I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

T3A and / or facing surgery - Don't Panic!!

User
Posted 15 Dec 2022 at 13:04

I've been meaning to post for a while but it's turned into a bit of a sprawling novel so I just wanted in the meantime to post a quick message of reassurance to anybody recently diagnosed with an MRI result / stage of T3A which is what I received back in May this year (2022) or for anybody worried about surgery.

I believed that my staging meant that it was already breaking out of the capsule and that I would only be offered radiotherapy.  I was really worried that it had been caught too late.

Long story short, I was offered robotic surgery and underwent it at the start of October.

Despite the relatively advanced stage of my cancer, the surgeon spared nerves on both sides (even though he had warned me that he would likely not be able to salvage one side at least) and the operation and recovery was way easier than I feared.  I was home within 24 hours and reasonably comfortable.

My post operative follow up showed clear surgical margins with a negative PSA reading meaning that I am clear of cancer less than 6 months after my diagnosis.

I feel fully fit and recovered with almost no continence issues at all.  My erections have not yet returned but I feel confident that they will.

Overall, from diagnosis to here has been a relatively positive experience and things were nowhere near as bad or as difficult as I feared back in May.

My top tips:

1. Get on with your life and stay focused on the things you can control whilst you wait for results, appointments, surgery etc.  Use the time to enjoy your life - after all that's why you want to get cured presumably.

2. Stay as fit as you possibly can - I focused on getting as fit as I could prior to surgery by running and hiking as much as possible.

3. Do the pelvic floor exercises religiously as soon as you are diagnosed and keep doing them every day until surgery.  Start them again as soon as the catheter is removed and never stop doing them.  Make them part of your daily routine.

4. Drink loads of water for at least 2 weeks after surgery and then drink some more.

5. Take the laxatives they offer you after surgery and don't stop until you're regular again - the first post-operative poo is scary but actually not a problem if you've taken the Laxido.

6. Get some relaxed wide leg trousers to wear after the operation to wear over the catheter and leg bag whilst out and about in the first couple of weeks post surgery.

7.  Avoid coffee and alcohol for at least a month after surgery.

8. Get some natural bamboo baby wipes – I swore by "Cheeky Panda" wipes. Perfect for keeping your tip clean and hygienic and to clean the catheter tubing as well as for washing during the first couple of days after surgery, before you are able to face the challenge of a shower.  Also useful for keeping the keyhole wounds clean once you remove the dressings.

9. Get some Teatree cream – I found a brilliant natural cream called Teangi which is very gentle on the skin but provides a natural antiseptic capability. I used this on the sensitive skin around the catheter tube which can get sore over time.

10. Trim your pubic hair to avoid it getting wound around the catheter tube and drawn into your urethra which can be pretty painful.

11. Take each day at a time.  It's amazing how quickly you'll pass through the various stages and challenges.

12. Start walking as soon as you can after surgery - I was doing 10,000 steps every day around a week after surgery.  I started out with short walks and built up rapidly.

I really hope these tips are useful to someone.  Good luck.

Edited by member 15 Dec 2022 at 13:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Dec 2022 at 13:04

I've been meaning to post for a while but it's turned into a bit of a sprawling novel so I just wanted in the meantime to post a quick message of reassurance to anybody recently diagnosed with an MRI result / stage of T3A which is what I received back in May this year (2022) or for anybody worried about surgery.

I believed that my staging meant that it was already breaking out of the capsule and that I would only be offered radiotherapy.  I was really worried that it had been caught too late.

Long story short, I was offered robotic surgery and underwent it at the start of October.

Despite the relatively advanced stage of my cancer, the surgeon spared nerves on both sides (even though he had warned me that he would likely not be able to salvage one side at least) and the operation and recovery was way easier than I feared.  I was home within 24 hours and reasonably comfortable.

My post operative follow up showed clear surgical margins with a negative PSA reading meaning that I am clear of cancer less than 6 months after my diagnosis.

I feel fully fit and recovered with almost no continence issues at all.  My erections have not yet returned but I feel confident that they will.

