I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Becoming ill during RT

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 15:20

I’m due to start RT on 16th January. I’m Really hoping this isn’t going to happen and doing everything I can to stay healthy and prevent it, but what happens if during treatment you become unwell for some other reason than the RT itself(such as COVID) and find you are not well enough to attend. I know they don’t like a break in treatment (except weekends) so what would be the outcome if this happened?

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 19:32

Hay Decho 

my only sensible suggestion is to impose minimum contact and basically isolate. And deffo wear a mask in hospital or anywhere public.   My plan is exactly that and it isn’t just Covid but all the other bugs around just now

N

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 20:04

Hi Decho. Sound advice from Nigel. Do all you can you avoid catching something. If you are unfortunate enough to get a virus, I was told by my RT team they would still treat me (assuming I was well enough to attend). My appointment would be moved to the end of the day to avoid contact with other vulnerable patients.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 21:00
Yes, I was told the same as Chris. If I had caught Covid, they would still do their best to treat me but would re-schedule to avoid contact with other patients (and presumably allow time for staff to wear more PPE and to decontaminate after).

Everyone, no exceptions, wore masks in the hospital - after all we were cancer patients.
User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 21:15

My OH had to go to A & E at 4am this morning, he was exhausted after being up all night with ear pain. He was given antibiotics intravenously, and told he had cellulitis in his ear caused by eczema (which he hasn't had before) and also given a 7 day course of antibiotics to take at home. He's had 6 of 23fr of RT up to now, and when he phoned The Christie to ask if he should still attend his 5pm appointment, and explain what had happened, they said yes, it's fine. 

User
Posted 07 Jan 2023 at 01:12

I think this is an excellent question.We live in an ever changing world and common sense would dictate that guidelines should be updated to reflect the omnipresent Covid.

How could anyone suggest that you are over thinking? There are two relevant aspects to the contracting of Covid during Radiotherapy: how it affects one's own treatment and the unnecessary risk it presents to others, both vulnerable patients and vital hospital staff. I would feel very guilty to be traipsing into a hospital for several days with Covid putting others at risk. My recent countless visits to the hospital have made me very aware of the many who are in very vulnerable conditions and desperate situations.

I have several reports from friends previously gung-ho about Covid who have really been poleaxed by a recent dose.

On a separate but related matter. Although I have been a great supporter of the vaccine, I have held off having my latest dose. Although the claims are unsubstantiated there is a huge investigation underway in Japan to look at concerns that vaccines have caused inflammation resulting in the death of the elderly and infirm.

I imagine that insufficient time has elapsed to understand how vaccines affect cancer patients. It is a personal dilemma but I am now in two minds about receiving a booster.

Gabriel 

Edited by member 09 Jan 2023 at 01:17  | Reason: Typo

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 19:32

Hay Decho 

my only sensible suggestion is to impose minimum contact and basically isolate. And deffo wear a mask in hospital or anywhere public.   My plan is exactly that and it isn’t just Covid but all the other bugs around just now

N

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 20:04

Hi Decho. Sound advice from Nigel. Do all you can you avoid catching something. If you are unfortunate enough to get a virus, I was told by my RT team they would still treat me (assuming I was well enough to attend). My appointment would be moved to the end of the day to avoid contact with other vulnerable patients.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 21:00
Yes, I was told the same as Chris. If I had caught Covid, they would still do their best to treat me but would re-schedule to avoid contact with other patients (and presumably allow time for staff to wear more PPE and to decontaminate after).

Everyone, no exceptions, wore masks in the hospital - after all we were cancer patients.
User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 21:15

My OH had to go to A & E at 4am this morning, he was exhausted after being up all night with ear pain. He was given antibiotics intravenously, and told he had cellulitis in his ear caused by eczema (which he hasn't had before) and also given a 7 day course of antibiotics to take at home. He's had 6 of 23fr of RT up to now, and when he phoned The Christie to ask if he should still attend his 5pm appointment, and explain what had happened, they said yes, it's fine. 

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 21:54

Thanks all, I’m actually surprised I’ve not had any advice on this from the RT team when I had my Planning Scan. Maybe on my first session they will say something.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 22:10

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks all, I’m actually surprised I’ve not had any advice on this from the RT team when I had my Planning Scan. Maybe on my first session they will say something.

I have never heard of an RT patient being briefed on what happens if they get ill and it isn't included in any of the hospital RT patient info leaflets that I have just googled. I can't think why they would say something about it to a patient - it isn't a common issue and if it did happen, they would probably just have to play it by ear depending how ill you were. Are you perhaps overthinking things a bit? 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 22:25

Quite possibly Lyn, I tend to do that from time to time!

I was more referring to isolating…..8 weeks is a long time to do that. Many people continue working during their treatment so they can’t do that. I would like to continue with as normal a life as my treatment permits as I think it will help me through these weeks.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2023 at 23:38
Ah, I see. Yes, John worked full time throughout and also went to the gym every day and continued playing rugby. Granted there was no covid then but we have plenty of members on here who have had RT since March 2020 without any crises
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 07 Jan 2023 at 01:12

I think this is an excellent question.We live in an ever changing world and common sense would dictate that guidelines should be updated to reflect the omnipresent Covid.

How could anyone suggest that you are over thinking? There are two relevant aspects to the contracting of Covid during Radiotherapy: how it affects one's own treatment and the unnecessary risk it presents to others, both vulnerable patients and vital hospital staff. I would feel very guilty to be traipsing into a hospital for several days with Covid putting others at risk. My recent countless visits to the hospital have made me very aware of the many who are in very vulnerable conditions and desperate situations.

I have several reports from friends previously gung-ho about Covid who have really been poleaxed by a recent dose.

On a separate but related matter. Although I have been a great supporter of the vaccine, I have held off having my latest dose. Although the claims are unsubstantiated there is a huge investigation underway in Japan to look at concerns that vaccines have caused inflammation resulting in the death of the elderly and infirm.

I imagine that insufficient time has elapsed to understand how vaccines affect cancer patients. It is a personal dilemma but I am now in two minds about receiving a booster.

Gabriel 

Edited by member 09 Jan 2023 at 01:17  | Reason: Typo