I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New to use of VED - advice?

User
Posted 14 Dec 2022 at 16:55

I had a radical prostatectomy 21 months ago and salvage radiotherapy 6 months ago.

I am turning my attention to ED problems and the NHS has given me a Somaerect vacuum pump, which I have just started, for rehabilitation purposes initially. I find it painful to use after just about 5 pumps, making me glad to press the vacuum release button. Is this the experience of others?  Does it get better with regular use? Any tips? At the moment, the pain is off-putting!  I am not using the rubber rings for this stage of the treatment.

User
Posted 14 Dec 2022 at 18:50

Bernster, if you have only just started to use the pump 21 months after your last erection, I am not surprised it is painful. I would say little and often use of the pump would be advisable. Have you had and advice from the hospital, GP or the company rep about a recovery regime.

Never give up but don't hurt your self. I was advised frequent masturbation was helpful.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 14 Dec 2022 at 19:06

Hi Bernster.

I began using a pump about a month ago so am also quite new to it.  Yes, it is uncomfortable sometimes, but the advice I was given was to release the pressure when that happens, wait until the discomfort is gone (for me, that's about 20 seconds) and then begin to slowly increase pressure again (e.g. one press of lever each time).  Then wait 10-15 seconds after each press of the lever for that to take effect.  If that is tolerable, press the lever again, and wait 10 seconds again, before pressing the lever again, and so on.  

I definitiely use the rubber rings, as I find the edge of the plastic quite sharp and cuts into me - not nice.  I also put lube about 2 inches down into the tube and all around the rim and rubber rings.  I also put lube on my penis.  The lube makes the pumping smoother and also makes it easier to remove the pump at the end of the session, without (too much) discomfort.  By the way, I use cheap water based lube from any large supermarket (or even the Pound Shop!), not the 'Special Lube' that comes with the device.  I cannot tell any difference between the lubes, and at the rate I use it, I would soon run out of the 'special lube'.

Before I remove the device, I apply the tension ring, and this gives me sufficient rigidity to masturbate (sometimes to orgasm) afterwards.  Again, I use extra lube at this stage.  So, for putting up with the slight  discomfort during pumping, I am (sometimes) rewarded with sexual pleasure at the end.   Therefore, I'm starting to see the pump as a means to 2 ends - penile rehab. and sexual pleasure.  However, I haven't attempted penetration yet.  I would need to be more confident in my rigidity before I attempt that.

You may find the thread called 'Erecting the Erection" helpful, if you haven't already seen it.  It was started by a chap called Chris, who is an inspiration.  Lots of other people have added their own experiences, so it's well worth a look.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 14 Dec 2022 at 23:40

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Bernster, if you have only just started to use the pump 21 months after your last erection, I am not surprised it is painful. I would say little and often use of the pump would be advisable. Have you had and advice from the hospital, GP or the company rep about a recovery regime.

Never give up but don't hurt your self. I was advised frequent masturbation was helpful.

Thanks Chris 

Thanks for the advice. The only advice I had from the hospital was from the sales rep of Soma, who runs a clinic for new users (1-time only I think per person) once a month. And he didn't say how painful it was!

User
Posted 14 Dec 2022 at 23:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Bernster.

I began using a pump about a month ago so am also quite new to it.  Yes, it is uncomfortable sometimes, but the advice I was given was to release the pressure when that happens, wait until the discomfort is gone (for me, that's about 20 seconds) and then begin to slowly increase pressure again (e.g. one press of lever each time).  Then wait 10-15 seconds after each press of the lever for that to take effect.  If that is tolerable, press the lever again, and wait 10 seconds again, before pressing the lever again, and so on.  

I definitiely use the rubber rings, as I find the edge of the plastic quite sharp and cuts into me - not nice.  I also put lube about 2 inches down into the tube and all around the rim and rubber rings.  I also put lube on my penis.  The lube makes the pumping smoother and also makes it easier to remove the pump at the end of the session, without (too much) discomfort.  By the way, I use cheap water based lube from any large supermarket (or even the Pound Shop!), not the 'Special Lube' that comes with the device.  I cannot tell any difference between the lubes, and at the rate I use it, I would soon run out of the 'special lube'.

Before I remove the device, I apply the tension ring, and this gives me sufficient rigidity to masturbate (sometimes to orgasm) afterwards.  Again, I use extra lube at this stage.  So, for putting up with the slight  discomfort during pumping, I am (sometimes) rewarded with sexual pleasure at the end.   Therefore, I'm starting to see the pump as a means to 2 ends - penile rehab. and sexual pleasure.  However, I haven't attempted penetration yet.  I would need to be more confident in my rigidity before I attempt that.

You may find the thread called 'Erecting the Erection" helpful, if you haven't already seen it.  It was started by a chap called Chris, who is an inspiration.  Lots of other people have added their own experiences, so it's well worth a look.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

Thank you for your help and advice. I use the rubber end caps to the plastic tube, but not the tension rings as that can come after the rehabilitation face when wanting intimacy. The pain comes when evacuating the device as it seems to put a huge pressure on the base of my penis. I will take your advice of little and often and see if I can get rid of the pain.