I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How reporting early issues eventually led me to make the wrong decisions

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 17:39

I hope this will be a cautionary tale for anyone else who has reported early symptoms yet been told they are due to a different condition. In my case “incomplete emptying.”

I first contacted my then GP in 2013 as when I got up in the morning I had started to need to urinate twice, before and after shaving, with the second time passing the greater volume. 

Although a physical examination was performed along with a PSA test neither indicated cancer. At my insistence my symptoms were real I was sent for a bladder capacity test and an ultrasound test. 

I was then informed I had “incomplete emptying” and something could be done about it if the symptoms worsened. 

This created the perfect trap which I walked into too easily. I clung to this outcome for much longer than I should have done, in part because the symptoms remained with me throughout. So if I got up to make a drink in the night I would urinate a little then a lot more on returning upstairs with the drink. 

Increased need to urinate frequently some evenings were similarly wrongly ascribed to the original diagnosis. 

i now have a PSA level of 45 and am waiting for the results of a bone scan. 

My point here is that twofold. Firstly that any male of a certain age with an identified urination condition should automatically be put on a regular programme of PSA testing. This would also help cover any examples of miss-diagnosis. 

Secondly that a general programme of regular PSA testing should be instigated for all men of a certain age without any further delay. 

User
Posted 04 Jan 2023 at 16:30

Robert 

You are absolutely correct.  The symptoms of Prostate Cancer are quite vague.  Before I was diagnosed I had some urgency to pee and slightly weaker erections.  But it never occurred to me that this could be cancer because they were pretty mild and not really affecting my life.  It was only when I went to the GP with fatigue that I was tested by chance and had PSA >70, and the rest is history as they say.  And the GP saved me from an even worse outcome because there are no guidelines to tell him that he should have checked my PSA - in fact they are sometimes the opposite - fob men off who request a test and are asymptomatic.

We are also told "it's an old man's disease", "you are more likely to die of it that die with it", "it's the best cancer to get".  Absolute horse manure as many on here know and I think unhelpful to keep repeating these mantras as it means many ignore it and do not get checked when they should.  In my case I mistakenly didn't think this was something to be concerned about till my 70s.

Thankfully the EU Commission has now recommended PSA/MRI screening of men up to the age of 70, based on the results of new studies.  I wonder will the UK and US follow suit.

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 17:39

I hope this will be a cautionary tale for anyone else who has reported early symptoms yet been told they are due to a different condition. In my case “incomplete emptying.”

I first contacted my then GP in 2013 as when I got up in the morning I had started to need to urinate twice, before and after shaving, with the second time passing the greater volume. 

Although a physical examination was performed along with a PSA test neither indicated cancer. At my insistence my symptoms were real I was sent for a bladder capacity test and an ultrasound test. 

I was then informed I had “incomplete emptying” and something could be done about it if the symptoms worsened. 

This created the perfect trap which I walked into too easily. I clung to this outcome for much longer than I should have done, in part because the symptoms remained with me throughout. So if I got up to make a drink in the night I would urinate a little then a lot more on returning upstairs with the drink. 

Increased need to urinate frequently some evenings were similarly wrongly ascribed to the original diagnosis. 

i now have a PSA level of 45 and am waiting for the results of a bone scan. 

My point here is that twofold. Firstly that any male of a certain age with an identified urination condition should automatically be put on a regular programme of PSA testing. This would also help cover any examples of miss-diagnosis. 

Secondly that a general programme of regular PSA testing should be instigated for all men of a certain age without any further delay. 

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 22:02

Robert,
Sorry for your situation. However, we now know that the classic lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) that were commonly listed as symptoms of prostate cancer are in fact almost never symptoms of prostate cancer, but symptoms of an enlarged prostate. To be honest, support groups have known this for years as 80% of men diagnosed with prostate cancer had no symptoms, but research at Cambridge University has recently confirmed this. The research goes on to point out that the emphasis on prostate cancer symptoms in awareness materials is so misleading that it's resulting in many people not being diagnosed early enough, because they didn't have any of those symptoms. So the PSA testing of men who turn up at the GP with LUTS is not logical - that's not a basis for selecting who to test. Actually, men with an enlarged prostate have a very slightly less chance of getting prostate cancer, so men who don't have any LUTS are possibly more likely to have prostate cancer than those who do.

