I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Facing the enema and wind

User
Posted 11 Jan 2023 at 20:32

Attended Salford Christie today for my planning markers and scan for RT at the end of January. Got up in the morning and like clockwork I went to the toilet for a number 2 followed again 20 mins later like clockwork for a follow up number 2. That’s been like that for as long as I can remember! I then go for my appointment and they give me an enema. I sit there for 45 mins but nowt. I go into the room and they scan me but then tell me that they want me to return on Friday for a rescan as I was full of wind and constipated! Constipated! I had just emptied my bowel twice. They then tell me to drink 2 litres of water, limit my tea intake, and take another enema tomorrow (Thurs) and (Fri) before my scan. They put the markers on me and said “this was quite common” (rescanning) but again I told them that I had emptied my bowel prior to the appt and never been constipated in my life. I then go home and “wham bam, thank you mam” I go to the toilet and have the after effects of the enema of the state! 

Now getting worried in case we have a repeat performance on Friday and it gets delayed again plus what happens if they can never get a clear planning scan because of the above! Any advice welcome. 

Andy

User
Posted 11 Jan 2023 at 22:26

You'll be surprised how quickly you get into the routine mate.  I had 20 fractions.  Drank more water than I've ever done in my life.  Was given Dulcolax sachets and Senna tablets.  One sachet and two Senna at bedtime.  Big clear out the following morning!  Then self administered micro-enema one hour before appointment time.  I think I had to empty my bladder one hour before then drink 500ml of water but it was three years ago so my memory may be hazy.  Anyway, I never had any problem with my bowels.  About three times my bladder was either too full or not full enough.  In the case of the former was sent to the loo to let a bit out.  A bit tricky to get right!  In the case of the latter had to drink cups of water to top up.  Just relax, you'll be fine.  After a few sessions you'll be an old hand.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 08:07

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

You'll be surprised how quickly you get into the routine mate.  I had 20 fractions.  Drank more water than I've ever done in my life.  Was given Dulcolax sachets and Senna tablets.  One sachet and two Senna at bedtime.  Big clear out the following morning!  Then self administered micro-enema one hour before appointment time.  I think I had to empty my bladder one hour before then drink 500ml of water but it was three years ago so my memory may be hazy.  Anyway, I never had any problem with my bowels.  About three times my bladder was either too full or not full enough.  In the case of the former was sent to the loo to let a bit out.  A bit tricky to get right!  In the case of the latter had to drink cups of water to top up.  Just relax, you'll be fine.  After a few sessions you'll be an old hand.

Yes, that brings back memories - "letting a bit out" was frowned on at Addenbrooks, but as there were delays at times, I had no choice - no fractions were ever cancelled, though comments were sometimes made about me being "Windy" ! 😆

User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 21:15
Don't worry, the radiotherapy staff are totally used to us patients struggling to manage the required states of bladder and rectum. And you will quickly work out which of the other men are also being treated for prostate cancer - they will be the ones going in then reappearing to drink more water, or pee out a required volume into a marked container, or do the job with the micro-enema.

In my experience the staff were very patient and understanding, and you got a bit of a community spirit from the fellow sufferers going through the same experience.

Good luck!

User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 22:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Don't worry, the radiotherapy staff are totally used to us patients struggling to manage the required states of bladder and rectum. And you will quickly work out which of the other men are also being treated for prostate cancer - they will be the ones going in then reappearing to drink more water, or pee out a required volume into a marked container, or do the job with the micro-enema.

In my experience the staff were very patient and understanding, and you got a bit of a community spirit from the fellow sufferers going through the same experience.

Good luck!

Attended this morning and no issues. In the words of the radiotherapist “that was bang on the button” 🤣 now it’s time to meet this ‘mother’ head on! 30th Jan start. Before then a week in Tenerife next week! 

User
Posted 14 Jan 2023 at 21:43
SLF, I had missed that it was your planning scan.

That was a nightmare for me too. They obviously want to get that exactly right, so they can have a reference from which they can make adjustments (up to limits) when doing the real irradiation.

A week away first sounds like a brilliant plan.