Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

EBRT v RP

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 20:43

Hi.

I have just been diagnosed with PCa with Gleason 3+4 low volume with Favourable intermediate.

I have 2% cancer from 21 biopsy cores

My PSA is 8.5

My PSA density is 0.07

My Prostate is Very large at 114 by volume.

I am 59 and being told cancer is fully curable.

I just want the least side affects.

I have just started AS.

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 23:58
As a comparatively young man, surgery would generally be the recommended option. Unfortunately both surgery and radiotherapy have side-effects; I'd suggest downloading and reading the information sheets on the different treatments from this site if you haven't already done so.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 04:06

Well I don't agree with Chris or Barry, this is a trivial level of cancer. Try not to have a stroke and not to have a car accident. These are about 100 times more likely to kill you than prostate cancer.

If you are fortunate enough to live to 75 then start worrying about prostate cancer it is not so much that it has moved up the list, it is just that 15 years heart disease free and liver, kidney, spleen diseases free; means you are almost certainly invincible. And prostate cancer is your only vulnerability.

Edited by member 28 Dec 2022 at 12:57  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 29 Dec 2022 at 00:44

I said "could" ! 

Sorry but I am still haunted by my dad curatively treated, dead 3 years later. Someone dismissing a G4 as trivial especially to a newby who may be looking for reasons to ignore their disease and walk away until it's incurable requires a challenge. 

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 06:12

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
The case study information on EBRT seems to be 10 years old.

That is an inevitable problem. There is no way of knowing the real outcomes of a specific treatment until at least 5 years and perhaps 10 years, have passed. If it's possible to get into the details of new treatments, what they are aiming to achieve and how they're going about it can be a good guide to their potential.

Oakbeams has the specific problem of having a large prostate. Maybe the PCUK team would be the place to go for specific information on where size fits into the equation.

Jules

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 10:52

Hi Oakbeams

My limited understanding of treatment for an enlarged prostate (where PCa is not an issue) is that the side effects can (depending of course on the treatment) include problems with incontinence and ED. So it seemed in my case to make sense to opt for RP, which dealt with the PCa and the waterworks issues at the same time. Post surgery my flow rates are vastly improved.

Hopefully that answers your query, but let me know if it doesn't. I didn't quiz my consultant in any depth about the side effects of treatment for an enlarged prostate, hence my comment that you should discuss this with your consultant.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 15:06

If one of the medical team told you that it “could be around five years” then I would use that as my guide. I wouldn’t want to guess at a figure for you, as it would be exactly that – a guess.

If you opt for AS, then you should get a clear commitment from the medical team as to what the monitoring will be. The minimum I would be looking for is a PSA test and MRI scan once a year, biopsy less frequently.

Following my diagnosis in 2014 I had an annual MRI scan and biopsy roughly every two years. I was due an MRI scan and biopsy in 2020, but deferred them because of the Covid situation. After my 2021 MRI scan my consultant said there was an area “that looked a bit different” and the subsequent biopsy moved me from Gleason 3+3 to 3+4 at which point my consultant recommended treatment.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 18:23

What swayed you to having RT +HT? 

In my case RT was strongly recommended. My PSA (31 at diagnosis) was significantly higher than could be accounted for by the biopsy results, leading to a suspicion of undetectable spread outside the prostate. I therefore had "whole pelvis" RT with the pelvic lymph nodes being irradiated in addition to the prostate. I'm approaching four years since my RT and, touch wood, everything looks good. 

Best wishes,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 23:58
As a comparatively young man, surgery would generally be the recommended option. Unfortunately both surgery and radiotherapy have side-effects; I'd suggest downloading and reading the information sheets on the different treatments from this site if you haven't already done so.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 00:54

I agree wit Chris. The Tool Kit is worth considering as here https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org//our-publications/all-publications/tool-kit?limit=100.

Be aware that side effects can vary in type, intensity and timeframe for the two options you have been given. Unfortunately, considering only the side effects, (which is an aspect some would consider should not be the primary one), generally the mildest side effects are are with Focal Treatment but it would seem your overlarge Prostate has ruled this out.

Edited by member 28 Dec 2022 at 00:56  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 04:06

Well I don't agree with Chris or Barry, this is a trivial level of cancer. Try not to have a stroke and not to have a car accident. These are about 100 times more likely to kill you than prostate cancer.

If you are fortunate enough to live to 75 then start worrying about prostate cancer it is not so much that it has moved up the list, it is just that 15 years heart disease free and liver, kidney, spleen diseases free; means you are almost certainly invincible. And prostate cancer is your only vulnerability.

Edited by member 28 Dec 2022 at 12:57  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 07:51
He is 59 that G4 could kill him in 4 years time quite easily even with treatment.

Have you been on the Xmas sauce Dave64??

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 13:04

To be fare I have been on the sauce, but now I'm sober I'd still say AS is the best course. This cancer has every chance of laying dormant for a long time, treatment now will cause side effects which could be avoided for many years.

