I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSE Test

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 21:15

I believe there was an item on Lorraine this morning on TV about a new test called PSE which is much more accurate than PSA test. Does anyone know anything about it?

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 22:10

There's an article in Cancers journal:

Cancers | Free Full-Text | A Novel Blood Proteomic Signature for Prostate Cancer (mdpi.com)

Despite intensive research, effective tools for detection and monitoring of prostate cancer remain to be found. Prostate-specific antigen (PSA), commonly used in prostate cancer assessments, can lead to overdiagnosis and overtreatment of indolent disease. This highlights the need for supporting non-invasive diagnostic, prognostic, and disease stratification biomarkers that could complement PSA in clinical decision-taking via increased sensitivity and specificity. In order to address this need, we uncover novel prostate cancer protein signatures by leveraging a cutting-edge analytical technique to measure proteins in patient samples. This strategy was used as a discovery tool to identify changes in protein levels in the serum of newly diagnosed patients as compared with healthy controls; the feature set was then further validated by reference to a second cohort of patients, achieving a high discriminatory ability. The proteomic maps generated also identified relevant changes in biological functions, notably the complement cascade.

That's the simple version!

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 22:31

I wouldn't be holding my breath. It's one of a series of attempts to find a blood marker which indicates tumerous cells directly rather than indirectly. The proposed test shows some promise,  but the sample size was very small, so there's a long way to go before it can be heralded as a breakthrough.