Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy after RP without Having HT

User
Posted 17 Jan 2023 at 16:17

Hi all

my husband has been offered radiotherapy(20 sessions) without HT . His psa has risen gradually over last three & half years so looks at though at some point it will have to be dealt with the further treatment current reading 0.14)  has anyone had RT without hormones pre treatment and have any advice. Also a trial is available to use a daily spacing device at each session which should move bowel ‘out of the way’ slightly- so he has to decide on whether to trial this.  Any advice appreciated if you have used this or any about the radiation treatment generally - thank you

User
Posted 17 Jan 2023 at 17:46

Hi, I had 20 fractions of salvage RT without HT in July last year. I found it manageable, especially as there were no HT side effects to contend with. 

Figuring out the logistics of travelling to and from the treatment centre is worth considering, noting any toilet stops en route just in case. 

I was in the treatment room typically up to ten minutes each day, so bladder control is important as they require it full. 

After a week or so of treatment, trust a fart less and less so it may be worth sitting down to pee as a precaution. 

I didn't have a spacer and I'm no expert so I can't add anything on that. 

There should be a planning scan before treatment starts so there will be a Q&A session. 

Good luck, 

Kev.

User
Posted 17 Jan 2023 at 19:03

Thank you Kev, how did you feel fatigue wise? 

User
Posted 17 Jan 2023 at 19:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thank you Kev, how did you feel fatigue wise? 

Hi,

I didn't really suffer with fatigue, although there was one day when I over-did cycling and swimming. I suppose I wanted to power through treatment and prove something to myself. 

I had a weekend at the end feeling a little washed out, but then a few days later I tested positive for covid.

I'm speculating, but judging by what others say on here, I suspect HT plays a big part in fatigue. 

Kev.

User
Posted 17 Jan 2023 at 20:29

That’s great to hear- thank you! Brilliant you are cycling and swimming too. I hope your recovery is good- cycling st the moment is a bit chilly though for sure!  Best wishes to you.

User
Posted 17 Jan 2023 at 21:15

How58, I had salvage RT without HT because it was thought the HT would make the treatment to toxic for a stricture I had. No fatigue.

My PSA dropped from 0.27 to 0.04 six months after completion of SRT, but then slowly started to climb.

I was refused a PSMA scan prior to SRT and the Salvage treatment to the prostate bed was based on a "very educated guess" 4 years after SRT with a PSA of 1.4 they found a tumor in a pelvic lymph node and I had SABR RT in August last year.

I am biased to having a PSMA scan prior to salvage RT because it didn't eradicate my cancer and didn't do my bladder any favours.

No experience of spacers, but had it been available,  it may have reduced the damage to my bladder. On a positive my bowel faired very well and if anything has been better since surgery and two lots of RT.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 17 Jan 2023 at 21:19  | Reason: Not specified