BPH medication

User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 19:35

Should I take:

Tamsulosin

knowing that I have 3+4 PCa?

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 01:51

If suggested by your urologist, yes. It will help reduce the size of your prostate and reduce the side effects of the BPH and, as a bonus, make radical treatment easier when / if you get to that stage. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 13:48

Tamsulosin relaxes the smooth muscles of the prostate and internal urinary sphincter, helping you pee faster.

Peeing faster makes it more likely you will empty your bladder when you pee, which will reduce the frequency of having to pee. (You pee for a certain length of time, not until your bladder is empty. If you have a slow flow rate, you will finish peeing before your bladder is empty, so it will fill up again faster.) Failing to empty your bladder will increase risk/frequency of UTIs. Peeing slowly can also cause bladder spasms, which lead to urgency and the need to pee before your bladder fills up.

There's no problem taking Tamsulosin with prostate cancer. However, if the cancer is restricting the flow in the urethra (which is not very common as prostate cancer doesn't tend to start in the middle of the prostate), then Tamsulosin won't help with that.

Tamsulosin is a fast acting drug for improving flow, so you'll know pretty instantly if it's going to work. Equally, it wears off quickly and doesn't usually last 24h. Tamsulosin also has a long-term effect of slightly reducing prostate size, which might also be of benefit for BPH, although there are other drugs more aimed at doing this, Finasteride and Dutasteride (5 𝞪-reductase inhibitors, or 5ARI's). Note that 5ARI's will halve your PSA, so you need to double PSA test results to assess risk/progression of prostate cancer if you're on these (not for Tamsulosin though).

Tamsulosin is not normally of any use if you've had a prostatectomy, as all the tissues which respond to it will have been removed.

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 14:02

Hi Andy.

thank you for a fantastic response that was very helpful indeed

Edited by member 01 Jan 2023 at 14:03  | Reason: Put name in

User
Posted 22 May 2023 at 11:58
Hi just a side effect I was prescribed Tamsulosin hydrochloride 400 microgram once a day, which I had to stop due to diarrhoea which after a couple of attempts with the same outcome, so Doxazosin 2mg, 1 tab per day was prescribed instead yes it works although not showing the increase in flow rate that Tamsulosin showed even though it was only taken for a couple of days at each attempt.

Doxazosin belongs to a group of medicines called alpha blockers. It's used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and symptoms of an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic enlargement). Alpha blockers reduce blood pressure by relaxing your blood vessels so blood can pass through them more easily.