopsy in June 2020. I am assuming a positive result this time &, given that I am 75, imagine that treatment would be HT & RT.

I have a large prostate - my understanding is / was that HT is given to shrink the prostate & cancer before RT. I didn't appreciate that RT could subsequently enlarge my prostate again giving rise to a possible problem with retention. Any further information that you are able to offer on this topic would be much appreciated.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 16:08
I had permanent seed LDR brachytherapy three weeks ago. I was prescribed 400 micrograms of Tamsulosin per day. My β€œstream” seems normal, not great though and I have no delay in starting, I find I am going to the toilet more often during the day however I do not know if that is the meds or the cold weather.
I’m just thankful that there are a lot of trees and bushes on the afternoon dog walk!😳🀫
Rgds
Dave
User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 17:29

Thanks for all the replies, most welcome πŸ€—

It's good to know that Tamulosin can help if my flow rate gets weak. Though maybe my flow rate will improve as per Gaz πŸ™

My big fear is that RT will damage my urethra to the extent that I can't go at all or only with a catheter. I dont mind a slow rate it's a no go rate that terrifies me 😱

Edited by member 12 Dec 2022 at 17:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 18:08

I am no expert but presume flow got better as tumour reduced but if anyone knows different please advise πŸ‘

User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 19:26
See my post above. My flow got worse - MUCH worse, until I was really struggling to pee at all - as my RT progressed, but Tamsulosin worked wonders and completely solved the problem. The swelling caused by the radiation is permanent and I'll be on Tamsulosin for life, but it's a small price to pay for having my cancer sorted.

Cheers,

Chris
User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 20:32

Thanks for follow up replies Gaz and Chris.

I guess each case is different, but for both of you it seems things have worked out well, unless I have misunderstood.

Best wishes to all, Tony

User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 21:18
I was already on Tamsulosin prior to RT but the latter caused severe urgency and frequency, for a short time up to 8 times a night which I found very debilitating. However, this gradually decreased so by about a couple of months post RT I was back to my pre treatment once or twice a night, which it has largely remained to this day.
Barry
User
Posted 12 Dec 2022 at 21:32

Thanks very much for reply Barry, so good that you overcome your difficulties and got back to a reasonable level πŸ€—

I'm probably a twice a night man currently 🀣

My flow figures seem to be improving with more measuring. Am averaging 11.9 secs to get to first decilitre now. That's a flow of 8.4 ml per second according to my calculator. 

Edited by member 12 Dec 2022 at 21:33  | Reason: Not specified