I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post Diagnosis/ Urologist meeting

User
Posted 14 Dec 2022 at 23:11

Evening guy's and girls. Got my results just over two weeks ago and had a meeting with Urology surgeon today. I had Gleason 3-4 T2 and PSA of 9. Out of 25 cores, 1 contained a small amount of cancer. I was pretty much expecting the range of treatments on offer in accordance with my scores, but was surprised when he (along with the MDT) who were not in attendance, suggested Active Surveillance along with the usual suspects. I was under the impression you had to have a Gleason score of 3-3. He suggested that because of the small amount found that this could be an option. Has anyone other gentleman had this treatment offered with similar results. Thanks in advance 

User
Posted 15 Dec 2022 at 08:37
It has been known, although it's not common. The point to consider, though, is that with G3+4 cancer it will continue to grow, and radical treatment will be required at some point in the future. If it were me, I'd want to get that over and done with and get on with my life!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Dec 2022 at 18:32

Well I will offer a different opinion to Chris. The side effects of PCa treatment are not too bad, but best avoided. You really need to decide what is important for you in life. A fully working penis is quite fun.

There is a tiny chance you will never need treatment, particularly if you live a reckless lifestyle or have other medical conditions. If you can delay treatment five or ten years that is another five or ten years, of a fully functioning penis.

Of course the cancer may advance quicker than expected, also your health may deteriorate such that you can't tolerate the treatment when it becomes necessary.

Really only you can make judgements about what is important to you. Maybe active surveillance for a year to see if there is any sign of progression?

Dave

User
Posted 15 Dec 2022 at 21:03
My 3+3 resulted in watch and wait. W+W didnt last very long though and rapidly rising PSA ( 10+) meant a change in my urologists advice and I had treatment (LDR Brachytherapy). If only we had a crystal ball, we could then decide what is best for us. My uro advised me to stay on W+W and make sure I get all the tests on time and opt for treatment if the PSA went over 10, which it soon did. John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01