I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

1st chemo session today

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 17:57

Hi , I have just had my first chemo session of 6 , have looked at the side effects , just wondered if anyone had any input of what to expect generally. Thanks 

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 20:11

My father is current on session 5 of chemo. He has tolerated it fairly well. Experienced extreme fatigue from 3 to 6 post chemo. He also struggled with the high does of steroids they give. We also advised him to isolate for the high risk days 6 to 10 post chemo when white cells drop. Hope your experience goes okay- all the best. 

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 20:24

I had round three last week so just ahead of you.

The main side effects I've noticed are:

- Very fatigued for the first 4-5 days.  After this I have noticeable improvement each day and by day 9 feeling pretty good if a bit sluggish.

- Taste is pretty bad over the same timelines.  I just avoid certain foods that I find taste bad (like bananas).  But it does recover by about day 9.

- I find it helps to keep active.  For example I walk every day and by day 5 or 6 find I have enough energy drag myself to the gym.  I had chemo last Wednesday week, and today was out skiing in France but just taking it a bit easier than normal.

- Work wise I quit after 2 sessions and will go back when chemo is finished.  I wasn't very productive about a week after chemo so it made sense rather than jumping in and out of work.

No idea how the remaining 3 sessions will go so just taking them one at a time.  

Best wishes.

Edited by member 20 Jan 2023 at 20:25  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 20:11

My father is current on session 5 of chemo. He has tolerated it fairly well. Experienced extreme fatigue from 3 to 6 post chemo. He also struggled with the high does of steroids they give. We also advised him to isolate for the high risk days 6 to 10 post chemo when white cells drop. Hope your experience goes okay- all the best. 

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 20:24

I had round three last week so just ahead of you.

The main side effects I've noticed are:

- Very fatigued for the first 4-5 days.  After this I have noticeable improvement each day and by day 9 feeling pretty good if a bit sluggish.

- Taste is pretty bad over the same timelines.  I just avoid certain foods that I find taste bad (like bananas).  But it does recover by about day 9.

- I find it helps to keep active.  For example I walk every day and by day 5 or 6 find I have enough energy drag myself to the gym.  I had chemo last Wednesday week, and today was out skiing in France but just taking it a bit easier than normal.

- Work wise I quit after 2 sessions and will go back when chemo is finished.  I wasn't very productive about a week after chemo so it made sense rather than jumping in and out of work.

No idea how the remaining 3 sessions will go so just taking them one at a time.  

Best wishes.

Edited by member 20 Jan 2023 at 20:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jan 2023 at 20:37
Thanks for your input , much appreciated