I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostactomy Robotic Surgery with the Da Vinci

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 14:41

I have Prostate Cancer Stage 4 with Mets to the lymph nodes and bones.

Am on Enzalutamide until my PSA goes down to undergo Prostactomy Robotic Surgery with the Da Vinci.

Have anyone undergone this Da Vinci Surgery ?

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 20:45

Thanks Elaine. I hope your OH continues to do well.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2023 at 17:04

Removing the prostate under the "Mother ship theory" was detailed in a US scientific paper that I read just after I was diagnosed in 2021 and it suggested that outcomes  over 10 years were better than if the prostate was left in and just radiated etc. That was one of the reasons I decided to have my prostate removed.

Ivan

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 20:43

A lot of patients have prostatectomies, mostly with Da Vinci Surgery.

However, it's a bit unusual to have this if you are diagnosed Stage 4. Sounds like the TRoMbone trial, except that's closed.

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 22:45
I think it is the Atlanta trial.

Lots of information on here from men who have had the op, Barry. General thought up until recently qas that there was little point putting a man through the side effects of the prostatectomy if his cancer is incurable; the side effects can sometimes have a significant impact on quality of life. However, recent research suggests that removing the prostate can keep men alive for a number of extra years so the Atlanta trial is considering whether a) that is true for most or just some men and b) whether it is worth the extra risks

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 00:51

I looked into the Atlanta trial when my husband was diagnosed with spread to lymph node and bones. The only thing of course is that you can’t choose which arm of the trial you are allocated to.

As it turned out, a different opinion said it wasn’t in his bone. He had the robotic prostatectomy with the removal of 14 lymph nodes of which one was infected. We wanted this option for the reasons that Lyn has stated above. Luckily he handled the op really well and recovered great too….he still suffers with ED but seeing some improvements even without medication.

He was always told he would most likely need radiotherapy after the op, but at 12 months post op his PSA is still undetectable. So just a waiting game and I guess he will have more treatment if and when required. Still pray it will never happen, but in reality it’s very possible.

We’re really happy with the choices we made though and have no regrets.

Good luck with your treatment.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 00:54

Just to add…..my husband had 4 months of hormone treatment before his op. He was originally diagnosed T3a but post op histology revealed T2 instead. The surgeon mentioned it could have possibly shrunk with HT. 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 08:48

Hi

I have stage 4 with mets to bones,removal of the prostate has never been mentioned at my onco appointments and the option has never been given.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 11:08

I've stage 4 with mets to bones lymph nodes and a couple organs. Never had the option of removing the prostate or any other form of surgery I think once its stage 4 it just let to run its course once treatment is exhausted.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 13:06

Yes it’s not a standard treatment once PCa has spread but there is a trial taking place ‘Atlanta’ which I got information about when my husband was diagnosed.

He was never offered surgery just HT with chemo or enzalutimide. I had to find someone who would be willing to operate. We paid private but surgeon did offer for us to be referred on the NHS.

I initially watched some YouTube videos with an American doctor who talked about Oligo metastasis and how they could treat maybe up to 5 sites of spread but anymore they probably wouldn’t. I’m really not sure if anyone is ever offered this in the UK or not though. 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 13:36

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi

I have stage 4 with mets to bones,removal of the prostate has never been mentioned at my onco appointments and the option has never been given.

Regards Phil 

The trial is being run at only a handful of hospitals in England.  For many men, it is probably not an attractive option - the RP is likely to be non nerve sparing so ED is almost certain, incontinence is more likely than with nerve sparing and then there is the whole 'recovery from major surgery' aspect to consider. For a man with a chance of full remission, these risks may be worth gambling on but for a man who is incurable and also dealing with the side effects of HT, it may seem like a massive reduction in quality of life for whatever years remain. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 13:38

I've stage 4 with mets to bones lymph nodes and a couple organs. Never had the option of removing the prostate or any other form of surgery I think once its stage 4 it just let to run its course once treatment is exhausted.

I think spread to organs excludes the patient from being able to apply for Atlanta

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 20:23

I think the original poster is from Malaysia?

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 20:27

Hi Elaine.

Did your OH original scans show enlarged lymph nodes?

Thanks

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 20:43

Hi Elaine.

Did your OH original scans show enlarged lymph nodes?

Thanks

Hi Gur007,

His initial MRI scan didn’t show any lymph node issue, it just showed something on his pelvic bone. He later had a CT scan and that’s when he was changed to N1. 
A bone scan confirmed cancer on his pelvis. He then had a PSMA pet scan after 2nd opinion and that confirmed one infected lymph node but no cancer in the bone.

So a long way to answer your question ha….but yes it was confirmed before his operation. 

Thanks

Elaine

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 20:45

Thanks Elaine. I hope your OH continues to do well.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 23:12

I think the original poster is from Malaysia?

Well spotted 

User
Posted 14 Jan 2023 at 13:20
Hi I had a robotic prostectomy read my profile to get the full story.

There is some thinking that the cancerous prostate sends out chemical messages to circulating cancer cells in the body instructing them to seed and grow it's the Mothership theory, there is a very interesting book by DR Patrick Walsh called Surviving Prostate Cancer where he examines this theory .My cancer was found to have spread after my prostectomy and the PSA was doubling very quickly with involvement of several lymph nodes . hence I was put on Enzatutamide and had RT .Removal of the prostate meant my cancer load was low and a low cancer load is easier to treat and has better outcomes .Hence here I am 31 months later undetectable PSA and no evidence of spread on the scans I have just had .It makes sense that if the cancer has not spread too far in the body that removal of the mothership would have benefit and this is being now trialled. However there is a cost consideration as the old thinking has been well the cancer has spread so what's the point of removing the prostate it makes treatment more expensive .However it has become apparent that there is benefit in terms of length of progression free survival if the prostate is removed in all cases where spread is not too advanced.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2023 at 17:04

Removing the prostate under the "Mother ship theory" was detailed in a US scientific paper that I read just after I was diagnosed in 2021 and it suggested that outcomes  over 10 years were better than if the prostate was left in and just radiated etc. That was one of the reasons I decided to have my prostate removed.

Ivan

User
Posted 18 Jan 2023 at 18:42

Yes this is what is being trialled at the moment and it makes perfect sense that removal of the cancerous prostate removes the bulk of the cancer and the chemical messages it can send out  .I am very grateful to have benefitted from having my prostate removed in the initial stage prior to  the salvage treatment I  had to have .It meant there was a much lower load of cancer to treat than if the prostate was still in situ .

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 11:16

Barry, there is a lot of information provided by the replies to your post, but in answer to your question about robotic surgery, I am four-weeks post surgery. The procedure itself was very straightforward and I found it to be painless. I was sore from the incisions but could live with that with no pain relief. My catheter was removed 13 days after surgery. By using the NHS Squeezy app I am regaining control of my bladder and life is a lot better. We are all different and will cope with surgery in different ways but my experience has not been as bad as I expected.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 19:36

It is very confusing. But I was not offered surgery as the MDT felt that surgery could not be sure to remove all the cancer. I was diagnosed T3a N1m0 . When I was shown the scan by the oncologist, although shocked I understood the treatment plan appeared reasonable. I asked what about all the other lymph nodes in the area that were not lighting up and was assured they would be zapped just in case, which was reassuring 

I have confidence that this plan gives me the best chance of survival.

sometimes you need to trust the experts 

N