Overall, from diagnosis to here has been a relatively positive experience and things were nowhere near as bad or as difficult as I feared back in May.

My top tips:

1. Get on with your life and stay focused on the things you can control whilst you wait for results, appointments, surgery etc.  Use the time to enjoy your life - after all that's why you want to get cured presumably.

2. Stay as fit as you possibly can - I focused on getting as fit as I could prior to surgery by running and hiking as much as possible.

3. Do the pelvic floor exercises religiously as soon as you are diagnosed and keep doing them every day until surgery.  Start them again as soon as the catheter is removed and never stop doing them.  Make them part of your daily routine.

4. Drink loads of water for at least 2 weeks after surgery and then drink some more.

5. Take the laxatives they offer you after surgery and don't stop until you're regular again - the first post-operative poo is scary but actually not a problem if you've taken the Laxido.

6. Get some relaxed wide leg trousers to wear after the operation to wear over the catheter and leg bag whilst out and about in the first couple of weeks post surgery.

7.  Avoid coffee and alcohol for at least a month after surgery.

8. Get some natural bamboo baby wipes – I swore by "Cheeky Panda" wipes. Perfect for keeping your tip clean and hygienic and to clean the catheter tubing as well as for washing during the first couple of days after surgery, before you are able to face the challenge of a shower.  Also useful for keeping the keyhole wounds clean once you remove the dressings.

9. Get some Teatree cream – I found a brilliant natural cream called Teangi which is very gentle on the skin but provides a natural antiseptic capability. I used this on the sensitive skin around the catheter tube which can get sore over time.

10. Trim your pubic hair to avoid it getting wound around the catheter tube and drawn into your urethra which can be pretty painful.

11. Take each day at a time.  It's amazing how quickly you'll pass through the various stages and challenges.

12. Start walking as soon as you can after surgery - I was doing 10,000 steps every day around a week after surgery.  I started out with short walks and built up rapidly.

I really hope these tips are useful to someone.  Good luck.

Edited by member 15 Dec 2022 at 13:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 10:31

Dear Ascot Carpenter,

What an excellent post. Although I am heading for RT, I think if I had read your post a few weeks back I might have considered Surgery. 

I amire your bravery and your obvious courage and discipline. I came onto this forum to hear the experience of men, written from their perspective. I found your post insightful and encouraging.

Fight!

Gabriel 

Edited by member 16 Dec 2022 at 10:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 09:59

Thanks LynEyre for your reply.  If you read my post carefully you’ll see that I am not advising anybody on the distances they should walk - I only mentioned what my experience was.  My advice was simply to start walking as soon as possible after surgery and this advice came from [Doctors name removed by moderator] excellent video which can be found online which outlines his best advice to help people recover from the surgery that he has performed thousands of times (for the avoidance of doubt, he was not my surgeon). Walking is essential to mitigate the risk of thrombosis after pelvic surgery.  Contrary to your unfounded assertion that “I got away with it”, the walking that I did contributed to my mental wellbeing as well as my swift physical recovery.  Of course each individual has their own level of physical fitness and not everybody will be walking the same distances but the important thing is to get up and move about.

I’m unclear who you feel you are helping with your somewhat insensitive comment that ”it will be at least 5 years before you can confidently say you are cancer-free”?  Should I not celebrate that my surgeon has informed me that I am cancer free and that my surgery was a success?  Should I not live my life now with renewed hope and optimism and relish the amazing chance that I’ve been given by the extraordinary skill and dedication of the surgical team that looked after me?  Should others facing this challenge not take hope from my experience but instead look forward to 5 years minimum of debilitating fear as you seem to countenance?  If you read my 1st tip, I advise getting on with life rather than waiting in fear for the next shoe to drop.  It is irrelevant what I can “confidently claim” at this point because next year I might get struck down with some other life threatening illness or succumb to a random accident.  The point is that I’ve been given an amazing chance and I’m offering hope to people facing this daunting challenge.  I am not waiting for each PSA test, they will come along as sure as all the other expected and unexpected events in life but until they arrive, I shall live my life “cancer free”.

One final point, is that I offered my advice purely in the capacity of somebody who has experienced this first hand and not in any professional capacity.  Whilst I note that you have sadly got a great deal of experience of family members having this illness, I think that perhaps you should make clear that you are not medically qualified when you pronounce definitively on various treatments and medications as you seem to do regularly.  You might consider preceding such prescriptive statements with a disclaimer. 

Edited by moderator 16 Dec 2022 at 19:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 23:32
I think there are two key points here:

- most urologists would never proclaim a man cancer-free so soon after his op ... when it does happen, it tends to be the surgeons with the biggest egos

- it is the men who are led to believe that the op will cure them who often struggle the most emotionally when the cancer recurs

Hope and positivity are critical to surviving prostate cancer and the side effects of treatment, and realism comes a very close third.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 09:25

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks francij1 and Bill

I would ask what is more helpful to somebody newly diagnosed or facing up to the prospect of surgery - getting a positive and optimistic message that it's possible to go from diagnosis to clear within 6 months or being reminded that they must live under the shadow of recurrence for 5 years and more?

Simple truth can be insensitive and unhelpful at the same time as being true.

People can be understandably delighted if they receive clear margins and undetectable PSA after surgery.  It is obviously insensitive to rain on their parade for no obvious reason.

Of course cancer can come back but you don't toast somebody's wedding by pointing out divorce statistics.

For prostate and breast cancer it's 20 years or more you need to be aware it may come back even with a < in your PSA. Simple truth probably insensitive.

Please don't live your life under a shadow whatever your diagnosis that will just SAP the fun out of what is left. Although the ED, climacturia and pissing yourself in public will probably do that for a while anyway.

But don't do what other people on here have done ie think you are cured, don't get tested, then in 10 years find you are incurable.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 11:27

I found this information very useful so many thanks for the detail.

I was diagnosed end August 2022 with the same situation, MRI result T3 stage breaking through the prostate capsule.

I have an appointment early Jan 2023 with a surgeon to discuss surgery but am concerned that with the potential delays including the nurses strike, that it could be some time before I receive the surgery. And during this delay the cancer has spread even further!

Question, do they do another MRI scan immediately before surgery to make sure things haven't changed too much causing surgery to then be in question and therapies now being the better option?

Of course the outcome of surgery can vary from patient to patient and it seems you're coming through it very well, so congratulations on being so disciplined with your exercises etc.

I am very anxious about making sure that I can make an informed decision and wondering if the surgeon will be biased towards advising surgery. 

I'm wondering if at my consultation, I will also be given information/advice about therapies as alternative treatments so that I can make this important decision?

As you've said, the waiting is one of the worst things about all this, you have lots of time to think about everything and I mean everything!

Thanks again for telling us your story so far and all the best for 2023.

Cheers Grampy

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Dec 2022 at 22:08
I like your confidence although it will be at least 5 years before you can confidently say you are cancer-free. The advice you give is mostly good except suggesting to people that 10,000 steps one week after surgery is okay ... you may have got away with it but it is really not advisable.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 09:59

Thanks LynEyre for your reply.  If you read my post carefully you’ll see that I am not advising anybody on the distances they should walk - I only mentioned what my experience was.  My advice was simply to start walking as soon as possible after surgery and this advice came from [Doctors name removed by moderator] excellent video which can be found online which outlines his best advice to help people recover from the surgery that he has performed thousands of times (for the avoidance of doubt, he was not my surgeon). Walking is essential to mitigate the risk of thrombosis after pelvic surgery.  Contrary to your unfounded assertion that “I got away with it”, the walking that I did contributed to my mental wellbeing as well as my swift physical recovery.  Of course each individual has their own level of physical fitness and not everybody will be walking the same distances but the important thing is to get up and move about.

I’m unclear who you feel you are helping with your somewhat insensitive comment that ”it will be at least 5 years before you can confidently say you are cancer-free”?  Should I not celebrate that my surgeon has informed me that I am cancer free and that my surgery was a success?  Should I not live my life now with renewed hope and optimism and relish the amazing chance that I’ve been given by the extraordinary skill and dedication of the surgical team that looked after me?  Should others facing this challenge not take hope from my experience but instead look forward to 5 years minimum of debilitating fear as you seem to countenance?  If you read my 1st tip, I advise getting on with life rather than waiting in fear for the next shoe to drop.  It is irrelevant what I can “confidently claim” at this point because next year I might get struck down with some other life threatening illness or succumb to a random accident.  The point is that I’ve been given an amazing chance and I’m offering hope to people facing this daunting challenge.  I am not waiting for each PSA test, they will come along as sure as all the other expected and unexpected events in life but until they arrive, I shall live my life “cancer free”.

One final point, is that I offered my advice purely in the capacity of somebody who has experienced this first hand and not in any professional capacity.  Whilst I note that you have sadly got a great deal of experience of family members having this illness, I think that perhaps you should make clear that you are not medically qualified when you pronounce definitively on various treatments and medications as you seem to do regularly.  You might consider preceding such prescriptive statements with a disclaimer. 

Edited by moderator 16 Dec 2022 at 19:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 10:31

Dear Ascot Carpenter,

What an excellent post. Although I am heading for RT, I think if I had read your post a few weeks back I might have considered Surgery. 

I amire your bravery and your obvious courage and discipline. I came onto this forum to hear the experience of men, written from their perspective. I found your post insightful and encouraging.

Fight!

Gabriel 

Edited by member 16 Dec 2022 at 10:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 11:15

Thanks Gabriel - that's so gratifying to hear and I'm only sorry that I didn't post sooner.  I met a chap at a PCUK local support group before I had my surgery and his positive experience was inspirational for me and whilst I recognise that I've been incredibly fortunate and that not everybody will have such a positive outcome, I do think it's vital that anybody facing the daunting prospect of surgery gets to hear that it can actually be relatively straightforward.  I wish you the very best with your treatment and thanks again for responding so kindly.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 11:55

@Ascot Carpenter, Whilst I share your optimism and positive disposition, I am also mindful of those on here who have not been so lucky. I am a typically glass half-full guy and will always try to see most things from a positive lens. This time last year I was unaware of what Prostate Cancer was, fast forward 1 year, been diagnosed with PC and had prostate surgery. I have spoken to friends who are consultants in the field of medicine, one thing they all agree on is the impact a positive mindset has on recovery - It is unquantifiable. I like you was up and running a few days after my surgery and was at the gym within a few weeks, doing light exercises. 

I am fully dry in the daytime and it is at night my pads are wet. However, I notice if I stayed up till late (beyond 1:30am, I am fully dry. What I struggle with at the moment is the ED, however - nothing a loving wife cannot resolve. I agree, we cannot afford to sit around and wait, we have to get on with it. I lost a number of friends and acquaintances who suddenly died this year. We need to embrace life and live life to the fullest and not let anything steal our joy and happiness.  “The Only Two Certainties In Life Are Death And Taxes” - Mark Twain. 

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 17:03
Hi Ascot Carpenter,

Your result looks very encouraging and certainly everybody is very pleased for you and 'tips' based on your experience are appreciated. Unfortunately, those of us that have been on this forum for many years are aware of a number of cases where initial results have looked good but after varying times, in some cases 10 or more years later, it has been found that original radical treatment did not completely eradicate their cancer. (One reason for this is that unseen microscopic cancer cells can have escaped the Prostate, even during a Prostatectomy). Also, sadly it can mean that in a few cases men suffer very badly as a past member here who had permanent incontinence following Prostatectomy. So your good result should not be taken as a given. I concur with what Lyn has implied and that one can never be certain one is cancer free and even if this is so in your case, others should not assume this is so in their cases.

Of course ones own consultants are in the best position to comment on their cases but even they can have different, sometimes conflicting views, as I can personally attest. The information given by members on this forum is therefore what is generally accepted and is based on personal experience and general research from reputable sources, and not to be taken as specific individual advice. People joining the forum are made aware of this and it is not necessary for members to preface their posts with such a disclaimer. Having said that, Lyn was assumed by a poster to be medically qualified and previously answered this question. I think it ill behoves you as a recent and comparatively inexperienced person on PCa to criticise somebody who has provided so much helpful information over many years to numerous members and with over 4650 thanks.

