I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Frank Field's failed Active Surveillance

User
Posted 29 Jan 2023 at 16:56

Today’s Observer has a piece about former MP for Birkenhead Frank Field’s experience of terminal PCa. He mentions that “the hospital said, we must keep a watching brief on this. And they didn’t. It spread everywhere”. I do not want to intrude on his privacy and personal trauma, but does anyone know how this happened? Which hospital was it? What was his Gleason score? How did active surveillance go so wrong?

User
Posted 29 Jan 2023 at 18:05
Some hospitals ignore the NICE guidance on AS - they failed to realise that my father-in-law's prostate cancer had become advanced by relying only on PSA and refusing to do a scan when we suspected the situation was changing. This MP may not have been going for regular PSA tests or he may have had a non-PSA secreting cancer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Jan 2023 at 19:36
I haven't any idea of the circumstances surrounding Frank Fields circumstances with PCa, perhaps the article was 'typically not complete'? but Frank Field is from the Wirral and in all likelihood be under Clatterbridge Cancer Hospital (I don't know that of course) I'd be surprised if they couldn't be bothered keeping an eye on AS. But strange things happen and clearly don't know what happened.

I'm 'under' Clatterbridge still and have received good care from everyone there.

Peter

User
Posted 29 Jan 2023 at 19:55

Perhaps. Though the article today mentions that he's lived in a flat half a mile from the House of Commons since he became an MP so I was assuming a London hospital. 

User
Posted 29 Jan 2023 at 20:08
Yes you are probably right, it probably I just seems like he was always on the streets of Birkenhead

Peter