Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rapid deterioration in walking

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 18:28

Hi guys
My father was diagnosed just before Christmas,  T3 N1 M1b. He has no symptoms from his prostate yet and was only diagnosed after investigations as  his leg kept giving way.

He has widespread bony mets and has gone from walking normally, to using a stick last week to using a frame this week and unable to get out of the chair without help.

He’s 85 in a weeks time and seems to be going downhill rapidly 🙁. He starts radiotherapy next week with the hope that it will help his walking and discomfort and he’s started 3 monthly hormone injections too.

They want to take a biopsy soon but I’m not sure that he’s up to it 🙁

Anyone else in a similar situation or can offer advice?

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 19:21

If he is struggling the radiotherapy will help their are more better informed people on here that will help more than me with their knowledge good luck with his treatment keep in touch gaz 

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 20:49

This sounds like metastatic spinal cord compression, which is an emergency. Has it impacted continence, or any loss of feeling around anus or inside thighs?
Are his clinicians aware how fast this symptom is progressing? If not, I would call NHS 111 tonight.

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 21:16

Thank you Gaz  

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 21:18

No, no loss of feeling anywhere, just low back pain and deterioration in his walking

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 21:21

Hopefully, the RT will alleviate Dad's pain but unfortunately, HT is likely to induce early fatigue and possibly other side effects. It is very easy to exercise less which results in a downward spiral of fitness which he is already experiencing. He really needs to do what he can to exercise, even if it means doing it for shorter periods but more frequently but not to the extent that it is putting too much strain on him. I would suggest that he asks his GP to refer him to Physiotherapy where they are experienced in dealing with elderly people in similar circumstances. I don't know whether Dad is over weight but if he is a dietician may be be able to help because excess weight puts additional strain on his body. He should do all he can to avoid a fall which can be very serious, so should consider what implications this may have on his accommodation if he is still living at home. I know of many cases where a fall has led to serious complications and death.

I am 86 and without mets but like many suffer from arthritis which is something your Dad may also have to contend with and I know I have lost muscle and some control and even some balance in the last couple of years, in part due to my age but also due to constraints with Covid. I think a lot of folk are similarly affected.

Dad's deteriorating situation needs to be closely monitored by his GP and an early appointment made if he has not had one very recently.

Edited by member 08 Jan 2023 at 21:42  | Reason: Punctuation and addition

Barry
User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 21:23

Like Andy says needs checking out asap good luck going forward gaz 👍

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 21:35

Hi Barry

He’s very slim and was actually referred for Physio before diagnosis but it made is hip worse and he’s now unable to exercise 

A fall is what worries me most. He had a baseline bone scan yesterday so we’ll see what the results show 

Thank you for your advice 

Edited by member 08 Jan 2023 at 21:37  | Reason: Not specified