So you certainly shouldn't be beating yourself up over your long standing LUTS, which is statisically unlikely to be related to prostate cancer. What we need is screening for prostate cancer. The EU has just told all its member states they need to start rolling out PSA-based prostate cancer screening, now that there's sufficient evidence to show this is both effective at saving lives, and cost effective (the EU recons it costs 20x more to fail to cure a case of prostate cancer than it does to cure it).

Edited by member 27 Dec 2022 at 22:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 12:03

I appreciate the point you are making about the potential adverse effects of unnecessary medical intervention. But my prostrate cancer was identified with a MRI scan. I am still waiting for a biopsy. Whilst no medical intervention is entirely without risk surely the risk from a noninvasive scan is less than that from a biopsy. Of course this would probably require a considerable investment in scanning equipment. Maybe that is where a lot of the problem lies. 

In addition the difference between my still ongoing diagnosis and the diagnosis plus treatment for my wife’s breast cancer, which has been running at the same time, is the difference between chalk and cheese. Her appointments are made quickly and updated with equal speed and attention as required whereas mine, at the same hospital, have been slow and at one point cancelled without explanation or a replacement appointment offered for over two weeks. It certainly appears that the treatment of prostrate cancer currently receives a much lower priority than breast cancer at present. 

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 12:53
I have to agree with you Robert. I was referred to the Urology dept in May and after examination followed by a MRI and biopsy I’m awaiting results. I do think the situation has been exacerbated by the number of men who’ve come forward due to publicity towards the back end of covid. Additionally with my NHS trust I’m not able to check on results or appointments either on line or by phone.
User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 15:53

I started annual psa tests when I turned 60 as it seemed a wise thing to do and my gp readily agreed. PSA initially low but climbed slowly over the years as did visits to the loo at night plus   an occasional UTI

DRE us flow test and chat to consultant concluded benign hyperplasia. Prescribed finasteride plus prophylactic trimethoprim to ward off UTI.

Psa lowly increased to about 7, gp said to keep an eye. Forward to Nov 2021. Psa now 14 but finasteride doubles this!  So beware!!. Gp phones urology at Ashford and St Peters. Mri scheduled for following week. MDT conclusion was cancer with some sv involvement.

Biopsy and ct a couple of weeks later with diagnosis of T3b N0. Bone scan and cystoscopy another week or so to add M0 to staging a d no bladder involvement. Gleason9 (4+5)

To conclude, I had been thinking things were OK  and it was a nasty shock to find things were not. I cannot fault the treatment I received at St Peters and Royal Surrey St Lukes Guildford for RT. I am 79 now and psa followup 0.08. Still affected by lingering HT side effects despite oncologist stopping Zolly early.

We do need a better screening  programme to stop  nasty surprises as a few months delay in my case would have been very bad

User
Posted 29 Dec 2022 at 07:33

A 16 year European study reported in 2019 that demonstrated the benefit of Screening.  It is possible to mitigate the risks of over diagnosis ( link below). 

Also in September the EU Commission recommended the introducing screening for prostate cancer. One assumes they took account of all the available evidence in coming to this recommendation. Although there is no evidence of such a program being introduced here in Ireland anyway. 

My GP told me when I was diagnosed that they are told to dissuade asymptomatic men who request a PSA test from getting it.  So there are a lot of mixed messages on this issue. At a minimum there should be more awareness around PSA testing as my cancer would not have been detected if my GP had not done a PSA test himself (as I was not even aware of such a test). 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30824296/

What are the new cancer types that have been added and why these three?

The Commission proposes to introduce screening for lung, prostate, and, in certain conditions, gastric cancer.

Prostate cancer: the Commission proposes introducing to prostate-specific antigen (PSA) testing – like a blood test - for men up to 70, in combination with additional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanning as a follow-up test.

User
Posted 04 Jan 2023 at 09:24

Robert 

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The notion of adverse medical intervention from early screening is nonsense. There still pervades a notion that " ah sure it's only prostate cancer". This is a very nasty cancer. Why? Because cancer is cancer.

It is also increasing not just in Europe but across the globe and it is hitting more men in their 50s. It would also appear from many sad stories here that there are also many increasing aggressive strains.

I read, listen, compare and draw my own conclusions. If there is one resounding truth, it is that there is no " one size fits all". Stories of men with Gleason 3+4 T2 N0M0 having recurrence after treatment, other tales of more advanced stages defying the odds.

