I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Really Concerned ………

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 19:56

My husband has been living with Prostate Cancer for about 10 years. Initially thought to have metastasised locally, but never really proven. At diagnosis PSA 18. Gleason 4+3. Initially on 6 monthly injections of Decapeptyl. After 8 years PSA began to rise again to 6. Started on Xtandi, but with unacceptable side effects. Changed Meds to Erleada x 4. After 5 months changed to 2 x daily due to side effects. This took PSA down to undetectable. 

my husband then suffered with several health problems unconnected to his prostate cancer. spinal surgery, and early this year 2x stomach operations. He saw his urologist in June 2022, when his PSA was still undetectable. 

Fast forward to today - due for 6 monthly check up, so had a PSA blood test - results came back as 5. 
Questioning  my husband about this rise, I asked how many tablets of Erleada he was currently taking. He looked at me as if I was mad, and said to me Erleada? What tablet is that. It appears that my husband has not taken any for the past 6 months - but can’t remember why he stopped.

Whilst this explains the PSA rise, it really worries me that my husband can forget to take tablets that are so important. It means I will have to check daily that he is taking his medications. 
Sorry about the rant, but I am feeling so confused and upset. I have done everything to support my husband, but how could he forget to take a tablet that is a matter of life or death?

User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 11:30
I think try to put your feelings aside for a moment and think analytically. HT can affect memory or cause 'foggy' thinking, and confusion can be caused by anaemia, bone mets, low mood/ depression, etc.

It has been known for early signs of dementia to show themselves following a general anaesthetic / hospital stay ... not that GA causes dementia directly but the change of routine shows up little signs that wouldn't otherwise have been noticed.

Another possibility- if he is anything like my OH, there are now so many tablets it is hard to remember what each is for! Or is it possible that his oncologist told him to stop taking them; the timing does seem to tie up with his last review?

So think - is he showing any other signs of memory loss / confusion? Could this be the start of dementia? Is he a bit depressed / anxious? If there is anything other than forgetting what one particular tablet is for, make an appointment to see the GP with him. The GP may also have a letter from the onco detailing the outcome of that June appointment.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 14:06

You need to chase up what happened to the prescription. Due to the cost and funding, it's usually handled separately from other prescription drugs.

It may have been stopped accidentally by the hospital on a visit for something else. Every time my mum went in to hospital, they would stop all her meds, and start from scratch building up what they thought she needed, which they often got wrong.

Edited by member 01 Jan 2023 at 14:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 11:54

I agree your husband might be at an early stage of Dementia and would recommend he arranges an appointment with his GP to get this checked. Sadly, my wife was diagnosed with this and at that point it was highly unlikely anybody without experience of the disease would have suspected it. Even my elder daughter who was in regular touch could not believe it. My wife takes pills each day which are supposed to slow progression but is now at an advanced stage. However, I note that there is a new drug which is showing better results if started early, so at least some people on it diagnosed at an early stage will do better in future if it only further slows progression.

It might well be embarrassing but I thank your husband's consultant should also be made aware of the tablet omission if not already informed. 

Edited by member 18 May 2023 at 14:59  | Reason: further thought

Barry