I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

On being "pushy".-some advice.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 15:47

I,m now on holiday abroad,recovering from my cancer op last September. Thought it the right time to

reminisce about what happened to me these last few years.

I went to one of my local GP's (all women ,part-timers) back in November 2018, when I was then 71.Apart from chronic ulcerative colitis, which has been quiescent for over 25 years, I had no other what are called co-morbidities,being a regular gym goer & swimmer,& very fit. I told the doctor I felt I was peeing too much throughout the day and that I was increasingly not getting to the loo in time and peeing myself a little.She asked if I wanted a DRE(digital rectal examination),though the manner in which she asked it gave me the impression she wasn't the only one who was not too keen to do it! As a U.C.patient I have had many DRE's down the years ,but one never gets used to it. Anyhow, I was gobsmacked when,no sooner had I got on my side to await the inevitable, that after feeling ever such a slight touch on my anus,the young lady shot up back to her chair, and in a rather blasee manner said "Yes,you have got an enlarged prostate but that's very common."A PSA blood test was ordered and I was out the door in 10 minutes.As I said earlier,I know ,as does anyone,when they,ve had a finger inserted up their bum, but I was just too shocked & somewhat puzzled as to what had just happened to say anything to her..

And her statement about having an enlarged prostate was clearly a lie, one,because she had never gone near me and two, because the CNS who carried out my biopsy in 2022 said the MRI showed I had a smaller than average prostate!

The receptionist phoned me back in Nov 2018 to  say my PSA was "normal "-no figure given.

For the next 4 years I took something (pomegranite -based) which actually relieved my symptoms so I

carried on life as normal,until I had a private health M.O.T which showed I had a PSA of 11.1. I went back to a different doctor  who fast tracked me to Charing Cross hospital, had the op end of September 2022(HIFU) and am now endeavouring to cope with the side effects(another story for another time).I learned from my surgery records that my PSA back in Nov 2018 was 4.7,on the cusp of what is regarded as normal for my age. Given it was as it was why didn't the GP have me back a year later to monitor the PSA figure? Interestingly enough, even though we all know how difficult it is to get a GP appointment these days,the errant GP of whom I had the misfortune to see initially,always seems to have some vacancies.I wonder why that is?

My advice to anyone who goes to their GP with the symptoms I have described is to make sure the doctor does a genuine DRE to feel for any lumps or hardness on the prostate. And if you're 50 years or more I understand you are entitled to have an annual PSA test .I may be wrong on this so some other members much more knowledgeable than me may correct this.Even if you're under 50 insist the doctor does something to allay your fears, such as getting a PSA, a consultation at your local urology clinic etc.Don't be palmed off or soft soaped then out the door.Be pushy if the situation calls for it.Mazza 75.