I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Resuming Sexual Activity

User
Posted 02 Jan 2023 at 11:37

Has anyone been advised as to how long you should wait after a robotic assisted radical prostatectomy before resuming any sexual activity? 

User
Posted 03 Jan 2023 at 08:51
I know my post op recovery was a little fraught but be careful with early use of the pump. Pissing blood after using it to soon is a really scary experience!
User
Posted 02 Jan 2023 at 22:04
If erections have returned to normal, as soon as the catheter is out! With no erections, masturbation and oral sex should be okay as soon as catheter is out. Best not to use a vacuum pump or try any strenuous positions until you have seen the urologist for your 6 week post-op review.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Jan 2023 at 06:38

Prostate Cancer UK produce a leaflet called "Treating erectile dysfunction after surgery for pelvic cancers", with the sub heading "A quick guide for health professionals: supporting men with erectile dysfunction".

For Tablets (PDE5-Is) (sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil and avanafil) it says "Early initiation (after catheter removal or within 14 days) promotes early recovery and preservation of erectile function".

For a Vacuum Erection Device (pump) it says:

Early use (within one month after surgery) linked with better outcomes. Can be initiated 4-8 weeks after surgery.

I had no problem being prescribed tadalafil and a vacuum pump, but various factors outside my control meant I didn't get the pump until 4 months after surgery. I had already bought and was using a cheap pump (£25ish from LoveHoney) and that worked fine and still does. If (having had an RP) you face a wait for an NHS prescribed pump then I would buy a cheap one to use now, bearing in mind the remark above about early use being linked with better outcomes.

User
Posted 03 Jan 2023 at 08:07

RP September 2022

I was told that using touch to try and stimulate the nerves was a good jumping off point as soon as the catheter was out. 

I use a medical grade vacuum pump. I bought it myself. Had I waited for one to be prescribed then I would still be waiting... You can claim the VAT back btw.

Edited by member 03 Jan 2023 at 08:08  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Jan 2023 at 19:00
3 months?
User
Posted 02 Jan 2023 at 22:04
If erections have returned to normal, as soon as the catheter is out! With no erections, masturbation and oral sex should be okay as soon as catheter is out. Best not to use a vacuum pump or try any strenuous positions until you have seen the urologist for your 6 week post-op review.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Jan 2023 at 06:38

Prostate Cancer UK produce a leaflet called "Treating erectile dysfunction after surgery for pelvic cancers", with the sub heading "A quick guide for health professionals: supporting men with erectile dysfunction".

For Tablets (PDE5-Is) (sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil and avanafil) it says "Early initiation (after catheter removal or within 14 days) promotes early recovery and preservation of erectile function".

For a Vacuum Erection Device (pump) it says:

Early use (within one month after surgery) linked with better outcomes. Can be initiated 4-8 weeks after surgery.

I had no problem being prescribed tadalafil and a vacuum pump, but various factors outside my control meant I didn't get the pump until 4 months after surgery. I had already bought and was using a cheap pump (£25ish from LoveHoney) and that worked fine and still does. If (having had an RP) you face a wait for an NHS prescribed pump then I would buy a cheap one to use now, bearing in mind the remark above about early use being linked with better outcomes.

User
Posted 03 Jan 2023 at 08:07

RP September 2022

I was told that using touch to try and stimulate the nerves was a good jumping off point as soon as the catheter was out. 

I use a medical grade vacuum pump. I bought it myself. Had I waited for one to be prescribed then I would still be waiting... You can claim the VAT back btw.

Edited by member 03 Jan 2023 at 08:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Jan 2023 at 08:51
I know my post op recovery was a little fraught but be careful with early use of the pump. Pissing blood after using it to soon is a really scary experience!