I had no other indications other than lower urinary tract symptoms. A GP 5 years ago said " nothing there". I insisted on a PSA test this year and I have advanced prostate cancer. Also please note, I have an unusually small prostate. This surprised me as in other respects I am a bear of a man. 

There needs to be earlier testing. Better education. A lot of myth busting and some serious research.

Brendan

Edited by member 04 Jan 2023 at 10:58  | Reason: Not specified

Cooleymountain 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 19:53

Prostate cancer screening is, unfortunately, not a black and white issue. There's a summary here:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19297566/

of a recent large-scale European study which looked at PSA screening of 182,000 men between the ages of 50 and 74 in seven different European countries. They found that, although screening did indeed reduce the number of deaths from prostate cancer by around 20%, an average of 48 men needed to be treated (and suffer the life-changing side-effects of treatment) in order to save one life.

Many medical professionals do not feel that it's justifiable to treat such a large number of men in order to save the lives of a small number when treatment itself can have severe consequences to a man's quality of life. That's why there's no universal screening programme for prostate cancer.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 27 Dec 2022 at 19:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 20:00

Have you seen the data for the number needed to treat for stations?!

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 20:12
Stations? Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Chris

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 22:02

Robert,
Sorry for your situation. However, we now know that the classic lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) that were commonly listed as symptoms of prostate cancer are in fact almost never symptoms of prostate cancer, but symptoms of an enlarged prostate. To be honest, support groups have known this for years as 80% of men diagnosed with prostate cancer had no symptoms, but research at Cambridge University has recently confirmed this. The research goes on to point out that the emphasis on prostate cancer symptoms in awareness materials is so misleading that it's resulting in many people not being diagnosed early enough, because they didn't have any of those symptoms. So the PSA testing of men who turn up at the GP with LUTS is not logical - that's not a basis for selecting who to test. Actually, men with an enlarged prostate have a very slightly less chance of getting prostate cancer, so men who don't have any LUTS are possibly more likely to have prostate cancer than those who do.

So you certainly shouldn't be beating yourself up over your long standing LUTS, which is statisically unlikely to be related to prostate cancer. What we need is screening for prostate cancer. The EU has just told all its member states they need to start rolling out PSA-based prostate cancer screening, now that there's sufficient evidence to show this is both effective at saving lives, and cost effective (the EU recons it costs 20x more to fail to cure a case of prostate cancer than it does to cure it).

Edited by member 27 Dec 2022 at 22:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 10:15

Number needed to treat for statins sorry about the typo 

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 12:03

I appreciate the point you are making about the potential adverse effects of unnecessary medical intervention. But my prostrate cancer was identified with a MRI scan. I am still waiting for a biopsy. Whilst no medical intervention is entirely without risk surely the risk from a noninvasive scan is less than that from a biopsy. Of course this would probably require a considerable investment in scanning equipment. Maybe that is where a lot of the problem lies. 

In addition the difference between my still ongoing diagnosis and the diagnosis plus treatment for my wife’s breast cancer, which has been running at the same time, is the difference between chalk and cheese. Her appointments are made quickly and updated with equal speed and attention as required whereas mine, at the same hospital, have been slow and at one point cancelled without explanation or a replacement appointment offered for over two weeks. It certainly appears that the treatment of prostrate cancer currently receives a much lower priority than breast cancer at present. 

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 12:53
I have to agree with you Robert. I was referred to the Urology dept in May and after examination followed by a MRI and biopsy I’m awaiting results. I do think the situation has been exacerbated by the number of men who’ve come forward due to publicity towards the back end of covid. Additionally with my NHS trust I’m not able to check on results or appointments either on line or by phone.
User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 15:53

I started annual psa tests when I turned 60 as it seemed a wise thing to do and my gp readily agreed. PSA initially low but climbed slowly over the years as did visits to the loo at night plus   an occasional UTI

DRE us flow test and chat to consultant concluded benign hyperplasia. Prescribed finasteride plus prophylactic trimethoprim to ward off UTI.

Psa lowly increased to about 7, gp said to keep an eye. Forward to Nov 2021. Psa now 14 but finasteride doubles this!  So beware!!. Gp phones urology at Ashford and St Peters. Mri scheduled for following week. MDT conclusion was cancer with some sv involvement.

