I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dry skin - skin splits on fingers

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 07:03

Is anyone else suffering from dry skin and skin splits? My face is very dry but it is my fingers that are the worst with painful skin splits on just about every finger. I’ve been using loads of moisturiser to try and combat this but nothing seems enough. (It doesn’t help peeing so much and so washing your hands so often every day and night).

I’m coming up to 6 months on Prostap; 5 months into Abiraterone & Prednisolone and I’m 17 days through my 37 radiotherapy.

I’ve read that ADT can impact your sebaceous gland and cause this (albeit the report was not in the context of Prostate Cancer treatment).

I’m going to visit my GP next week to try and get something more effective than what I’ve got. Anyone used anything good?

Thanks - Ian

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 11:09

My feet have in the past been dry, long before cancer treatment. The cream for that has urea as an active ingredient. Some people use urine as a moisturizer (Google it)! 

Dave

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 11:51
Haven't heard this problem due to HT but I do have a slight problem with my back and was advised by Dermatologist when checking for a different problem some years ago, to use moisturiser or a little oil on it. The only time I suffered splits down my fingers was when I did my National Service Army Training. It was very cold in February and part of January and March. Among other things we were handling cold weapons on ranges and on assault courses and outside drills. I would think being exposed to freezing weather working as a builder or gardener might produce similar results although these trades have the option of wearing gloves!
Barry
User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 13:41
When skin is that dry, moisturiser can be the worst thing going. Best to have the GP check for fungal infection (John has had this recently on both hands) and assuming not fungal, a proper emollient cream or oil.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 13:44

Thanks all. I’ll go and see my GP next week. Best Ian

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 20:23

Yes, dry skin and brittle nails are a possible side effect of hormone therapy.

It could be something else of course.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2023 at 20:57

Hi Ian,

My OH has been on prostrap for 3 months and has very dry skin particularly on his face. He’s just been using Aveeno and that appears to have helped.

Nic

User
Posted 21 Feb 2023 at 21:30

My husband’s chemo nurse suggested Udderly Smooth which is available on Amazon. It has really made a difference.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2023 at 21:51

I'm not on any treatments but have had cracking hand skin, cracking nails, cracking heel skin,  dry scalp.  These all come and go. 

For hands try Neutrogena Norwegian Formula concentrated.  My wife bought it for my nails but when I got cracking hands it cleared it very fast.

For others, Boots No7 for Men lotion or E45 might help.