Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Female relative

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 14:16

Hi

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong area. I was unsure.

My paternal uncle was diagnosed at 50 with aggressive prostate cancer that hadn’t spread. He had surgery and needed no other treatment. That was 15 years ago so he’s now 65.

My dad was told he had ASAP on a biopsy (cells to small to rule cancer in/out) about 3 years ago when he was 67. He’s now 70 and still monitored by PSA.

I’m 40 with a healthy 45 year old sister. My Dad/uncle have no aunts or sisters and their died died at 40 from heart problems.

I’ve done so much reading and got myself in a state that I’m going to get breast cancer with this family history. The more I read, the more confused I get.

Any input would be very much appreciated. I don’t know if this is mainly my health anxiety but I’m a wreck :(

Thank you 

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 15:25
Gosh, I think you have had some misinformation. Hopefully, we can reassure you.

Genetically linked prostate cancer is very rare - thought to be less than 5% of all prostate cancers. The indicators in a family are:

- diagnosed young with advanced prostate cancer or one that is persistent and does not respond well to usual treatments (e.g becomes hormone resistant very quickly)

- a significant pattern of male relatives diagnosed young with prostate cancer

- male breast cancer

- mother and other female relatives diagnosed young with breast cancer (generally, in their 30s or early 40s)

- close relatives diagnosed with other hormonal cancers such as uterine or ovarian cancer

- being (or descendng from) an Ashkenazi Jew

You seem to have very few if any risk factors. Your uncle was youngish at 50 but his treatment was successful so the cancer was not particularly resistant. Your dad was diagnosed in his 60s - about 60% of men in their 60s have prostate cancer so it might be more unusual if he didn't have it by now! There are no aunts but you don't mention your grandma having a hormone cancer in her 30s or 40s - presumably, if dad's mum had died young you would know because he would have been orphaned with his dad dying so young?

As a woman, you have something like a 15% chance of getting breast cancer at some point but that doesn't increase because of your dad and uncle. It is essential that you check yourself regularly. If you are really worried, you could ask the GP to refer you for a BRCA test (and other genetic tests if your dad is a European Jew) but you may have to pay. Also worth bearing in mind that, if you did turn out to have a gene fault, you may find it very difficult to get things like a mortgage or life insurance in the future. Some things we are better not knowing until all our big life plans are sorted!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 17:42
Yes, I think you should try to relax. You are about to go on a wonderful holiday - there is a small risk of skin cancer in the future but it doesn't stop you from living your best life!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 15:25
Gosh, I think you have had some misinformation. Hopefully, we can reassure you.

Genetically linked prostate cancer is very rare - thought to be less than 5% of all prostate cancers. The indicators in a family are:

- diagnosed young with advanced prostate cancer or one that is persistent and does not respond well to usual treatments (e.g becomes hormone resistant very quickly)

- a significant pattern of male relatives diagnosed young with prostate cancer

- male breast cancer

- mother and other female relatives diagnosed young with breast cancer (generally, in their 30s or early 40s)

- close relatives diagnosed with other hormonal cancers such as uterine or ovarian cancer

- being (or descendng from) an Ashkenazi Jew

You seem to have very few if any risk factors. Your uncle was youngish at 50 but his treatment was successful so the cancer was not particularly resistant. Your dad was diagnosed in his 60s - about 60% of men in their 60s have prostate cancer so it might be more unusual if he didn't have it by now! There are no aunts but you don't mention your grandma having a hormone cancer in her 30s or 40s - presumably, if dad's mum had died young you would know because he would have been orphaned with his dad dying so young?

As a woman, you have something like a 15% chance of getting breast cancer at some point but that doesn't increase because of your dad and uncle. It is essential that you check yourself regularly. If you are really worried, you could ask the GP to refer you for a BRCA test (and other genetic tests if your dad is a European Jew) but you may have to pay. Also worth bearing in mind that, if you did turn out to have a gene fault, you may find it very difficult to get things like a mortgage or life insurance in the future. Some things we are better not knowing until all our big life plans are sorted!

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 15:46

Hi Lyn

Thank you so much for your reply. You have no idea how much I’ve been worrying.

Dad’s mum died at 86 - not from cancer.

Not sure what my great grandparents died of but surely that doesn’t make much difference? I know they died in their early 60s.

I’m about to fly to Dubai on holiday and this is what I’m obsessing over :/ 

I can relax, right? Sorry :(

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 17:42
Yes, I think you should try to relax. You are about to go on a wonderful holiday - there is a small risk of skin cancer in the future but it doesn't stop you from living your best life!

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 17:45

Skin cancer from the holiday or genetics? Lol

Promise I’ll shut up after this one lol

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 19:54
Ha! No, I meant from being laid out on a sunbed in 40° sunshine! Of course you may not be a sun worshipper but I am :-/

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 20:04

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Ha! No, I meant from being laid out on a sunbed in 40° sunshine! Of course you may not be a sun worshipper but I am :-/

Haha! Thank you!

It really means a lot that you have taken the time to reassure me x I’ll have a cocktail for you! 

User
Posted 14 Feb 2023 at 21:00

Hi Stargazing

I'm thinking you've had your holiday and back home. I hope you had a wonderful time.

I relate to what you are asking, as my wife's male relatives had Prostrate Cancer at 66 and 68 and she was concerned as her Dad's Mother and his Sister had Breast Cancer age 50 had a Mastectomy + years on Tamoxifen and it returned in same area at age 63. 

