I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Stopping Decapeptyl

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 11:10

After I had a TURPS operation in 2017 cancer was discovered in the  biopsy sample.  

Gleason 3 + 4       PSA  5.3  

and I have been on active surveillance since then but in 2022 my PSA went up  to 7.6.   I have also suffered several heart attacks since 2002 and so a prostatectomy was ruled out because of this which I understand and accept  (14 stents,  quad CABG and a coronary sinus reducer in Jan 2022).

The medical decision was for radio therapy.  So they started me on Bicalutimide followed by a jab of Decapeptyl before I could chat with the oncologist. Some of the side effects I could not distinguish from my heart treatment drugs.  However after a discusion with the oncologist three weeks later I decided at 73 that I should not put my body through the radiation treament (and side effects). Quality of life was importand and the oncologist accepted that so I am now on watchful waiting.  As a result of the decapeptyl jab my PSA dropped to 0.97 so I am now just doing a PSA test every 6 months and will call the system if it shoots up in the future.

What I wanted to know is how long the side effects of  decapeptyl  last after the single jab.   I am extremely tired and don't want to fiddle with my heart drugs if the problem is the jab and it will fade after a while...

Thanks for any input  Mike

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 11:54

Decapeptyl is available in 4-week, 12-week, and 24-week doses, so it depends which one you had (that will be in your medical records if you don't know). It will probably take as long again to be completely clear of it when that dose runs out.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 13:18

So it may have worn off in 3 months.

It would be worth getting a Testosterone test with your next PSA test, so you can see if Testosterone is back to normal.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 11:42

Had my last decapeptyl in December after two years was told it will be several months before side effects disappear don't know if anyone else can add to that who have finished hormone therapy and been on a similar trajectory 

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 11:54

Decapeptyl is available in 4-week, 12-week, and 24-week doses, so it depends which one you had (that will be in your medical records if you don't know). It will probably take as long again to be completely clear of it when that dose runs out.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 13:09
Many thanks.

sorry to have missed out the figures:

Decapeptyl SR (Triptorelin) 11.25mg 12week dose.

Was supoposed to have a second shot in Dec 2022...

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 13:18

So it may have worn off in 3 months.

It would be worth getting a Testosterone test with your next PSA test, so you can see if Testosterone is back to normal.