Barry
User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 17:30

Hi Barry

I offered no criticism of anybody and I'm unclear why you would think that I did?

If as you say, at least one poster has mistakenly assumed a medical qualification, it seems reasonable to suggest that people make disclaimers before publishing definitive statements about medication and treatment.

As to your other point, I don't take anything as given but I don't live my life waiting for the bus that may never run me over.  Of course my cancer may return in 2 weeks or 20 years but it's out of my control so all I can do is focus on grasping the chance I have been so fortunate to be given.

Everything I posted was about offering hope and optimism to people unfortunate enough to find themselves in the same position that I found myself in.  Someone else's positive outcome inspired me and I hope that my positive result helps someone else.

As for Lyn's "helpful" comments, I didn't find her comment to my post helpful at all, indeed I think it was insensitive at best.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 18:10
Nothing insensitive about lynes comments? Simple truth by the looks of it.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 18:49

Nothing insensitive about lynes comments? Simple truth by the looks of it.

Here here

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 19:37

Thanks francij1 and Bill

I would ask what is more helpful to somebody newly diagnosed or facing up to the prospect of surgery - getting a positive and optimistic message that it's possible to go from diagnosis to clear within 6 months or being reminded that they must live under the shadow of recurrence for 5 years and more?

People can be understandably delighted if they receive clear margins and undetectable PSA after surgery.  It is obviously insensitive to rain on their parade for no obvious reason.

Of course cancer can come back but you don't toast somebody's wedding by pointing out divorce statistics.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 20:52

"I think that perhaps you should make clear that you are not medically qualified when you pronounce definitively on various treatments and medications as you seem to do regularly. You might consider preceding such prescriptive statements with a disclaimer."

Sounded like criticism to me and I can't recall anybody doing what you suggest in the 14+ years I have been a member. The person who asked the question of Lyn being medically qualified did so because he was impressed by the depth of information provided by her yet alone the hours devoted to this forum. Limitations are listed under the Terms and Conditions of joining this community which make it clear that patients should take individual advice from their own consultants so members should be aware. However, there is a lot of experience on this forum and notwithstanding the foregoing, sometimes members here have suggested an individual obtains a second opinion. (Not all Consultants are fully aware of certain treatments or are able to offer them for example, so sometimes this can prove advantageous).

We know that some men who were ostensibly considered free of cancer do suffer a recurrence, which some find more devastating than their initial diagnosis and treatment. So this is why nothing should be taken for granted. But good advice to enjoy life to the full, regardless of how you have been affected and how promising the future looks. It should never be assumed by a patient that even with a similar diagnosis and treatment he will necessarily have the same outcome as another.

Assume that you will still be having PSA follow up even though you are considered cancer free.

p

Edited by member 16 Dec 2022 at 21:05  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 21:47

Well said Barry all information given to us helps immensely but at the end off the day your treatment is advised by the experts  the advice by Lynn yourself Andy Chris and others is invaluable and has probably saved my life at the darkest off times long may it continue thanks everyone and a merry Christmas to all gaz 👍

Edited by member 16 Dec 2022 at 21:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 23:01

Good posts ascot carpenter. I'm reminded of the black comedy Trainspotting and the line "I choose life". Obviously there are statistical chances of recurrence for all of us but you can choose to live your life with a cheeky disregard for the worst case scenarios, or you can live in constant fear of recurrence [or somewhere in between 😀]. A strong exercise program and a positive attitude are going to give you a better survival rating.

That said, thanks to Lyn, Dave, Barry and all of the experienced people here who keep a reality check on those of us who have less experience and knowledge of the intricacies of this disease.

Jules

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 23:32
I think there are two key points here:

- most urologists would never proclaim a man cancer-free so soon after his op ... when it does happen, it tends to be the surgeons with the biggest egos

- it is the men who are led to believe that the op will cure them who often struggle the most emotionally when the cancer recurs

Hope and positivity are critical to surviving prostate cancer and the side effects of treatment, and realism comes a very close third.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 03:56

Well on this forum we tend to see the bad news stories so our perceptions are biased. We also have the reality of statistics to guide us.