My wife was told she had Breast Cancer following her very first Mammogram and had Surgery and Rads, which was a shock, she had a fear that like her Aunt, it would return, and it did but in her other Breast exactly 13 years later like her Aunt. 

She discussed with her Cancer Team both her male relatives Prostrate Cancer and her Female Relatives'  Breast Cancer (as we have Sons and a Daughter plus Grandchildren), and she was advised by Oncologist Consultant that the concensus of opinion amongst Academic Researchers is that if BOTH Prostrate Cancer and Breast Cancer are Hormone related then yes they are likely to be a result of Genetics, but it is still very early days in their Studies. He advised that our Sons and Daughter  should have regular PSA Tests and Smear Tests to find ANYTHING at an early stage.

May not be exactly what you want to hear but with regular self testing and Smear Tests each year at least you can keep yourself as safe as possible rather than trying to brush it under the carpet.

My wife and I have BOTH been diagnosed with Cancer, she with Breast  Ca. And myself with Prostrate Ca. You couldn't make it up!

Scott

User
Posted 14 Feb 2023 at 23:38

As stated earlier in the thread, genetic prostate cancer accounts for around 5% - 10% of cases - usually linked to the BRCA genes. New research by Royal Marsden / PCUK published last month suggests that men with a strong family history of hormonal cancers such as PCa / breast cancer have better outcomes than those who don't - possibly because those men are more likely to monitor their PSA and see a GP if they have any symptoms but also, if a man is diagnosed very young and out of the blue, the cancer tends to be more aggressive / persistent. We have seen that anecdotally with men who have joined this forum following diagnosis in their 30s and early 40s

https://www.icr.ac.uk/news-archive%2Fstrong-family-history-of-prostate-cancer-linked-to-better-survival?utm_medium=email&utm_source=rasa_io&utm_campaign=newsletter 

Edited by member 14 Feb 2023 at 23:39  | Reason: to activate hyperlink

User
Posted 14 Feb 2023 at 23:46

My brain is in overdrive now again :/

I mean, in my case, I can’t just assume that if I had female aunts and great aunts that they would have had breast cancer, right?

I just have my uncle and Dad with prostate cancer. No aunts or great aunts exist to know more.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2023 at 17:22

Hi Scott

What relationship were the prostate cancers cases to your wife?

Thanks

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Stargazing

I'm thinking you've had your holiday and back home. I hope you had a wonderful time.

I relate to what you are asking, as my wife's male relatives had Prostrate Cancer at 66 and 68 and she was concerned as her Dad's Mother and his Sister had Breast Cancer age 50 had a Mastectomy + years on Tamoxifen and it returned in same area at age 63. 

My wife was told she had Breast Cancer following her very first Mammogram and had Surgery and Rads, which was a shock, she had a fear that like her Aunt, it would return, and it did but in her other Breast exactly 13 years later like her Aunt. 

She discussed with her Cancer Team both her male relatives Prostrate Cancer and her Female Relatives'  Breast Cancer (as we have Sons and a Daughter plus Grandchildren), and she was advised by Oncologist Consultant that the concensus of opinion amongst Academic Researchers is that if BOTH Prostrate Cancer and Breast Cancer are Hormone related then yes they are likely to be a result of Genetics, but it is still very early days in their Studies. He advised that our Sons and Daughter  should have regular PSA Tests and Smear Tests to find ANYTHING at an early stage.

May not be exactly what you want to hear but with regular self testing and Smear Tests each year at least you can keep yourself as safe as possible rather than trying to brush it under the carpet.

My wife and I have BOTH been diagnosed with Cancer, she with Breast  Ca. And myself with Prostrate Ca. You couldn't make it up!

Scott

User
Posted 16 Feb 2023 at 09:37

Hi Lyn

I tried to drop you a message but it said your inbox was full.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2023 at 12:10
Ah, sorry Stargazing - I don't do PMs. I think it is really important that conversations are held openly so that any errors, misunderstanding or bias can be picked up and corrected by other members.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2023 at 13:51

That’s ok. Just you were a lot of help before.

I was just going to ask: I can’t compare my history to Scott’s wife’s, can I? I mean, I can’t just assume they’d be breast cancer in my family if they’d been more females?

User
Posted 16 Feb 2023 at 19:21

No, you can't (and mustn't) assume that these female relatives would have had cancer if they had existed - you would drive yourself round the bend if you thought about all the possible genetic faults that you may have inherited and just don't know about. As I said to you before, your dad & uncle's history isn't strongly suggestive of a gene fault and you & your sister have made it to your 40s without getting early onset breast or uterine / ovarian cancer. The point is to be aware of the small possibility and get checked regularly but that would apply anyway just because breast cancer is so common. My family has a brain tumour gene so, being aware of that, I would see the GP and ask for a referral if I had any symptoms.

Edited by member 16 Feb 2023 at 19:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Feb 2023 at 23:45

Hi Stargazing

Sorry I did try to find out how to reply to your private question but I was unable to. 

As Lyn has said, if worried talk with your GP; plus regularly check yourself

I think worrying about what may/may not happen is a waste of precious time, just do what my wife does and wrings as much joy out of each day as she can; sings out loudly to piped music played in the Supermarket particularly 60/70s music; dancing when the mood takes her. Her joy at life is infectious and she cheers up many.

Scott