I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Spacer - yes or no?

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 18:00

Recently diagnosed with prostrate cancer, no symptons, low psa (3.6) but 4+5 Gleeson score after biopsy. MRI, CT and Bone density scan are clear so no spread so far. Been on Hormone therapy for 2 months,( 4weeks anti androgen tablets and injection 2 weeks after starting) no side effects so far. Starting Radiotherapy mid February 2023.

60  years old, fairly fit and generally in good health.

Wondering if it is worth spending £6K on spacer before RT. 

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 19:18
All the hospitals I’m aware of which were trialling it have not continued with the procedure, which would suggest that its benefits did not prove as clear cut as initially believed. My insurance company agreed to fund it, but I couldn’t find anywhere to have it done.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 20:02

Thanks Chris, I don't have private health insurance and was trying to decide whether or not to fund it myself. 

I think your reply puts it clearly in context for me, if all goes well I might consider a cruise instead.

Thank you.

User
Posted 28 Dec 2022 at 21:28

I had LDR Brachytherapy a month ago, when I first met the doctor I asked about a spacer ( over £7000.00 ) all he said was no! He is a man of few words however apparently he is a very good doctor.
The hospital had trialed using a spacer but did not continue making spacers available when the trial ended.
One of my major worries would be trying to coordinate the time line between the NHS and private sector. As far as I’m aware the Hydrogel SpaceOAR only lasts for about 90 days so if there was any unforeseen delay in your NHS treatment your spacer could be useless.

Cruise sounds good🚢 ( suggestion only 😎)
Rgds
Dave

Edited by member 29 Dec 2022 at 06:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Dec 2022 at 00:10
Similar story in Leeds - St James's trialled SpaceOar but discontinued the project. I understand that one of the potential problems is the S2paceOar can prevent the RT from reaching the front of the prostate.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 29 Dec 2022 at 17:05

Yes, my oncologist at Clatterbridge contacted Leeds on my behalf to see if they could do it for me, but they were no longer doing so by then. 

Cheers,

Chris