I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA a level after 6 months on HT

User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 18:52

After 6 months of HT my PSA has dropped from 36 to 3 after 3 months then 1.6 after 6 months. Get my next prostap injection on 4th January then RT on whole pelvic area starting 16th January. I am Type T3BN0M0.

i was kind of hoping it might have dropped to below 1 after 6 months but maybe I’m expecting too much?

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 01:55
PSA reading isn't always a reliable indicator of the efficacy of the HT - it is the direction of travel that matters. Some men get below 0.1 on HT but not all.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Jan 2023 at 11:38

After RT is done & dusted, PSA will probably drop very low. 0.01 or similar, it will probably stay that way until HT is ended - then as the HT slowly wanes in your system, there will be a slow rise - mine is now 0.37, 2 years + after HT had ended - Onco's are quite happy with that. It seems so long as the rate of increase does not go into overdrive, there are no Concerns. Remember, you will still have a prostate - even if it is more like a squashed tomato 😆

Good luck, keep as fit & active as you can (without overdoing it) is my advice.
Follow all the diet advice you get during RT - avoid "Windy" food as much as possible - the better they can target your prostate, the better the result with less side effects.

Edited by member 03 Jan 2023 at 11:41  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 01:55
PSA reading isn't always a reliable indicator of the efficacy of the HT - it is the direction of travel that matters. Some men get below 0.1 on HT but not all.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Jan 2023 at 11:38

After RT is done & dusted, PSA will probably drop very low. 0.01 or similar, it will probably stay that way until HT is ended - then as the HT slowly wanes in your system, there will be a slow rise - mine is now 0.37, 2 years + after HT had ended - Onco's are quite happy with that. It seems so long as the rate of increase does not go into overdrive, there are no Concerns. Remember, you will still have a prostate - even if it is more like a squashed tomato 😆

Good luck, keep as fit & active as you can (without overdoing it) is my advice.
Follow all the diet advice you get during RT - avoid "Windy" food as much as possible - the better they can target your prostate, the better the result with less side effects.

Edited by member 03 Jan 2023 at 11:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Jan 2023 at 12:06

Thanks Bob here’s hoping …..
When I went for my CT Planning scan I asked about diet and they said just eat normally. I will ask the CSN when I go tomorrow for my next Hormone injection and the RT team when I start treatment on the 16th.

I am keeping fit and  active, and enjoying going to the gym, walking and when the weather improves a bit(probably July in Scotland!) I will get back out in my ebike….I don’t want to risk it at the moment because I don’t want anything to get in the way of starting treatment. I hope to continue all these during my treatment to a lesser extent depending on how I’m feeling. The gym is good because it is close by, can stay for as long as I wish…and there’s a toilet near by!

I’ve had gold seed implants so hopefully that helps with targeting but am also have treatment to the whole pelvic area(well lymph nodes as I understand it)…not really sure how they target them?

Derek

User
Posted 03 Jan 2023 at 14:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

After RT is done & dusted, PSA will probably drop very low. 0.01 or similar, it will probably stay that way until HT is ended

Not always, Bob. My PSA has never fallen below 1, but my oncologist is happy: he told me prior to my treatment that he'd regard a PSA nadir of 2 or below as indicating success. 

Approaching 4 years after RT my PSA is (or was in October) 1.1, which is its lowest value yet. 

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Jan 2023 at 19:45
My CSN had an interesting take on this today when I spoke to her. She was delighted with my 1.6 but when I said I thought it might have been lower, she asked me when I had had my gold marker seeds done? This was not long before I had my test and she explained that anything that disturbs the prostate could raise your PSA level.