Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA level rising suddenly

User
Posted 01 Jan 2023 at 22:42

Hi Folks,

I'm 64 years old and have enlarged prostate diagnosed about 4 years ago. My PSA has sat around the 3 somethings for that time and as of Oct 2021 it was settled at 3.8 ng/ml.  In Sept this year I had serious stomach pain which was and remains swollen and tender. 

A visit to the GP resulted in a DRE (negative findings) and bloods were taken and I was prescribed a course of antibiotics in case I had a bacterial infection or similar. Soon after, my GP contacted me to advise that my PSA had risen to 5.6 in the last 12 months and he referred me to the urologist whom I saw the beginning of December 2022. He conducted another DRE and again the findings were negative, but the rise in PSA gave him sufficient cause for concern and he is arranging an MRI scan.

at the end of November I developed pain in my right hip, right groin area and my middle and lower back and both left and right ribs. Mostly this pain is a gnawing and dull ache, but can often be severe and stabbing. It gets worse at night and wakes me continuously throughout the night, coupled with my visits to the toilet every hour where I can sit for ages trying to pee, stopping, starting and never feeling fully empty, something I am used to after 4 years with a nuisance prostate.

I have been on tamsulosin for 4 years but it's not working at all anymore. The pain in my back hip and ribs drove me back to the GP and he took more bloods. My PSA is now at 7 ng/ml, a rise if 1.4 in less than two months and a total rise of 3.2 ng/ml in 12 months.

The pains in my bones have not relinquished and in fact are worsening and almost seem to be rising up my torso.

I think the lack of any significant lump, bump or hardness in my DRE the urologist and GP seem to have put me on the back burner for the time being and I'm doing circuits and bumps waiting for an MRI date.

Should I be overly worried about my rise in PSA and pain?

Thank you for your time.

Keith

User
Posted 02 Jan 2023 at 01:33

I don't think the bone pains are related to prostate cancer. Bone pain from prostate cancer implies advanced prostate cancer and that usually comes with a PSA in the hundreds. There are a few prostate cancers which do not cause a high PSA but they are very rare. For it still not to be showing up on a DRE, if it is advanced prostate cancer, seems very unlikely.

So yes you should be a little worried about the rising PSA, and separately you should be worried about your other bone pains.

You might also want to enquire about intermittent self catheterisation, so your sleep is not disturbed by needing to pee.

If you are in England your PSA is probably enough to justify a cancer referral, and that usually would result in an MRI within about six weeks.

Dave

User
Posted 02 Jan 2023 at 10:46

Thank you, that's reassuring.

JB