I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Carbon Ion

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 09:09

Does anyone have any experience of Carbon Ion Radiation treatment?

Gabriel 

User
Posted 07 Jan 2023 at 01:42

I researched and tried for Carbon Ion treatment in 2007/8 at several places but drew a blank. I might have got it in Japan but thought this was a step too far, particularly as need to return for check ups. So I settled for taking part in a study run by Heidelberg University Hospital in Germany which gave a Carbon Iron Boost of 6 fractions each of 3Gy to supplement 30 fractions each of 2Gy IMRT. Actually, the Carbon Ion element was administered at GSI Darmstadt as the dedicated hospital facility opening was delayed until 2009. I was fitted with a body mold from head to just above my knees as it is especially important to ensure there is no movement due to the highly destructive nature of Carbon Ions. Alignment marks were on body mold, so no tattoos required. Also, no enemas or prior requirement to drink vast quantities of water. However had MRI and 5 CT scans in one week to establish position of Prostate on preliminary visit before treatment period. Prostate position was checked by scan prior to each Carbon Iron fraction and before some of IMRT fractions.

My PSA at diagnosis was 17.6 with Gleason 3+4 and staging T3A in 2007 and my nadir PSA was 0.05 a couple of years after RT. My PSA subsequently approached biological chemical failure so I had HIFU in 2015 and again in December 2021 and has recorded 0.02 on each of 3 occasions covering last year, the lowest figure since I was diagnosed in 2007 so I am pleased with that. I think I was lucky to have the treatment I opted for and was lucky that the Carbon Ion element provided by Heidelberg was without charge and that I managed to secure funding for the IMRT element which Heidelberg provided at reduced cost. The HIFU was done within the NHS.

Here is a video of the hospital based facility that I was due to have Carbon Iron treatment on but was not quite ready in 2008. Although later centres offering Carbon Ion treatment are more compact, they are expensive to construct and maintain so few men have Carbon Ion treatment

Response may therefore be very limited  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeApaY7ctMo

Edited by member 07 Jan 2023 at 02:13  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry