Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Understand your symptoms

User
Posted 23 Jan 2023 at 21:44

hi all 

I have been thinking about symptoms. I had reduced pee flow for some time but dismissed it as age. Blah blah .

what made me think a little more seriously about the situation was a change to ejaculate I noticed a change to quantity, colour and thickness

all small changes but that is what convinced me to talk to my OH and resulted in the PSA test.

thank god I didn’t leave it any longer!

My point is I don’t know if what I observed is typical or not  I sort of hope it is and people can start to recognise the signs

N

Edited by member 24 Jan 2023 at 18:33  | Reason: Typos

User
Posted 24 Jan 2023 at 00:10

Good topic, again, 44n. I was thinking, in the light of the PSA thread that psa alone would not have got me on this exciting journey. I got up to psa 9 with my GP not suggesting any tests/scans.

For me it was traces of blood in my semen which alarmed me and had me asking questions. At that point it was off on the test path ... DRE showed nothing, MRI was indeterminate, Biopsy and PSMA PET scans were needed to make the G9 with 3 lymph mets clear.

Not  much point in preaching to the converted here but men in the wide world beyond this forum should be keeping an eye on more than their PSA for sure.

Jules

User
Posted 24 Jan 2023 at 17:56

Nigel. What you describe were exactly my symptoms. I mentioned the slow pee flow at a Wellman clinic appointment and asked for a PSA. However I was talked out of it by the locum GP. I did nothing for three years but the change to my semen was causing further worry. I am thankful to my wife and a friend who made a two pronged attack to persuade me to get a PSA test. Thankfully no one tried to talk me out of it this time. If I had only insisted on a PSA three years earlier I would have probably avoided a T3b diagnosis with a lymph node met. But what's done is done. No good looking back. 

C

User
Posted 24 Jan 2023 at 18:31

Thanks for posts chaps!

Interesting that I wasn’t alone. On the back of a lack of a screening programme and let’s be honest here I wonder if the take up would be low, it can’t hurt to share how people came to finally get the test.

The point of this was to highlight to others not yet on the journey to help themselves and trust their own judgement when things change. I am another example of spread to lymph nodes and no surgical option that could have been avoided if I hadn’t dismissed the signs

N

User
Posted 24 Jan 2023 at 18:34
John had no symptoms and asked his GP for a test simply because my dad and his dad had both been diagnosed. Age 50, his PSA was 3.1, DRE normal but the trainee GP decided to refer him to urology "just in case". Thank God for young doctors who have covered PCa in their training!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Jan 2023 at 01:06

Most men diagnosed have no symptoms of prostate cancer - it rarely causes symptoms before it's metastatic, and often not even then for a while. The symptoms most frequently talked about are the lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) of urgency, getting up many times at night, hesitancy, peeing slowly, etc. These are almost always due to an enlarged prostate, which is not usually cancer, but Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). A recent research paper has highlighted that talking about prostate cancer symptoms is causing men without symptoms to assume they're OK, which absolutely isn't the case and is delaying many diagnosis. Actually, it looks like BPH slightly lowers your risk of prostate cancer, so it's probably the men with no symptoms who are at higher risk.

Blood in urine/semen, and loss of erections are still important symptoms which, although not often prostate cancer, can be other serious things that need picking up quickly.

When doing awareness, rather than mentioning symptoms, you should concentrate on mentioning risks. These would be:
Being aged 50 or older, 1 in 8 men (or 1 in 6 men born since 1960) will get prostate cancer.
For Black men, this is age 45 or older, and 1 in 4 men will get prostate cancer.
Having a brother or father with prostate cancer more than doubles the risk.
Having a mother or sister with breast cancer below age 60 increases the risk by around 20%.
Ideally, you want prostate cancer detected before it's causing any symptoms.

The risk of over treatment has reduced massively in the last 5 years, with the introduction of mpMRI before biopsy, and with the use of Active Surveillance.

User
Posted 25 Jan 2023 at 07:36

Like others on here, I had no symptoms other than a reduced flow when urinating, which I put down to getting older.

