I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prescribed adcal

User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 18:18

my gp has  prescribed  adcal lemon chews 2 a day, I already take 1000iu d3 and k2 mk-7 I take calcium with alpro milk and yoghurt, the problem is I have been taking ppis for years which prevent absorbing nutrients, is it best to take adcal chews,I go for blood work on Monday will that be able to check calcium levels, and  I have an appointment with  endocrinologist on 7th Feb prior to starting zoledronic acid infusion. 

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 01:58
Radar, you need to ask your GP that question, not us. The GP has prescribed the adcal for a reason; did you tell him everything else that you are taking, especially the stuff that you self-prescribe? He will know about everything you get on prescription.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 10:14

Hi

I was prescribed Adcal-3 a about a month or so after being diagnosed with APC,I take no other over the counter supplements,but I have also eat organic figs and other more natural foods for bone strength In the morning i find Holland n Barrert are quite good.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 12:53
For some reason whenever I took Adcal it made me awfully tired and wrecked my stomach so I’ve stopped. I take a Cod liver oil capsule each day which includes full D3 so Onco said that was ok
User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 13:13

I don't think you can tell much about Calcium from blood. The level in the blood is a very narrow range (unless you have some other disorder) - your body stores Calcium in your bones. If it needs Calcium, it thinks nothing of just taking from the bones, and expecting that will be replenished. If you're on hormone therapy, that replenishment doesn't work very well, so taking extra Calcium helps reduce the amount taken from bones, and may help with replacing it too, although that requires Vitamin D and exercise which stresses the bones too (and K2 may help, but can be a problem for anyone on blood thinners).

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 13:33
Radar isn't on HT; a simple straightforward answer might be more accessible to him?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 17:00
I think adcal won't be good for me because I have got a hiatus hernia, I take 1000iu d3 and k2 mk-7, it's ok people saying ask your gp it's murder trying to get in touch with anyone, and when you get in touch via a klinik form online you have to wait for ages for a phone call, I wear hearing aids for hearing loss from the army, I struggle,
User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 17:52
Did the GP prescribe the adcal? He must know you have a hiatus hernia? When he prescribed it, were you having an appointment with him or was the prescription just sent to you without any discussion?

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 20:18
it was just sent to me,when I have seen gps a while ago, I have said things that I have problems with, they look at there computer then say oh yes some gps don't read patients notes properly, I get mixed up sometimes because different gps say different things about the same problem, adcal-d3 lemon chewable a lot of sugar, I am at the dentist shortly before I start zoledronic acid.