55,000 men are diagnosed each year and 15,000 men die each year. Don't worry those 15,000 were diagnosed upto 20 years ago, hardly any men die within 5 years of being diagnosed. I don't know how many of the 55,000 diagnosed are already T4 I am going to guess 10,000 as there are no symptoms of early disease and no reliable screening. 

So roughly 45,000 are treated with curable intent and we know this is abou 70% effective so 31,500 are cured each year; 13,500 the treatment fails, 5000 die of cancer and about 8,500 are not cured but die of something else.

I don't find anything upsetting about these statistics. I'm curious which group I'm in. I hope it's the 31,500. Even if I am in that group a bus will come along and run me over at some point. So I certainly intend living my life to the full until that does happen.

Working my way through the statistics above reminded me of a story: about two cardiology doctors in the USA, in the 1950s, one senior the other a trainee:

The senior doctor announced "70% of Americans will die of heart disease".

The trainee said "that is terrible we must improve our treatments".

The senior then said "Why, what would you prefer them to die of?"

So ascot carpenter, I hope you and everyone else are in the 31,500 that are cured, and no one is in the other groups. Until we die we don't know which group we were in.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 06:08

Many thanks again for perfectly worded comment by wise and knowledgeable lady Lyn.

Let  read it again

Hope and positivity are critical to surviving prostate cancer and the side effects of treatment, and realism comes a very close third."

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 08:22

Ascot, what was your post op PSA, you say negative but do you mean undetectable. My post op PSA tests were the more sensitive tests but would have been classified as the so called undetectable by many hospitals. After 33 months of so called undetectable tests, planning for salvage RT started, admittedly my histology was poor and my staging upgraded from T2 to T3a. Did your post histology staging remain at T3a. 

Did you have your biopsy between the 5.1 and 9.1 PSA tests, that rise in one month is strange.

I hope your recovery goes well and that you remain cancer free for many years to come. 

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 17 Dec 2022 at 08:23  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 08:30

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I should have said undetectable rather than negative.

My post histology staging was reduced from T3a to T2c.

My initial PSA test with my GP was 5.1 and he then arranged a second test a month or so later to confirm and that was 9.1.  It was because of these readings that I was referred for an MRI scan and then then the biopsy followed the results of the MRI scan.

Good luck with your treatment and I wish you all the best.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 09:25

Thanks francij1 and Bill

For prostate and breast cancer it's 20 years or more you need to be aware it may come back even with a < in your PSA. Simple truth probably insensitive.

Please don't live your life under a shadow whatever your diagnosis that will just SAP the fun out of what is left. Although the ED, climacturia and pissing yourself in public will probably do that for a while anyway.

But don't do what other people on here have done ie think you are cured, don't get tested, then in 10 years find you are incurable.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 11:06

Well stated Lyn. You may recall that I have posted more than once that my surgeon (now a Prof.) declared me 'cured' at my 6 week post op consultation. Being a fairly well read realist and having some unfortunate family history, whilst being pleased to know things had gone as well as could be expected (I was upgraded to T3a post op) I treated his pronouncement with due caution and whilst, if the cancer rears its ugly head again I will be deeply upset, I will neither seek recrimination nor place blame. But, if I was a sunny optimist relying solely on my surgeon, I would be shattered and that would be a huge price to pay for an ego trip, if that is what it was. 

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 11:27

I found this information very useful so many thanks for the detail.

I was diagnosed end August 2022 with the same situation, MRI result T3 stage breaking through the prostate capsule.

I have an appointment early Jan 2023 with a surgeon to discuss surgery but am concerned that with the potential delays including the nurses strike, that it could be some time before I receive the surgery. And during this delay the cancer has spread even further!

Question, do they do another MRI scan immediately before surgery to make sure things haven't changed too much causing surgery to then be in question and therapies now being the better option?

Of course the outcome of surgery can vary from patient to patient and it seems you're coming through it very well, so congratulations on being so disciplined with your exercises etc.

