I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostap Injections - monthly or 3 monthly

User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 15:47

Hi All, I started prostap injections in August on a monthly basis. I had severe hot flushes from day 1 which occurred every 20 mins day and night. I struggled for a few weeks and my doc prescribed medroxyprogesterone to combat the side effects and this has worked well, still get flushes but not as frequent or severe. I have now been told I need the injections for 2 years so am contemplating going onto 3 monthly instead of monthly. Has any one changed to 3 monthly and had increased side effects as I definitely do not want to go back to the severity of flushes that I had. 

User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 16:02

Usually, only the first injection is a one-month one, and that's just in case you turn out to be allergic to it (which is very rare), after which you switch to 3-monthly.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 16:52
I’m on Decapeptyl for life now. First couple were one monthly then switched to 3 monthly. Was told I could have six monthly but I have very few side effects even after 2 years on it so I stick to the 3 monthly. If it ain’t broken don’t fix it πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 18:04

Thanks Andy, my onc has given me the choice, will try the 3 month and hope nothing changes! 

User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 18:05

Thanks Chris πŸ‘

User
Posted 22 Dec 2022 at 09:49

I was on Prostap 3 monthly, I came off it but my PSA went up slightly and like Chris J the oncologist put me on 3 monthly Decapeptyl.  No major side effects with either.  My PSA lowered and I stopped HT in July 2021.

Arthur

User
Posted 22 Dec 2022 at 10:04

Three monthly is so much more convenient.

Dave

User
Posted 22 Dec 2022 at 16:49

Thanks Arthur, that's good news

User
Posted 22 Dec 2022 at 16:50

Yes, can't disagree with that, think I will try it out and see what happens

User
Posted 22 Dec 2022 at 18:37
I've been on the 3 monthly Prostrap injecs since Jan 21 (just alternate which arm it goes in); lots of the side effects which were occurring regularly for me during the initial period (including hot flushes, aches in joints etc etc) seem to have settled down now, get an occasional flare up in the week or so following the injection but nothing overly onerous...just 3 or 4 more to go for me now; hope it works out for you, if it doesn't there should be alternatives to try as described above.

Rgds,

Nick

User
Posted 22 Dec 2022 at 18:54

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I've been on the 3 monthly Prostrap injecs since Jan 21 (just alternate which arm it goes in)
Rgds,
Nick

Interesting you say which arm Nick, Rob had his in his stomach (although I feel I might be making this up now ha!) Does everyone have them in the arm or can it vary between medical centres?

User
Posted 22 Dec 2022 at 21:22

Hi elaine, i know you can have it in a few places but ive only ever had them in the upper arm, and i believe its better to have them in a different place each time (that might be rubbish though :)) hence alternating which arm for each injection. 

User
Posted 22 Dec 2022 at 21:22

Prostap has to be deposited into a muscle or fatty area so the stomach, buttock and upper thigh are the most common sites. I think arm is quite unusual and sounds like it would hurt :-/

Edited by member 23 Dec 2022 at 00:42  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Dec 2022 at 21:29
Cheers Lyn.. Id compare it with like having a flu jab.. :) my nurses have never insisted on sticking it in anywhere else... yet.. :)
User
Posted 23 Dec 2022 at 00:28

Thank you Nick and Lyn.

I remember they did alternate which side of his stomach he had the injections. He only ended up having two though.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2022 at 10:20

Thanks for the info Nick πŸ‘

User
Posted 23 Dec 2022 at 22:37

I had Prostap in my upper arm, alternate arms each injection.  Decapeptyl was injected into my buttocks.  It was a bit funny as one nurse while administering the injection asked me to stand on one leg and swing the other!!

Presumably it was to make the Decapeptyl be received better, or was it!

Arthur