Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What's a high or low PSA

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 13:32

Hello

From reading lots of posts on here it seems that most people who are successfully treated have PSA of very low values.....like <0.01 !

Mine after HT and RT dropped from 30 to 0.4, it was 0.4 again after 3 months and rose to 0.5 once my hormones returned. I'm now on 6 monthly checks.

Just wondering if 0.5 is low enough...?

Full bio in blog on profile.

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 13:57
Scores of <0.01 / <0.04 / <0.1 relate to men with no prostate. You still have a prostate which is generating some 'healthy' PSA so you are aiming for a PSA of 2.0 plus your lowest ever reading ( your nadir) so as long as your PSA doesn't go over 2.4 you are doing great
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 15:52
My PSA has never fallen below 1.1 following RT/HT, if that's any comfort to you?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 17:30

Mine, now 4 years after RT and 2.5 years after finishing HT is somewhere between 0.1 and 0.2. I'm surprised it has gone that low as I still have a prostate. I won't be worrying unless it gets above 2.1 

Dave

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 17:46

Esteban, Lyn has given what has been the generally accepted guide PSA figures for some time, although patients are beginning to be treated more on an individually assessed basis and the way cancer advances, not just based on PSA but also taking in MRI and other scans into account as part of more personalized monitoring and histology. There are also differences between Oncologists on how early to administer follow up treatment. If you take my case for example, I had RT with follow up monitoring done at The Royal Marsden. My PSA nadir was 0.05 after a couple of years or so post RT. However, my Oncologist began to be concerned when my PSA reached 1.45 and they had given me an endorectal MRI, which showed a tumour they thought should be treated. I was referred to UCLH for HIFU which was administered when my PSA was 1.99, ie below my nadir of 0.05 plus 2 (2.05). This was partially successful but subsequent PSA and scans showed that not all the tumour had been obliterated or it had regrown. I declined HT and was given a second HIFU in December 2021. This appears to have worked well and the 3 PSA tests I have had this year have all recorded 0.02 which is the lowest figure ever. Notwithstanding this, I was booked in for a scan this month but it has been postponed until next month due to a scanner failure. I am of the opinion that it can make a big difference which hospital and particular consultant takes your case. This will also depend to a greater extent on how widely and quickly advances in scans and treatments can be introduced, leading to some men like myself being treated earlier and more effectively than hitherto.

Edited by member 26 Dec 2022 at 17:50  | Reason: spelling

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 13:57
Scores of <0.01 / <0.04 / <0.1 relate to men with no prostate. You still have a prostate which is generating some 'healthy' PSA so you are aiming for a PSA of 2.0 plus your lowest ever reading ( your nadir) so as long as your PSA doesn't go over 2.4 you are doing great
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 15:52
My PSA has never fallen below 1.1 following RT/HT, if that's any comfort to you?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 17:30

Mine, now 4 years after RT and 2.5 years after finishing HT is somewhere between 0.1 and 0.2. I'm surprised it has gone that low as I still have a prostate. I won't be worrying unless it gets above 2.1 

Dave

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 17:46

Esteban, Lyn has given what has been the generally accepted guide PSA figures for some time, although patients are beginning to be treated more on an individually assessed basis and the way cancer advances, not just based on PSA but also taking in MRI and other scans into account as part of more personalized monitoring and histology. There are also differences between Oncologists on how early to administer follow up treatment. If you take my case for example, I had RT with follow up monitoring done at The Royal Marsden. My PSA nadir was 0.05 after a couple of years or so post RT. However, my Oncologist began to be concerned when my PSA reached 1.45 and they had given me an endorectal MRI, which showed a tumour they thought should be treated. I was referred to UCLH for HIFU which was administered when my PSA was 1.99, ie below my nadir of 0.05 plus 2 (2.05). This was partially successful but subsequent PSA and scans showed that not all the tumour had been obliterated or it had regrown. I declined HT and was given a second HIFU in December 2021. This appears to have worked well and the 3 PSA tests I have had this year have all recorded 0.02 which is the lowest figure ever. Notwithstanding this, I was booked in for a scan this month but it has been postponed until next month due to a scanner failure. I am of the opinion that it can make a big difference which hospital and particular consultant takes your case. This will also depend to a greater extent on how widely and quickly advances in scans and treatments can be introduced, leading to some men like myself being treated earlier and more effectively than hitherto.

Edited by member 26 Dec 2022 at 17:50  | Reason: spelling

Barry
User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 08:22

Well thanks for the comprehensive replies. It gives hope.

A brief read of the blog will tell you that I'm a bit remote and there's no choice of hospitals/consultants. Although one bright spot is that, because of the blog, my oncologist got in touch on a personal level and I can always get in touch with them. I really don't want HT again - reasons in blog. So if and when....I'll look into other therapies. Cheers 

Steve

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 14:46
Well, my PSA some 6 months on from hormones returning, remains an encouraging minimum of 0.4

I have a painful knee . .started 6 months ago and isn't getting much better - hoping it's just an age arthritis thing.

Steve

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 17:33

Esteban, interesting reference to the knee, despite three different treatments my PSA is rising again. I was told by two oncology professionals that prostate cancer in the knee was not likely, one said they had never seen it in over twenty years. I have a pain in my knee that isn't responding to treatment. My last PSMA scan was top of the skull to mid thigh. Due another PSMA, I will see if they can include the knees.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 17:53

Ok. Don't try and cheer me up! It is very unusual for PCa to get to the knee and esp if that's all I've got! But us blokes do worry. Time for some cider methinks....

Steve