I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Zoladex and Booze

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 03:10

Is it ok to have a few pints on Zoladex?

With all due respect this is a question for those who have been on the medication?

I am well capable of reading Google and more learned journals, which I have done but I am interested in hearing it from someone who has the T Shirt. Thanks.

User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 20:05

I've been a functioning alcoholic for many, many years.  I'm just coming up to the end of my three years on Zoldadex.  I never changed my drinking habits throughout my treatment.  I don't believe there was any cross-indication between the two.  That is, I didn't feel any more or less effect from the alcohol throughout, and my PSA results showed the drug was having its full effect as intended.  Drink and enjoy mate.  We have to have something pleasurable in our lives!

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 21:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I imagine the Chateau Neuf Du Pape stocks are static within my local convenience store. He was stocking purely for me. 

Amused me anyway. (As I finished my glass of claret).

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 11:04

Hi, my husband has been on prostap which I believe is similar to Zoladex. He is about to have his second injection tomorrow and has continued to drink and enjoy Christmas.  We are very sociable and asked the oncologist about drinking whilst on HT and RT and they said to carry on with life as normal. The only advice was to not drink on the days when receiving RT. I hope this helps. 

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 13:19

I was on zoladex for two years, it had no effect on my drinking and my drinking had no effect on my zoladex. My usual quantity of drink would be about two or three pints on a Saturday night, but occasionally six pints.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 13:34
No issues at all after 2 years on Decapeptyl. Obviously the fatigue can worsen , but now I’m incurable I eat and drink whatever I like and generally enjoy my life as best I can. Cheers 🍻
User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 17:51
I certainly wasn't advised I needed to change eating or drinking habits while on Zoladex - and didn't.

(Obviously, with the exception of the period of radiotherapy, when there was specific advice).

I guess the only thing to be careful about, you are more likely to put on weight even if you are unaware of changing your dietary input.

User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 18:58

Interesting, when I went for my CT Planning scan in December, I asked about diet and the radiographer said no change. I have actually stopped alcohol since mid December after reading this forum  but have had a couple of glasses of wine on Christmas Day and will have a wee dram tonight to see in the New Year. RT starts 16th January…..37 fractions. Just want to get on with it now.

User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 20:05

I've been a functioning alcoholic for many, many years.  I'm just coming up to the end of my three years on Zoldadex.  I never changed my drinking habits throughout my treatment.  I don't believe there was any cross-indication between the two.  That is, I didn't feel any more or less effect from the alcohol throughout, and my PSA results showed the drug was having its full effect as intended.  Drink and enjoy mate.  We have to have something pleasurable in our lives!

User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 21:40
No advice that I should not drink alcohol but it's not recommended with antibiotics generally which some might be prescribed during treatment.
Barry
User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 22:42

Take it how you will but according to QI the only reason the no alcohol with anti-biotics rule came about was because when they were first invented they were primarily prescribed for VD.  Booze leads to lower inhibitions.  Therefore the more p****d you become the more likely you are to have casual sex and therefore pass on VD.  Which explains, "here's your anti-biotics, stay off the booze".  In other words, alcohol does not impact on the efficacy of anti-biotics.

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 01:38
I am teetotal but always understood that antibiotics made people get drunker quicker!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 02:57

Some instructions about taking antibiotics with Alcohol vary. Here is one that warns against.

"A few specific antibiotics affect how the body processes alcohol. This can lead to very unpleasant and sometimes dangerous consequences after a small amount of alcohol, including severe vomiting and raised temperature. So always check with your doctor or pharmacist before you start your course of antibiotics if it is OK to have even one drink or not.

Your body breaks down and absorbs different medications in different ways. Drinking alcohol at the same time your body is processing medicine can affect the speed it’s broken down inside you – in some cases increasing the effect of the medicine and decreasing it in others.

It’s also known that older adults are particularly vulnerable to adverse effects from consuming alcohol alongside their medication".

The above taken from :- https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/facts/health-effects-of-alcohol/lifestyle/is-it-ok-to-drink-while-on-medication

Edited by member 01 Jan 2023 at 03:01  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 02:15

Thank you all. I drink too much but I have reduced significantly. I imagine the Chateau Neuf Du Pape stocks are static within my local convenience store. He was stocking purely for me. 

All posts appreciated. I seem to be a lot less tetchy as well.

Gabriel 

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 21:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I imagine the Chateau Neuf Du Pape stocks are static within my local convenience store. He was stocking purely for me. 

Amused me anyway. (As I finished my glass of claret).