I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Can a PSA reading be affected by bad cough?

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 11:40

Since Dec 2019 my PSA has been hovering anywhere between 5.74 to 8.65 (Jan 22) and down to 7.41 (Oct 2022). This week 6 Feb 2023 it has shot up to 23.x. I have no symptoms of any changes except that I caught this cough bug that's going round at the moment around Jan 25. It seems this bug lasts up to a month so I'm wondering could all this persistant coughing account for the sudden jump in PSA?

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 12:47

I would be surprised if a cough bug could do that.

There are things like the COVID jab, which caused a small rise. Cycling can, but that increase is about 0.5 not 20 or more.

An infection of the prostate could cause that rise without it being cancer, but I would be surprised if that infection also caused a cough. 

The only answer is further investigation required.

Dave

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 23:37

Most long term psa data we see if from people who've been treated.    You've not been treated but for a psa to treble in 3 months seems more likely to be an infection.   You can get some high readings with infections.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 05:02

Having COVID or having a COVID jab can cause a significant rise in PSA for a month or so. I don't know if current COVID variants cause a cough, but the early ones certainly did.

Ideally a GP would check for a UTI (which might not have any symptoms), treat it if necessary, and retest PSA in 4-6 weeks.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 06:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Having COVID or having a COVID jab can cause a significant rise in PSA for a month or so. I don't know if current COVID variants cause a cough, but the early ones certainly did.

Ideally a GP would check for a UTI (which might not have any symptoms), treat it if necessary, and retest PSA in 4-6 weeks.

What's your evidence for that Andy62??

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 12:47

I would be surprised if a cough bug could do that.

There are things like the COVID jab, which caused a small rise. Cycling can, but that increase is about 0.5 not 20 or more.

An infection of the prostate could cause that rise without it being cancer, but I would be surprised if that infection also caused a cough. 

The only answer is further investigation required.

Dave

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 23:37

Most long term psa data we see if from people who've been treated.    You've not been treated but for a psa to treble in 3 months seems more likely to be an infection.   You can get some high readings with infections.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 05:02

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 06:31

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 09:39

Thanks gentlemen. Full history is Biopsy 2016, positive Gleason 3+4, Turp 2017 (negative samples when tested), Dilatation (for stricture) Oct 2017, MRI Dec 2018 (PIRADS 4), Template biopsy Mar 2019, MRI Feb2021 (volume 43cc) but downgraded to PIRADS 2 and from then on just 3 monthly PSA tests. The sudden rise was unexpected as since all of the above, everything working fine with no discomfort and no sudden need to pee, etc.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2023 at 19:14
A tummy upset or recent sex activity are a couple of things that will raise your PSA level.
User
Posted 23 Feb 2023 at 21:21

Having COVID or having a COVID jab can cause a significant rise in PSA for a month or so.

Variation of Serum PSA Levels in COVID-19 Infected Male Patients with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH): A Prospective Cohort Studys

In the case of the COVID jab, many prostate cancer support groups reported up to 4x increase in PSA test results in the month after a COVID jab which reverted to expected levels at the next PSA test some months later.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 06:53
Interesting but that study only reported on infection not vaccination - just being pedantic.

So Krytens rise could be due to infection with COVID. But he doesn't know if it was COVID. Think I would be ringing my Onco or Uro anyway