Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA persistence after Radical Prostatectomy

User
Posted 25 Dec 2022 at 00:39

I am 67 years old and fit.

I had a robotic prostatectomy 12 weeks ago for Gleason 7 [4+3] the tumour was T3A, with extracorporal extension beyond the prostate and positive surgical margins posterolateral to the prostate. Node negative on MRI and a limited resection of pelvic nodes. My first PSA came back this week at 0.7ng\ml. My oncologist wants to repeat it in a month and has referred me to a radiotherapist for possible radiotherapy.

I asked to get a PSMA PET scan to see where the cancer is in my body. This is an experimental investigation in Canada but I may find one privately. My oncologist was lukewarm to the idea of a PSMA PET Scan.

Does anyone have any suggestions in how to manage this situation or has experienced it themselves?.

Do I need radiation and hormone therapy?.

User
Posted 29 Jan 2023 at 06:23

I had mine done at The London Clinic almost 5 years ago now.  It cost £2500 so may well have gone up in price.  I believe it may be cheaper in some other countries.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 11:16

Hello 

I had persistant PSA after Robotic surgery in February  2020 my PSA remained at 17 and was increasing very quickly .See my profile for details. I had a choline pet scan within two weeks of being referred to the oncology unit ,urology had been dealing with me prior to that.The scan showed spread to pelvic lymph nodes , my very good consultant put me on Enzalutimide immediately plus ADT with RT of the affected area after 6 months on the Hormone treatment 33 sessions each day over 6 weeks .My PSA dropped like a stone after 4 weeks on the Enzalutimide  treatment to undetectable and has remained there ever since which is now 31 months .I have just had the results of my surveillance scans back bone scan and CT scan all clear and my PSA remains undetectable .Enzalutimide was given to me as a first line salvage treatment due to Covid as normally its reserved for castration resistant Prostate cancer but is now being used as first line instead of chemotherapy in the UK due to excellent results of which I am a very grateful  example .Get the best scan available as not all will pick up small mets .

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Dec 2022 at 14:05

Stephen, I was in a different situation ,I had a poor histology but my post-op PSA was low and took two years to go above 0.2. I was refused a PSMA test before my salvage RT, there was something in the bed but a PSMA scan five years later detected cancer out side the area of salvage RT.

I had several CT and bone scans in the last year that did not show anything, but the PSMA scan lit up a pelvic tumor.

I will leave the scholars interpret your histology and comment on treatments.

Thanks Chris 

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28848-New-to-this-site--anyone-has-an-idea-of-what-is-going-on-here 

This guy had some odd PSA levels but they seem to have settled.

Edited by member 25 Dec 2022 at 18:55  | Reason: Additional info

User
Posted 25 Dec 2022 at 19:01

Stephen, sorry for what you're going through. I would push for a PSMA PET scan if you can. With a PSA of 0.7, it stands a good chance of finding where it is. Positive margins suggest there's probably some left in the prostate bed, but knowing exactly where else any more is allows that to be included in the radiotherapy treatment target. It is a potential double edged sword though - it could find some which is incurable, in which case they might well decide not to do radiotherapy.

User
Posted 25 Dec 2022 at 19:56

Stephen, I was in you situation after my prostatectomy at the end of April with persistent PSA of 0.5.  All my margins and lymph nodes were clear and they found less cancer than suggested by the biopsy.  I also had a pre op PSMA scan which was clear.  However my pre op PSA was >70 so I was high risk going into it.  

Afterwards I had a PSMA scan which highlighted two pelvic lymph nodes.   Based on this my treatment regime consists of:

- Docetaxel chemo (on cycle 2)

- Radiotherapy to follow chemo.  Full pelvic radiation followed by extra treatment to identified lymph nodes. 

- 3 years ADT (Decapeptyl 3 monthly injections with Abiraterone to be added)

The combo of ADT, Abitraterone, and Chemo is known as triplet therapy and has been shown to be beneficial when used early in the treatment cycle.  So far my PSA has come down to 0.07, but as you can see these is quite the road ahead.  The professor treating me writes papers in this area and is up to speed with all the latest thinking. We both agreed the best approach in my case was to be as aggressive as possible now.  

I really would get the PSMA scan if you can because the results of that have directly impacted my treatment and have given the radio folks targets to aim at.  It is a standard scan for situations like ours where there has been a recurrence.  All the best. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 01:13
I think I would be pushing for a PSMA scan and also a choline PET scan as they have different strengths and limitations. If you can only get the choline, take it and see whether it shows anything before deciding whether to push harder for one of the PSMA tracers.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 08:08
Positive margins and a T3A G8 puts you firmly in the Adjuvant RT camp benefit "curve". I think your surgeon has done the sensible thing. If you can get a PSMA scan quickly then do it but I think whole pelvis RT is the right path.
User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 10:53
Not sure I agree, franci - 0.7 is a bit too high to be just a bit of positive margin left behind.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 13:04

Pre op I was Gleason 7 and T3a.  Post op I was upgraded to Gleason 9 and pT3b.