I am very anxious about making sure that I can make an informed decision and wondering if the surgeon will be biased towards advising surgery. 

I'm wondering if at my consultation, I will also be given information/advice about therapies as alternative treatments so that I can make this important decision?

As you've said, the waiting is one of the worst things about all this, you have lots of time to think about everything and I mean everything!

Thanks again for telling us your story so far and all the best for 2023.

Cheers Grampy

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 12:11

My post histology staging was reduced from T3a to T2c.

That is very good news. We more often here of upgrades. Operations on a T2 are much more likely to lead to a cure.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 13:13

Yes, urological surgeons have a tendency to prefer surgery, because that's what they do. That's why you should ensure that you also have an appointment with an oncologist to discuss non-surgical procedures. This should happen automatically, but if it doesn't, then ask!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 16:41

Hi Grampy, I'm really gratified that you found my post useful.

I'm incredibly sorry that you are in this situation and the wait can indeed be very worrying.  I can only speak to my personal experience which was that I only had the one MRI scan in the April or May as I recall and my surgery was in October.

I recall asking my nurse specialist this same question and she was very reassuring that the relatively short wait between diagnosis and treatment would not be material.

I believe that the aggressiveness of the cancer would be an important factor and this is normally revealed by the biopsy result but I'm not sure if you have had yours yet?  If you have, then you could just check this with your nurse specialist who should hopefully be able to offer reassurance.

You certainly should be given treatment options at your consultation although within the NHS I believe that for T3 stage you are unlikely to be offered any alternative treatments.  I would expect you to be offered surgery or radiotherapy but I am only speaking to my personal experience - I am not medically qualified.

I hope that my experience offers you some solace that it is absolutely possible for a T3 stage to be downgraded after the histology report following surgery.  My MRI result was T3a and my final result was T2c following surgery.

I wish you the very best with your decision and with with your treatment and hope that you find some of my tips useful for your own situation.

Good luck and best wishes.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 18:39

"My MRI result was T3a and my final result was T2c following surgery."

Mine was also the same: T3a changed to T2c following surgery.

While on this issue - Does anyone has statistics on down grading and/or upgrading MRI and Biopsy following surgery?

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 18:47

Apparently, 20% gets downgraded and 5% gets upgraded.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2022 at 09:42

Ascot , was your Gleason score regraded after your surgery/ histology.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 18 Dec 2022 at 12:48

Hi Chris

Yes, that's correct - it was downgraded at my 6 week follow up in light of the pathology / histology following surgery.

Sorry, I misread your question - no I don't believe my Gleason score changed at all but I don't actually recall being told that one way or another but I may just have forgotten / not heard.

It was only the staging that I recall for sure was downgraded.

Is Gleason downgrading a thing?

All the best

Edited by member 18 Dec 2022 at 13:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Dec 2022 at 15:14

Hi Chris

Yes, that's correct - it was downgraded at my 6 week follow up in light of the pathology / histology following surgery.

Sorry, I misread your question - no I don't believe my Gleason score changed at all but I don't actually recall being told that one way or another but I may just have forgotten / not heard.

It was only the staging that I recall for sure was downgraded.

Is Gleason downgrading a thing?

All the best

My husband was downgraded on T grade from T3a to T2, but Gleason score was upgraded from 4+3=7 to 4+5=9

He had 6 months of Hormone treatment before his op so not sure if this affected his post op histology.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2022 at 17:26
HT won't change either your Gleason score or your grading. HT just slows the growth of the cancer - it doesn't kill it. Only RT will do that.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 18 Dec 2022 at 19:13

HT won't change either your Gleason score or your grading. HT just slows the growth of the cancer - it doesn't kill it. Only RT will do that.

Best wishes,

Chris

Ah ok thanks Chris. There was talk initially that the HT may have shrunk the tumour to a T2 but wasn’t sure.

Someone also put a post on quite along time ago that I’ve never been able to find again. It was a link to some information about HT making Gleason score increase. I never had a chance to properly read it when I needed to.

Thanks for the info