I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What dose of Tamoxifen

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 20:13

I developed sore nipples six weeks after starting 150mg daily Bicalutamide and was prescribed 10mg Tamoxifen once weekly. I've now been taking it since early November and it has not made a jot of difference to my sore nipples. I think I was let down by not having Tamoxifen prescribed at the start of my Bicalutamide treatment (despite me asking my GP for it). However I am now wondering whether the dose I've been prescribed is the right one. According to NICE "Gynaecomastia [prevention in men undergoing long-term bicalutamide treatment, if radiotherapy unsuccessful] 20mg once weekly". Can anyone share their experiences with Tamoxifen? Thanks Chris

Edited by member 27 Dec 2022 at 12:24  | Reason: Error in Bical dose

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 01:07
User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 08:45

I was prescribed 20mg daily, but told to start twice weekly and adjust dose to symptoms. It takes quite a while to build up the working level when you start, which is why it's good to start it when you start the Bicalutamide.

Do you get even temporary relief when taking a tablet? The last time I took them, I initially took a tablet when I had pain, which was me adjusting dose to symptoms. However, I continued for a while after any pain to reduce breast glands back again. Looking back at my records for the last spell I was on them, the days between 20mg tablets went:
2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5.
Then I started snapping the tablets in half, and the days between 10mg doses went:
2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 3, 2, (repeating a mixture of 2 and 3), (then repeating a mixture of 3 and 4).

So, I was eventually on 2x10mg/week, but using initial dose escalation, which probably reflects that it takes time to build up the working level in the body when you are taking a long-acting drug. I did find many reports that the 20mg/week dose didn't work, and in part that might be because it would take months to get up to the working dose without initial dose escalation. If you start Tamoxifen when starting Bicalutamide, then you reach the working level around the same time gynecomastia would otherwise have started, and initial dose escalation wouldn't be needed. 2 x 20mg/week was another dose I heard of quite a bit for other people, and someone else on here was also prescribed 20mg/day without any instructions at adjust to symptoms, and had no problems with it. Tamoxifen is liver toxic for some people so you should have a liver function blood test when you've been on it for 3 months to check that, and repeat it every 6-12 months.

Women with specific types of breast cancer take 20mg/day for 5 years after their radical treatment to reduce recurrence, and it does result in 20% of them getting non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, but that risk is considered worth it for the resulting reduction in breast cancer recurrence, even though 2% go on to get cirrhosis of the liver, some of which will turn into liver cancer. The benefits of Tamoxifen for men on hormone therapy with prostate cancer are significantly lower, so exposing yourself to that level of risk is probably inappropriate, hence lower doses where possible.

By the way, I've not heard of 100mg Bicalutamide. It's usually 50mg as an anti-flare dose for 28 days, or as a double blockade (i.e. with hormone therapy injections), or just to shrink the prostate, and 150mg when used as a hormone therapy in its own right.

Edited by member 27 Dec 2022 at 08:47  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 01:07
User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 08:45

I was prescribed 20mg daily, but told to start twice weekly and adjust dose to symptoms. It takes quite a while to build up the working level when you start, which is why it's good to start it when you start the Bicalutamide.

Do you get even temporary relief when taking a tablet? The last time I took them, I initially took a tablet when I had pain, which was me adjusting dose to symptoms. However, I continued for a while after any pain to reduce breast glands back again. Looking back at my records for the last spell I was on them, the days between 20mg tablets went:
2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5.
Then I started snapping the tablets in half, and the days between 10mg doses went:
2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 3, 2, (repeating a mixture of 2 and 3), (then repeating a mixture of 3 and 4).

So, I was eventually on 2x10mg/week, but using initial dose escalation, which probably reflects that it takes time to build up the working level in the body when you are taking a long-acting drug. I did find many reports that the 20mg/week dose didn't work, and in part that might be because it would take months to get up to the working dose without initial dose escalation. If you start Tamoxifen when starting Bicalutamide, then you reach the working level around the same time gynecomastia would otherwise have started, and initial dose escalation wouldn't be needed. 2 x 20mg/week was another dose I heard of quite a bit for other people, and someone else on here was also prescribed 20mg/day without any instructions at adjust to symptoms, and had no problems with it. Tamoxifen is liver toxic for some people so you should have a liver function blood test when you've been on it for 3 months to check that, and repeat it every 6-12 months.

Women with specific types of breast cancer take 20mg/day for 5 years after their radical treatment to reduce recurrence, and it does result in 20% of them getting non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, but that risk is considered worth it for the resulting reduction in breast cancer recurrence, even though 2% go on to get cirrhosis of the liver, some of which will turn into liver cancer. The benefits of Tamoxifen for men on hormone therapy with prostate cancer are significantly lower, so exposing yourself to that level of risk is probably inappropriate, hence lower doses where possible.

By the way, I've not heard of 100mg Bicalutamide. It's usually 50mg as an anti-flare dose for 28 days, or as a double blockade (i.e. with hormone therapy injections), or just to shrink the prostate, and 150mg when used as a hormone therapy in its own right.

Edited by member 27 Dec 2022 at 08:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 12:23

Thanks for responding Dave. It was that particular post which prompted me to ask the question. I started a new thread because it was a slightly different subject (Tamoxifen during HT rather than pist HT). Chris 

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 14:01

Andy, many thanks for your comprehensive reply. I can't say I've noticed any temporary relief when I take the Tamoxifen, but that said, I'm not in constant pain with it, so maybe it has managed to prevent severe symptoms of Gynaecomastia. My breasts are just painful when I catch them (they do stick out a bit) and when pressure is applied. I've had a few painful Christmas hugs over the last few days.

There does seem to be a case for increasing my dose to 10mg twice weekly. I'll raise it with my GP but in the meantime I'll test the water with an increased dose. I am already having 3 monthly liver function tests for another medication.

Sorry, the 100mg Bical was an error. It should be 150mg. It's a six month course in conjunction with SRT.

Chris