Edited by member 28 Dec 2022 at 13:51  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 19:22
I assumed - perhaps wrongly - that Oakbeams asked the question because he wanted to get it sorted out. If he’s happy with AS then that can of course be continued as long as the situation remain stable. But if he does want it sorted, I stand by the personal opinion that at a young age, surgery is perhaps the best option.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 19:37

Thanks Chris.

EBRT v RP is tricky for me as I dont want the potential side affects at 60 years old.

My prostate being very large at 114 by volume means that internal radiation is a NO.

RP seems to be all about nerve sparing.

My case seems to be more about the side affects than the cancer.

With regards to psa doubling I have 4 years before it breaks out as long as not aggressive.

I am working on a 2 year period so keen to know my treatment plan next year.

They both seem to come with roughly the same side affects re ED and Water works issues.

Maybe a trail will be available soon that has less side affects than the options available to me.

Thanks for listening.

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 22:18

I am working on a 2 year period so keen to know my treatment plan next year.

You've got time not only to decide on which treatment but also on where it's done and who does it.  EBRT has advanced and is still advancing at a rapid rate, so we've simultaneous got some places offering improved technology and targeting where others have not caught up yet. 

Jules

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 22:26

Thanks Jules.

I would rather have EBRT BUT being told that roughly the same side effects as RP and if the PCa comes back then I cant have radiation twice and then RP is VERY complicated and side effects can br very severe and potentially I may not even be 70 by then.!!

So tricky for me!! 

What are the available treatments for a prostate that is 114 by volume.?

User
Posted 29 Dec 2022 at 00:06

He is 59 that G4 could kill him in 4 years time quite easily even with treatment.

Have you been on the Xmas sauce Dave64??

I think you have been on the sauce, franci - only 2% cancer from 21 cores ... I can absolutely see why AS is a good option for the time being. Close monitoring and an annual mpMRI should give plenty of warning if the cancer starts to become more active

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Dec 2022 at 00:44

I said "could" ! 

Sorry but I am still haunted by my dad curatively treated, dead 3 years later. Someone dismissing a G4 as trivial especially to a newby who may be looking for reasons to ignore their disease and walk away until it's incurable requires a challenge. 

User
Posted 29 Dec 2022 at 21:44
Being logical Oakbeams, active surveillance is clearly the choice with the least side effects. Just a few appointments for ongoing monitoring.

But if you are an anxious type, you may find that more stressful than having an active intervention. And sooner or later (it could be soon or quite a few years) you may well find yourself needing treatment anyway.

Unfortunately, having treatment does mean side effects. You can read about them in the Toolkit booklets, but ultimately no one can say definitively what side effects you personally will get. Like a lot of things in life, you have to take a decision about the future without knowing what that future is.

My take is, surgery is a bit more of a high stakes gamble. Some people recover completely, others have longstanding problems with continence or erectile function (or both). Radiotherapy should allow more subsequent normality, but with hanging over you the worry that the radiation might trigger other cancers which could be a problem in 20+ years time (that is why it is easer to recommend in older patients). With both there will be issues of some sorts around the period of treatment.

Both have apparently similar probabilities of recurrence. After surgery PSA should have dropped to zero so any recurrence can be dealt with sooner and thus more effectively, and salvage radiotherapy following surgery is standard while surgery is often not (for technical reasons) an option after radiotherapy.

I have now experienced both, having had salvage radiotherapy recently following surgery six years before. I am happy to share my personal experiences if that is helpful - but that is just me, there seems to be quite a wide variation in how different men respond to treatment so you may end up different.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 00:52

I can understand that when diagnosed men can take different views on having AS or a more radical form of treatment early or to leaving it as long as they possibly can and we sometimes may think what we would do in similar circumstances, perhaps even saying so . But what I do not accept is telling a man he is lucky that his cancer diagnosis is PCa because it is generally slow in progressing and that he might get run over by a bus before he needs treatment, even if that may prove to be the case. PCa should never be treated a a trivial disease. It can sometimes take off quite quickly.

Also, the post was headed EBRT V RT so the member was clearly looking ahead and expecting an answer on that, not about the AS he was on.

Edited by member 30 Dec 2022 at 01:00  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 06:12

That is an inevitable problem. There is no way of knowing the real outcomes of a specific treatment until at least 5 years and perhaps 10 years, have passed. If it's possible to get into the details of new treatments, what they are aiming to achieve and how they're going about it can be a good guide to their potential.

Oakbeams has the specific problem of having a large prostate. Maybe the PCUK team would be the place to go for specific information on where size fits into the equation.

Jules

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 08:13

I had an almost identically large prostate (115), so my experience may be helpful. I was diagnosed with a Gleason of 3+3 in 2014 aged 58 and opted for Active Surveillance.

A biopsy in 2021 moved the score to 3+4 (with one of the cores being 80% grade 4 cancer). My consultant said usually he felt there was little to choose between RT and RP, but in my case he recommended RP (with continuing AS being a definite third choice). His preference for RP was because the size of my prostate was such that even if there was no cancer, some treatment may be necessary to prevent problems with my waterworks (I had completed a questionnaire about problems like waking during the night, difficulty urinating etc and scored 37.5 where the highest category of problems was anything over 30).

