I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

More than a little confused !

User
Posted 05 Jan 2023 at 16:13

I have just returned from meeting a consultant to review the findings of my transperineal biopsy that was completed on 24 November. I had convinced myself that the result would be positive & reasoned that someone would have phoned me before the Christmas holiday period if otherwise. I was surprised to learn that, despite 39 'cores' having been taken, no cancer was, once again, 'found'. 

This is a 'repeat' of my first biopsy in June 2020, since when my PSA has risen from 11.0 to 19.2 - I am on finasteride so my 'corrected PSA' is 38.4.

I am 75 - the consultant has suggested a further PSA in six months, after which I should either try & 'forget' about the risk of prostate cancer, or move to an annual PSA. Both of my biopsies were under general anaesthetic with the recent one being followed by Acute Urinary Retention a few hours after I had been discharged. The consultant was quite categoric in advising that I would not be biopsied again.

I would like to be able to 'park' the risk of prostate cancer but it is something that I have lived with for several years.  Should I take the view that I am now of such an 'age' that it no longer matters & that if I were to develop am problem in the future it would be managed, perhaps using hormone therapy, rather than an attempt to cure ? I am sure that I am not the first to be faced with this dilemma & would appreciate all thoughts as to the way forward. Thanks

User
Posted 05 Jan 2023 at 20:43
A template biopsy with 39 cores doesn't lie. There are lots of potential causes for raised PSA. Whatever the reason is in your case, it's clearly not prostate cancer, which is very pleasing. Have a large drink and celebrate!

Annual PSA tests sound like a good plan.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 05 Jan 2023 at 22:07

I have a friend whose PSA has bobbed along at 16 for the last decade. I believe we have had a PSA of 80 on this website but no cancer. I think forget about the risk is the best advice. There are plenty of people on this site who get PSA anxiety whenever they have a test. Do you really need to be putting yourself through that each year? Strictly speaking you have a 75% chance of having PCa so you are already defeating the odds by not having it.

I don't think there is any point in fretting about whether it could be managed with hormone treatment if it occurred, because it hasn't occurred.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jan 2023 at 22:23
One possibility you might consider is to have a 68 Gallium PSMA test but you might have to pay for it if your Oncologist is not prepared to request it. This could also depend on whether the tracer is now more readily available again.
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Jan 2023 at 20:43
A template biopsy with 39 cores doesn't lie. There are lots of potential causes for raised PSA. Whatever the reason is in your case, it's clearly not prostate cancer, which is very pleasing. Have a large drink and celebrate!

Annual PSA tests sound like a good plan.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 05 Jan 2023 at 22:07

I have a friend whose PSA has bobbed along at 16 for the last decade. I believe we have had a PSA of 80 on this website but no cancer. I think forget about the risk is the best advice. There are plenty of people on this site who get PSA anxiety whenever they have a test. Do you really need to be putting yourself through that each year? Strictly speaking you have a 75% chance of having PCa so you are already defeating the odds by not having it.

I don't think there is any point in fretting about whether it could be managed with hormone treatment if it occurred, because it hasn't occurred.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jan 2023 at 22:23
One possibility you might consider is to have a 68 Gallium PSMA test but you might have to pay for it if your Oncologist is not prepared to request it. This could also depend on whether the tracer is now more readily available again.
Barry