Biopsy and ct a couple of weeks later with diagnosis of T3b N0. Bone scan and cystoscopy another week or so to add M0 to staging a d no bladder involvement. Gleason9 (4+5)

To conclude, I had been thinking things were OK  and it was a nasty shock to find things were not. I cannot fault the treatment I received at St Peters and Royal Surrey St Lukes Guildford for RT. I am 79 now and psa followup 0.08. Still affected by lingering HT side effects despite oncologist stopping Zolly early.

We do need a better screening  programme to stop  nasty surprises as a few months delay in my case would have been very bad

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 23:17

Thank you for sharing. You are absolutely correct. A better screening programme is definitely needed. I appreciate there is a debate over harm / benefit but equal effort should be put into finding a way through these issues, perhaps starting with people who have already reported urinating issues. 

User
Posted 29 Dec 2022 at 07:33

A 16 year European study reported in 2019 that demonstrated the benefit of Screening.  It is possible to mitigate the risks of over diagnosis ( link below). 

Also in September the EU Commission recommended the introducing screening for prostate cancer. One assumes they took account of all the available evidence in coming to this recommendation. Although there is no evidence of such a program being introduced here in Ireland anyway. 

My GP told me when I was diagnosed that they are told to dissuade asymptomatic men who request a PSA test from getting it.  So there are a lot of mixed messages on this issue. At a minimum there should be more awareness around PSA testing as my cancer would not have been detected if my GP had not done a PSA test himself (as I was not even aware of such a test). 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30824296/

What are the new cancer types that have been added and why these three?

The Commission proposes to introduce screening for lung, prostate, and, in certain conditions, gastric cancer.

Prostate cancer: the Commission proposes introducing to prostate-specific antigen (PSA) testing – like a blood test - for men up to 70, in combination with additional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanning as a follow-up test.

User
Posted 04 Jan 2023 at 09:24

Robert 

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The notion of adverse medical intervention from early screening is nonsense. There still pervades a notion that " ah sure it's only prostate cancer". This is a very nasty cancer. Why? Because cancer is cancer.

It is also increasing not just in Europe but across the globe and it is hitting more men in their 50s. It would also appear from many sad stories here that there are also many increasing aggressive strains.

I read, listen, compare and draw my own conclusions. If there is one resounding truth, it is that there is no " one size fits all". Stories of men with Gleason 3+4 T2 N0M0 having recurrence after treatment, other tales of more advanced stages defying the odds.

I had no other indications other than lower urinary tract symptoms. A GP 5 years ago said " nothing there". I insisted on a PSA test this year and I have advanced prostate cancer. Also please note, I have an unusually small prostate. This surprised me as in other respects I am a bear of a man. 

There needs to be earlier testing. Better education. A lot of myth busting and some serious research.

Brendan

Edited by member 04 Jan 2023 at 10:58  | Reason: Not specified

Cooleymountain 

User
Posted 04 Jan 2023 at 13:05

I wholeheartedly agree with you. National testing available on the NHS. Awareness advertising campaigns need to be more specific. I realise they don’t want to promote paranoia but just saying urination issues MAY be prostate cancer is not powerful enough given the male’s often reluctance to seek medical help. They should spell out clearly that problems with peeing could be the result of a tumour pressing on the bladder. I am sure that that would have caught my attention better. 

And the medical profession need not to be so blasé about it. My initial enquiry 10 years ago was too easily dismissed with no warnings that it could be wrong or a future PSA testing regime put in place to monitor going forward. 

If we are ever to move from a Health Service to a Wellness Service this changes are going to have to happen. 

User
Posted 04 Jan 2023 at 16:30

Robert 

You are absolutely correct.  The symptoms of Prostate Cancer are quite vague.  Before I was diagnosed I had some urgency to pee and slightly weaker erections.  But it never occurred to me that this could be cancer because they were pretty mild and not really affecting my life.  It was only when I went to the GP with fatigue that I was tested by chance and had PSA >70, and the rest is history as they say.  And the GP saved me from an even worse outcome because there are no guidelines to tell him that he should have checked my PSA - in fact they are sometimes the opposite - fob men off who request a test and are asymptomatic.

We are also told "it's an old man's disease", "you are more likely to die of it that die with it", "it's the best cancer to get".  Absolute horse manure as many on here know and I think unhelpful to keep repeating these mantras as it means many ignore it and do not get checked when they should.  In my case I mistakenly didn't think this was something to be concerned about till my 70s.

Thankfully the EU Commission has now recommended PSA/MRI screening of men up to the age of 70, based on the results of new studies.  I wonder will the UK and US follow suit.