My post op PSA was 0.014.  It rose to 0.015, 0.019 and then one year later, 0.023.

I took a chance and paid for a PSMA scan.  I knew that with such low PSA readings it might not pick up anything.  But it did.  And this changed the salvage radiotherapy field of treatment.

I have since had PSA of >0.006.

Your post op PSA is higher than mine was and I confess I don't understand the implications of that, but I really do recommend a PSMA scan.

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 18:21
Stephen,

We have tended to go for the 68 Gallium scan which was developed in Germany a few years ago. However there is a more recently developed scan which was developed in the USA by Marty Pomper at Johhs Hopkins and has been on trial there and in Canada abbreviated to PyL. A top doctor says that looking at these two scans of a patient the results are such that he cannot tell which scan was used. It may be that this is a possible alternative for you to investigate.

Barry
User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 19:45
Hi,

to all in the community. Thankyou so much for the input and personal stories of your journeys with prostate cancer, the support and information has been invaluable.

I will book a PSMA PET Gallium scan within the next month as you all recommend. I understand the pros and cons of finding disease not treatable by radiation.

I hope to keep my oncologist onside throughout this process. "Jellies" raised the issue of triplet therapy with ADT, Abiraterone and chemo with Radiotherapy. I have to ask at my next visit how my Gleason score of 7 [4+3] is influencing the oncologist to decide on treatment. I do not think that we are as aggressive in treatment [triple therapy] as in the UK.

This is an immensely difficult time for me and I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to reply.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 20:56
Apalutimide and enzalutimide are preferred over abiraterone in the UK these days - the outcomes appear to be far better.

Having said that, treating with chemo and abi / enza / apa is usually reserved for men who are incurable - at this point, you don't know that you fall into that group and the triple therapy would be overkill as a salvage treatment. Assuming your PSMA scan doesn't show any mets, HT with RT will be the sensible way to go. If you were my husband or brother, i would still want the choline PET or FACBC if the PSMA doesn't find anything.

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 21:03
PS - PSMA scans have only just been approved in Canada outside of the current trials, and not all states have the facility. If PSMA is available in your state, don't assume that the PSMA tracer will be Gallium - in some regions, they are using F18. Don't miss the opportunity of a detailed scan by saying no to one thing because you are holding out for a tracer that isn't available :-(

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 21:35

Hi, I live in Alberta and we will get access to PSMA PET in September 2023 my oncologist told me I could enter a study with a 50% chance of being randomized to a PET scan or the standard of care with an MRI/CT scan etc.

I can fly to Vancouver and get a private 68-Ga -PSMA PET/CT within a month, hopefully with my doctors blessing.

From what I have read Gallium is the better tracer but it passes into the bladder and can obscure a prostate bed recurrence?.

The oncologist wants to repeat my PSA test in late January to see what is happening and make decisions after that. I am new to the game of waiting for results and it is not easy to be patient.

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 21:45
Gallium and F18 are extraordinarily similar in terms of sensitivity but F18 is easier to produce / transport and is a more stable product so an appointment for a PSMA scan is more likely to go ahead first time if it is F18. In the UK, production issues mean a man can have 2 or 3 failed appointments, frustrating and expensive if travelling a long distance.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 22:58

Recontacted my oncologist and have started process to book a Gallium PSMA Pet scan. Hopefully in mid  to late January.

Repeat of my PSA to occur around that time.

I hope that I am not jumping the gun on chasing the PSMA PET scan after receiving my first abnormal [0.7]  PSA 3 months after surgery. But I have become very frustrated by the long delays in getting investigations booked and our surgical wait times.....

User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 04:53
You are not jumping the gun, sounds like plan to me.
User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 07:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
chasing the PSMA PET scan after receiving my first abnormal [0.7] PSA 3 months after surgery

Good move

Jules

User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 11:52

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33443584/

Conclusions and relevance: In this network meta-analysis, as add-on treatments to ADT, abiraterone acetate and apalutamide may provide the largest overall survival benefits with relatively low SAE risks. Although enzalutamide may improve radiographic progression-free survival to the greatest extent, longer follow-up is needed to examine the overall survival benefits associated with enzalutamide.

This study from Jan 21 suggests that abiraterone and Apalutamide are the most effective add on treatments to ADT for metastatic castrate sensitive patients.  I have not started additional treatment to Decapeptyl ADT yet but will ask my onco about it when I see him next week.  But I was expecting to start abi shortly.  

@LynEyre maybe that comment refers to effectiveness for castrate resistant patients? 

Ref triple therapy.  In my case there is a high risk of additional mets (had one suspect hilar node biopsied plus very high PSA starting off) plus age and good health played into the decision for early chemo.  My onco said this was a judgement call in my case. Agree it does not necessarily transfer to other cases. 

