I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

10 months on from RP

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 17:37

Hello everyone. I had a third PSA test this week, followed by a consultation with a new Marsden doctor to talk things over (RP last March with histology of T2C and negative margins). In September, my PSA had risen to 0.03, and this time round, it progressed further to 0.04. Not in need of further intervention at this stage. But hospital none the wiser on whether this is benign prostate cells left over from the RP emitting PSA or what he referred to as "indolent" disease possibly emanating from the lynch nodes (which was a new one on me, given there had been no need for nerve-sparing etc). So I'm still feeling a little anxious, if resigned to waiting for the next test in three months' time.  

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 18:31

Hi superhoop,

To clarify 0.04 or 0.03, is this not considered undetectable?

My post op PSA is <0.049, as stated on my notes 'undetectable'. I asked about sensitivity of tests and the consensus is that this depends on the lab. 

Sorry if I am missing something.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 18:53

Not at the Marsden, where detectable commences at 0.01, which is what I had straight after the operation. I've asked to be referred to an oncologist, though in the knowledge that it's too early to think about salvage.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 18:55

Ok interesting, thank you for the clarification. 

User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 01:05

Some labs will only go to a reading of <0.1 which would still be considered undetectable in that case.

We would want another PSMA pet scan if my husbands PSA started to rise (his is measured to <0.025) but we were told that this isn’t likely to happen until his psa reached 0.3.

I can understand the anxiety of waiting 3 months for another test, although like you say a big possibility of some benign cells causing it. Is it worth asking if you could have monthly tests for now? Possibly your consultant could write to your GP if easier to get them there….that’s what we do.

Best wishes

Elaine

User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 15:30
The difference between 0.03 and 0.04 could simply be a matter of rounding errors. Given most hospitals aren't going to consider any action until the level reaches 0.20, there is a possibility that more frequent measurements will increase your anxiety levels without actually changing what is done.
User
Posted 29 Jan 2023 at 19:13

I am seeing an oncologist on Wednesday. I don't expect I'll get any more reassurance but it feels like something I should do. I'll also ask him about Maggie's.