It was only after reading in the paper in 2018 that Michael Parkinson, Billy Connolly and Stephen Fry had all been diagnosed with prostate cancer and were urging men over 50 to get tested that I, at age 60, decided to do so. I initially had a private pin-prick sending the sample off in the post PSA test and when that came back with a recording of 6.26 I contacted my local GP. I was called in and had a DRE (nothing found other than a slightly enlarged prostate) and a "proper" injection in arm blood test. Because that found that my PSA was "only" 3.58 the GP and I decided to take no further action at that time. Roll on 3 years and another private pin-prick test ( PSA 7.54),  I again contacted the GP and after a blood was taken my PSA was found to be 5.32. The GP decided to undertake another PSA test a month later and when that recorded a PSA figure of 5.76 I was then put on the fast track cancer pathway- which, after biopsies, scans and another PSA test ( 6.01 in September 2021) resulted in me having my prostate removed a few days before Christmas 2021.

Without reading that article back in 2018 and deciding to take action, I would probably still be unaware that I had  prostate cancer and  might not have known until it was too late to take curative action.   

Notwithstanding the fact that the PSA test is far from perfect, I think men of 50 and over should be encouraged to have regular PSA testing and I certainly tell all my friends and relatives to do just that.

Ivan

User
Posted 25 Jan 2023 at 09:15
My only symptom (and there seems to be some question as to this being a symptom) was persistent lower backpain. My GP was doubtful, and his DRE revealed nothing, but he did a PSA test anyway, and it was 14.0. That's when the machine kicked into gear. I was referred to my local Urology unit, and my treatment started soon after. Most recent PSA (3 years after completing treatment) was 0.04. The radio therapy has left me with some niggling side effects, and a cytoscopy last year (to investigate blood in my urine) showed me the scarring in my bladder (!), but I can't complain. Cytoscopy, by the way, isn't much fun, but if you can watch the TV screen it's really interesting!

Hermit

User
Posted 25 Jan 2023 at 13:37

My start point was also a small show of blood in urine. Not much and only one. I probably wouldn't have thought any more about it, but it had happened a couple of years earlier as well, so I was perhaps sensitised to look for it. I was whisked in for a DRE ( inconclusive) and a cystoscopy - also inconclusive although it gave me a UTI. That was significant as it delayed my eventual blood test til  about 6 months after first presentation. It came out at a PSA just short of 18, which was initially seen as a potential recurrence of the UTI, so the first step was a urine test. By the time I  got to a biopsy it was 8 months after first putting my hand up... It's amazing how the 3 week 'test, wait and review results' cycles add up to something a bit chunky!

User
Posted 25 Jan 2023 at 19:22

Thanks for joining the chat

Although I am early on in my treatment having just started HT I am optimistic about a good result in spite of the T3a N1 diagnosis and the fact I am too far gone for surgery ( not that I would necessarily have chosen that treatment).

Partly the reason for this post is that I have a path for educating people at work and I feel I should do something but I am nervous for a couple of reasons. First being as I said I am quite new to this and second do I want to share my situation with a very large community and be able to talk intelligently on the subject.

N

User
Posted 25 Jan 2023 at 20:49

There is no reason, Nigel, with the numbers you have posted why you should not be optimistic about  getting a good result. My prostate was removed and the histology once it was sliced and diced was upgraded from T2 to T3a, with the Gleason score (3+4=7, with less than 5% of the cancer being grade 4) & the N0 category remaining the same. Just over 1 year on my PSA is undetectable, my flow is as it was when I was a teen and I am able to get hard without taking drugs (Though no semen). Though you do have a lymph node with prostate cancer, I don't consider you are "too far gone for surgery" (Elaine's other half who had a number of nodes affected had his prostate removed). In fact,  there is some evidence to suggest that having the mother ship (The prostate) and the affected nodes removed and, if necessary undergoing RT, has a better outcome over a 10 year period.

Ivan

User
Posted 25 Jan 2023 at 21:14

Hi Ivan,

the no surgery was the MDT opinion and having seen my PET scan results I get it .

However very positive with the HT and RT treatment decision 

HT so far no side effects.  But I recognise it is early days…..

N