Edited by member 31 Dec 2022 at 12:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jan 2023 at 22:00

I am still waiting to see if I will be allowed to have a PSMA PET scan under Canadian regulations. I now find that I will have to wait for 2.5 months to see a Radiation oncologist for a first visit to discuss treatment of my recurrent cancer. Is this a reasonable time to wait to be seen?. Everything about Prostate cancer treatment seems to be hurry up and wait. Very frustrating. I would be interested to hear from others about wait times for treatment.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 09:56

Here are my timelines.  I'm in Ireland which is a different medical system to the UK.  I have supplementary private cover which is common here but public timelines and treatment is not much different for cancer.  

May-Aug: Took 12 weeks post op to confirm persistent PSA.  Two PSA tests at 8 and 10 weeks plus 2 weeks to get PSMA scan and meet consultant urologist who did my operation.

September: Referred to two medical oncologists one for radiotherapy and the other for hormone therapy.  Met both within 2 weeks.  I would have been put straight on HT but had to had a biopsy of a suspect lymph node which was done in 2 weeks.

October: Biopsy was negative so first HT jab was beginning of October.

November: Started chemo at end of Nov.  Radiotherapy will follow this.

So here it takes about 2 weeks to see a consultant and about the same (or maybe a month) to get a PSMA scan.  My advice is to call around to get to see a medical oncologist and a PSMA scan as soon as possible.  You would be amazed what making calls and explaining your situation does.  I have always found that people in the medical profession understand when you are a genuine case and will try to accommodate you asap.  Don't take what the computer says as the answer until you talk to people.  Just this week I got a chemo session and a blood test pulled forward 2 weeks from making a few polite calls and talking to people.

The PSMA scan really is required to give any chance of a diagnosis of your case.  Normally you want to do the PSMA scan before HT so that any suspect areas can been seen before the HT shrinks them.  Before my operation I paid $2k for a private PSMA scan which was not covered by insurance is maybe that is an option?  The oncologist will be able to review your scan so you can do this separately if it will be quicker. The urologist who did your operation should be able to give a referral.  Apart from waiting for a scan you should be on HT asap and then other treatments (normally radiotherapy if no distant mets identified) will be on top of that. 

If you do not have any treatment your PSA will continue to increase so I would not be at all happy waiting over two months in your situation. To put in context, those 2 months I met 2 consultants had a PSMA scan, a hilar node biopsy, started HT and had a plan for chemo and radio.  Since going on HT my PSA has gone from 0.8 to undetectable and my other treatments are front loaded to try to cure it with obviously no guarantees.

Best wishes and good luck getting things organized.  It is a stressful time but it gets a bit better once you get a plan in place.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 11:01
No that is not reasonable.. You need to know if the cancer is still confined to where radiation can treat it. The best scan for that is PSMA but if that is not available you may be advised to go for Salvage radiotherapy regardless.

For any if this you need to see an oncologist asap.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 11:16

Hello 

I had persistant PSA after Robotic surgery in February  2020 my PSA remained at 17 and was increasing very quickly .See my profile for details. I had a choline pet scan within two weeks of being referred to the oncology unit ,urology had been dealing with me prior to that.The scan showed spread to pelvic lymph nodes , my very good consultant put me on Enzalutimide immediately plus ADT with RT of the affected area after 6 months on the Hormone treatment 33 sessions each day over 6 weeks .My PSA dropped like a stone after 4 weeks on the Enzalutimide  treatment to undetectable and has remained there ever since which is now 31 months .I have just had the results of my surveillance scans back bone scan and CT scan all clear and my PSA remains undetectable .Enzalutimide was given to me as a first line salvage treatment due to Covid as normally its reserved for castration resistant Prostate cancer but is now being used as first line instead of chemotherapy in the UK due to excellent results of which I am a very grateful  example .Get the best scan available as not all will pick up small mets .

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 15:50

Thankyou to all who replied. I have to have 2 post op PSA tests and they have to show an increase in PSA level to qualify for a private PSMA test in Canada. I will get retested next week. If my PSA has fallen I may not be eligible for a PSMA scan. Very frustrating.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 16:27
If it has fallen that is still good news!
User
Posted 29 Jan 2023 at 02:48

I have been rejected by Health Canada for a PSMA PET scan inspire of having two PSA levels post op of 0.7.

I am waiting to have a Bone Scan and a Pelvic MRI and see my Radiation Oncologist. I live in Canada and access to PSMA PET scans is considered still in the research phase even though my doctor is asking for one and I am happy to pay privately for it.

Can anyone recommend an entity in the UK where I can book a private/self funded PSMA PET Scan?.

User
Posted 29 Jan 2023 at 06:23

I had mine done at The London Clinic almost 5 years ago now.  It cost £2500 so may well have gone up in price.  I believe it may be cheaper in some other countries.

User
Posted 10 Feb 2023 at 05:01

Thankyou to all for your support. I finally managed to get a Ga 68 PSMA PET scan in Canada. I have started a new post to discuss the significance of the negative results.