Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

1st Christmas with PC

User
Posted 24 Dec 2022 at 20:17

Hi all,

just wanted to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas.

my first since a very recent diagnosis and I am determined not to let it put a downer on me but mostly my family.

I am feeling a sort of f&£# it attitude.  At least for a couple of days 🤣

Enjoy everyone  

N

User
Posted 24 Dec 2022 at 22:56

Merry Christmas Nigel, have a lovely time with your family.

18 months ago my husband was diagnosed similar T3a N1. This time last year he was 3 days post RARP and this Christmas all is good….apart from me getting covid! (Mild) 

Lots to be hopeful for.

Have a wonderful time and very best wishes

User
Posted 24 Dec 2022 at 23:11
Yes, Merry Christmas everyone. Try and set your PCa concerns aside, at least over Christmas.
Barry
User
Posted 24 Dec 2022 at 23:43

N , now nine years and a few days since diagnosis. Merry Xmas to everyone, thanks for all your support and knowledge. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Dec 2022 at 00:18
John was diagnosed at Christmas 2009 - nowadays, we don't really give it much thought apart from at PSA time.

Happy Christmas to you all xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Dec 2022 at 10:00

Merry Christmas Nigel. Same, first Christmas since diagnosis and treatment. That proverbial elephant in the room is always hanging about but largely life seems to have gone back to a normal pattern. Long may it continue.

User
Posted 25 Dec 2022 at 10:33

Many thanks all for the replies and good wishes 😊

I am in an odd position waiting for the first HT script as the treatment plan wasn’t shared with me until the 23rd.

It is complicated by the fact my family home is in Cumbria and the hospital and GP are 300 miles south because that is where I work.  I have asked for the GO to sort the initial script and send it electronically to the chemist in my hometown.  Not sure what to do about ongoing treatment particularly the RT as nearest to work is Southampton 29 miles from the flat and the nearest from home is Preston 60 miles away. At least I will be home I guess, I am a little concerned it will just cause delays in getting the referral sorted.

Hope you all have a great day 

maybe watch the first Kings Speech

N

User
Posted 25 Dec 2022 at 12:47

Merry Christmas all.

Nigel getting prescriptions from any chemist in UK should be easy. I would presume you will be having six weeks of RT in about six months time. If the RT were in winter I would suggest avoiding a 120mile drive on the M6 each day, but in summer it makes no difference.

It is possible to work during RT. your employer will need to be flexible though, as some people are more effected than others. So I would probably still suggest Southampton for the RT. Though these opinions don't really take in to account your family circumstances.

Dave

User
Posted 25 Dec 2022 at 13:06
Merry Christmas to you, Nigel!

Having to travel a fair distance to attend RT is pretty common. I had a daily 90-mile round trip for mine. If you do have a reasonable distance to travel, find out where the loos are en-route in advance - they'll be essential by the end of treatment! In my case there was a convenient McDonald's at the half-way point, which was a life-saver.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 25 Dec 2022 at 13:27

Thanks Dave

OH isn’t keen on the Southampton option as I would be alone for the whole period. Nurse didn’t,t give a timescale for RT but judging from what I have read your comment seems right.

The only good thing is the M6 from Preston to junction 36 is usually relatively and I do mean relatively quite apart from the thousands of folk with caravans going to the Lake District 🤣

N

User
Posted 25 Dec 2022 at 13:28

Great advice Chris 😳

I will ear that in mind when my turn comes around

N

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 09:11

I missed this nice exchange, so Happy Christmas-NY interval. I am local severe PC: 3c (came back after several years). A bit nerve wracking. PSA tested every 3 months, when I get the dreaded hormones. Last time it wiped me out for a week, which included a period of two days of very unpleasant  day-time delirium.  But it has settled down, and PSA at 0.2 is good.   I have much advice about how to help with family members who are either sick like me  and/or less than good team players over Xmas, but this is not the forum.  

Cheers, Otto

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 03:40

Nigel 

Happy Christmas. My first one with PC also. Determined it won't be my last.

G

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 07:51
A quick word on prescriptions. Obviously they start with your GP and usual go to you local chemist, 1. If you travel, my experience is that you simply go into a chemist 2 where you are, and tell ask them to get the prescription transferred, from chemist 1. Even better if you tell chemist 1 about chemist 2. Pharmacists have a great web network which makes it easy for them to track prescriptions and they are wonderfully helpful. After you get back home its good to cancel the chemist 2 arrangement.
User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 01:49

Happy new year to you