I was on the NHS and had a meeting with a surgeon and radiotherapist to discuss the pros and cons of RT and RP. I was lucky in that the surgeon was the one I would have wanted to do the surgery anyway. I asked whether the size of my prostate created any problems for surgery and he said no, though it might have done if I was overweight.

I had RP in March 2022 and nine months after surgery I am fully continent and am able to have intercourse without aid from rings, injections etc. I count myself as one of the lucky ones, as it is clear that individual experiences vary considerably.

If you are like me and may need treatment for the size of your prostate (irrespective of PCa), then the possible side effects from that, make RP less of a risk. Something to discuss with your consultant.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 09:37

Brilliant Paul.

Great to be able to align with someone albeit my Gleason is 3+4 BUT my PCa is tiny my volume.

Could you help me a bit more on your last paragraph please.

Thankyou again.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 10:52

Hi Oakbeams

My limited understanding of treatment for an enlarged prostate (where PCa is not an issue) is that the side effects can (depending of course on the treatment) include problems with incontinence and ED. So it seemed in my case to make sense to opt for RP, which dealt with the PCa and the waterworks issues at the same time. Post surgery my flow rates are vastly improved.

Hopefully that answers your query, but let me know if it doesn't. I didn't quiz my consultant in any depth about the side effects of treatment for an enlarged prostate, hence my comment that you should discuss this with your consultant.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 11:06

Thank-you EVERYONE!!

I am going to go down the RP route when the Hospital team tell me my time is up and treatment is required.

Does this community have any idea/experience of “ROUGHLY”!! how long I will be on AS mindful of my own data:

*PSA-8.9

*PSA density-0.07

*2% volume of PCa from 21 cores

*Gleason-3+3 and 3+4

*Favourable intermediate

*T2M0N0

I have been told it could be around 5 years.???

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 15:06

If one of the medical team told you that it “could be around five years” then I would use that as my guide. I wouldn’t want to guess at a figure for you, as it would be exactly that – a guess.

If you opt for AS, then you should get a clear commitment from the medical team as to what the monitoring will be. The minimum I would be looking for is a PSA test and MRI scan once a year, biopsy less frequently.

Following my diagnosis in 2014 I had an annual MRI scan and biopsy roughly every two years. I was due an MRI scan and biopsy in 2020, but deferred them because of the Covid situation. After my 2021 MRI scan my consultant said there was an area “that looked a bit different” and the subsequent biopsy moved me from Gleason 3+3 to 3+4 at which point my consultant recommended treatment.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 15:16

Thanks Paul.

I have been asked to have a psa test every 12 weeks.

In my head I am going to have RP Jan ‘24 and get on with recovery and hopefully enjoy my 60’s with low level side effects. 

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 15:50

That sounds good. The obvious advantage of having treatment in a year's time as opposed to five years is that you are that bit younger, so you should recover sooner with hopefully fewer side effects. I hope you are as lucky as I have been.

Some brief comment on penile rehabilitation after RP in case you want to bear these in mind. 

Prostate Cancer UK produce a leaflet called "Treating erectile dysfunction after surgery for pelvic cancers", with the sub heading "A quick guide for health professionals: supporting men with erectile dysfunction".

For Tablets (PDE5-Is) (sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil and avanafil) it says "Early initiation (after catheter removal or within 14 days) promotes early recovery and preservation of erectile function".

For a Vacuum Erection Device (pump) it says:

Early use (within one month after surgery) linked with better outcomes. Can be initiated 4-8 weeks after surgery.

I had no problem being prescribed tadalafil and a vacuum pump, but various factors outside my control meant I didn't get the pump until 4 months after surgery. I had already bought and was using a cheap pump (£25ish from LoveHoney) and that worked fine and still does. If (having had an RP) you face a wait for an NHS prescribed pump then I would buy a cheap one to use now, bearing in mind the remark above about early use being linked with better outcomes.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 16:47
They'll watch your PSA carefully. A steadily increasing PSA is a sign that things are moving in the wrong direction; as long as it's pretty stable you're ok.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 17:16

Thanks Chris.

I am on psa blood tests every 12 weeks and they are def keeping an eye on me.

I am swaying towards RP as I can have RT afterwards if there is cancer  re-occurrence.

My surgeon who is also my lead urologist is telling me that surgery after radiotherapy is particularly challenging and not recommended.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 17:22

I am swaying towards RP as I can have RT afterwards if there is cancer  re-occurrence.

It is common for men to start out this way but it is flawed thinking - if you have a recurrence following radical treatment, your chance of successful salvage treatment is quite low regardless of which way round you have the treatment. It is better to opt first for the treatment most likely to achieve full remission, not to opt for a treatment based on what would happen if it fails! 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 18:23

In my case RT was strongly recommended. My PSA (31 at diagnosis) was significantly higher than could be accounted for by the biopsy results, leading to a suspicion of undetectable spread outside the prostate. I therefore had "whole pelvis" RT with the pelvic lymph nodes being irradiated in addition to the prostate. I'm approaching four years since my RT and, touch wood, everything looks good. 

Best wishes,

Chris