Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Telephone appointment after biopsy

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 16:59

Hello,

After his MRI in November OH had his template biopsy last week.

He has received a letter today for a telephone appointment on 13th February. To be honest we were expecting an appointment in person for results and discussion of treatment if needed.

I assume the telephone appointment will give the results, but will that be all ? Will he then need another appointment to discuss treatment if needed ? Anyone else been through the steps like this ?

I think we just want to be prepared to ask questions if needed and a telephone appointment can be quite tricky for that I think.

Thank you, Vicky 

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 19:22

I made the mistake of trying to anticipate my biopsy result & got the wrong answer ! I also spent an age preparing a load of questions so that at the end of the day I almost felt that I was starting to be a little bit knowledgeable - I got that wrong as well ! 

I am perhaps one of the 'fortunate' ones - I went through my first diagnostic cycle of MRI , CT, & biopsy in 2020 when no cancer was found - this was repeated in late 2022 as my PSA had risen to 38.2, after correction for the effect of finasteride - MRI a PIRADS 5, so cancer very likely - transperineal biopsy on 24 November when 39 'cores' were taken - results 5 January 2023 - once again 'no cancer found'.

We probably all go through this expecting the 'worst' outcome but that is a not a foregone conclusion. I am sure that there would be a further 'in depth' consultation if treatment is necessary - the first step is the biopsy result & it would be prudent to have a few questions to enable you to fully understand what has been found. Hopefully nothing further will be necessary. All the best.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 20:29

Hi Vicky 

phone appointment is not too big a problem. I was diagnosed in December and have had a couple of phone appointments due to my work and travel. I found them okay but not great at least I had the diagnosis…..I am a bit annoyed you have to wait until February however, that seems excessive.Has OH had all the scans biopsies etc?

N

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 21:20

Hi Nigel

Yes he had MRI back in October, then biopsy last week. So we have another 4 weeks until the telephone appointment. Thanks for the reassurance on that, appreciate it

Vicky

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 21:39

Vicky 

it seems a long time to be honest

i had my biopsy results in a week

give them a kick 😉

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 21:51

I don't know what your MRI found but for someone to take 4 weeks to ring seems quite a while even if it's benign.  I was thinking it was a long time after the MRI.

A Macmillan nurse told me my results in 2016, 2 weeks after the biopsy.

Edited by member 12 Jan 2023 at 23:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 22:29

It was 3 weeks for me to get my biopsy results. Actually, 3 weeks for every test result.

This was before COVID, and there is now a major shortage of histologists, so a week longer isn't surprising.